ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - RAID 5 storage after OS installed on M.2 [SOLVED]
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAID 5 storage after OS installed on M.2 [SOLVED]

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadetree1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RAID 5 storage after OS installed on M.2 [SOLVED]
    Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 4:13am
Hello people,

My question, Is it possible to install the AMD RAID drivers on a allready installed M.2 booting OS, then set up UEFI RAID for the SATA storage drives without reinstalling the OS?

I can not find any information regarding this topic and perhaps this AMD motherboard combination system is a bit too new. 

I have a recently upgraded my old HTPC with the 970A-G3.1 motherboard running Windows 7x64 on the M.2 NVME drive.  The BD is on a PCIe SATA3 adapter leaving all 6 native SATA3 ports for internal storage.  The system and apps are all installed and configured working brilliantly.  As it turned out, unintentionally, to be the most rock solid and fastest PC I have, so really not wanting to reinstall Windows and everything as it's busy 24/7. 

I know RAID is a strait setup during installing an OS using the motherboard controller, but I didn't think it would matter since I'm not using SATA3 for a OS boot drive.  My plan was to setup the storage drives later after installing the OS to the M.2.

Thank You for any information!

Edited by shadetree1 - 15 Nov 2016 at 4:58am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 11:19am
Originally posted by shadetree1 shadetree1 wrote:

Hello people,

My question, Is it possible to install the AMD RAID drivers on a allready installed M.2 booting OS, then set up UEFI RAID for the SATA storage drives without reinstalling the OS?

I can not find any information regarding this topic and perhaps this AMD motherboard combination system is a bit too new. 

I have a recently upgraded my old HTPC with the 970A-G3.1 motherboard running Windows 7x64 on the M.2 NVME drive.  The BD is on a PCIe SATA3 adapter leaving all 6 native SATA3 ports for internal storage.  The system and apps are all installed and configured working brilliantly.  As it turned out, unintentionally, to be the most rock solid and fastest PC I have, so really not wanting to reinstall Windows and everything as it's busy 24/7. 

I know RAID is a strait setup during installing an OS using the motherboard controller, but I didn't think it would matter since I'm not using SATA3 for a OS boot drive.  My plan was to setup the storage drives later after installing the OS to the M.2.

Thank You for any information!

I must ask first, you installed Windows 7 on an NVMe M.2 SSD. That can be a bit of a trick with Win 7. You had to install an NVMe driver during the installation. Are you using a Samsung 950 Pro?

You lost me on this statement: "The BD is on a PCIe SATA3 adapter..." Confused  Is that a Bluray optical disk on SATA adapter card? Not sure why that matters regarding your question about RAID.

My question to you is, what is the SATA mode set to now, when you installed Win 7?

If you did not set it to RAID mode, then you might have a problem. Changing to RAID mode after the OS installation can be a pain. It can be done on Intel systems with some work, but an AMD system may be another story.

If you simply change the SATA mode to RAID now, normally the PC won't boot. Windows does not know to load the RAID driver. Installing the RAID driver first does not help, it's there but Windows does not know enough to load it. Registry entries are the problem.

Do you have the ASRock APP Shop program installed? It is on your boards Win 7 download page. Download and install it, run it and look for the Rapid SATA Switch App. It is available for Intel boards, not certain about AMD.

If it is there, download it, which will also install it, then run it. Select RAID of course, and when done, immediately restart the PC into the UEFI/BIOS. Change the SATA mode to RAID, and be sure to maintain it as RAID. A UEFI/BIOS clear or update will set it to the default, AHCI. Save and exit and the PC should boot fine.

No other reason why you cannot use RAID. Install the AMD RAID utility, and have at it.

If that program is not available in APP Shop, and you need to change to RAID mode, start searching the Internet for that procedure. I don't know how to do it for AMD manually. Otherwise, another OS installation with the SATA mode set to RAID is in your future... Angry
shadetree1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadetree1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 6:08pm
Hello again parsec,  

Yes the boot drive is an Samsung 950 Pro.  here http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3390&title=970ag31-m2-help-solved

The Blu-ray (BD) is on the adapter so all six sata3 ports (hope) can be used for an array storage.  I know the manual only show the 3 thru 6 sata3 are available, but their is other missing information about the UEFI setup from it.

The SATA3 mode was installed  as AHCI. here http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1236&title=how-to-install-windows-on-a-pcie-ssd

I don't have the  Asrock APP shop installed.  I keep the server system as lean as possible, but I will try APP Shop to see if the Rapid SATA Switch APP is available and report back.

Thanks mate 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadetree1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 8:42pm
I just installed the ASrock APP shop but no Rapid SATA Switch like intel has or any other utilities to configure storage other than the AMD RAID setup.

The manual has no mention of setting up RAID SATA storage while UEFI booting the M.2 so it may not be possible to install as an upgrade or clean anyway.

My thinking is since the M.2 NVME PCIe drive is completely untied with this motherboard to SATA, I should be able to change the UEFI/BIOS SATA storage emulation from ACHI to RAID without a BSOD.

To test this theory, I was going to temporarily disconnect the 6 data storage HDDs and install a pair of empty matching drives.

The main reason I had to ask for help was this system is up 24/7 and was trying to reduce the down time. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadetree1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 4:54am
I had time to address this RAID setup again, 

Thinking since the OS is on the M.2 PCI2 NVMe "Samsung Pro 650" with it's own NVMe controller not SATA or AHCI.  I backup up an imaged the instlation, and changed the SATA mode to RAID in the BIOS/UEFI, save - reboot.

Windows loaded as usual only showing the C: NVMe drive.  Installed the ASRock AMD AHCI/RAID drivers and all the six previous SATA drives appeared as usual.

Shut down and replaced the 0-4 SATA drives with Constlations, at boot the BIOS/UEFI RAID was ready to setup.

I had reviewed the inatlation procuders for the MVMe noting,  "NVMe (Non Volatile-Memory Express) is a new protocol designed specifically for solid state flash storage. It has nothing shared with SATA, and replaces AHCI with a much improved method of dealing with solid state storage. PCIe NVMe SSDs also have their own NVMe storage controller built in the drive."  So that promped me to try without any modifications to the system.  GO AMD!

Hope this will help other users of AMD SB950 M.2 system boards.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic