ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97X Killer + Plextor M8PeY 256GB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silvest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97X Killer + Plextor M8PeY 256GB
    Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 6:16am
Hi,

I just received my PCIe SSD today and when plugged in and also checking the system browser, it still shows the PCIe slot as empty.  My bios is the latest version (2.50).  I've tried clearing CMOS, flashing older bios versions. but it still show up as empty.

To make sure the card wasnt defective or anything I tried it in my other PC system which has a Z87 Killer.
And there it does show up in the system browser and works.

Would anyone know what the problem could be?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Silvest Silvest wrote:

Hi,

I just received my PCIe SSD today and when plugged in and also checking the system browser, it still shows the PCIe slot as empty.  My bios is the latest version (2.50).  I've tried clearing CMOS, flashing older bios versions. but it still show up as empty.

To make sure the card wasnt defective or anything I tried it in my other PC system which has a Z87 Killer.
And there it does show up in the system browser and works.

Would anyone know what the problem could be?

Strange, the Z87 Killer does not have a UEFI with NVMe support.

Don't change to earlier UEFI versions on the Z97X Killer, stick with 2.50 for the latest NVMe support.

Which PCIe slot on the Z97X Killer board did you use for the Plextor SSD?

What other card are you using in the PCIe slots on the Z97X Killer board?

Maybe a bad PCIe x16 slot in that board, they all should be able to support an x4 device. Or it was not seated correctly in the slot on the Z97X board.
Silvest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silvest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 1:12pm
Yeah, the Z87 killer does not support NVME itself but the card did get recognized as seated in the systembrowser (detected as connected to the mobo). Though I doubt it will actually be able to make use of it.

I have tried all 3 PCIe slots, even removed my GPU to test the Plextor.  I am just using 1 PCIe slot for my graphics card (A MSI GTX 970) but as of now I just have the Plextor connected, and using the IGP for my monitor.

It still comes up as empty in the systembrowser no matter what slot I use.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 11:37am
I checked all kinds of things, but I can't find any reason why this SSD cannot be detected by your board. Plextor even includes it in its compatibility list.

It is an M.2 SSD in an adapter card, but that should make no difference.

All I have for you is clearing the UEFI with the boards jumper, with the SSD in a PCIe slot, and trying it again.

Did you ever boot into Windows, and see if Disk Management sees this SSD? Or if you have it formatted now, if it is seen by Windows Explorer?
Silvest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silvest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 6:43pm
The led access light of the card wont be blinking if the bios does not detect it. So no way to be seen anywhere else. Anyway I got it to work but I think the card is defect. It will get recognized as long as unplug/plug it in again while the pc is on. ( I just do it in the bios screen).

If I reboot it will still be detected. But whenever the power gets off, which happens when you just do a shutdown. The next boot will make it undetected again. And I have to unplug and plug it in again.

This accounts for all the PCIe slots I have so I'm certain the slot is not defective. It's either the card or maybe the mobo bios just not detecting it. But my bet is on the card. I'm sending it back anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic