ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New build (Z170 Extreme4) dual channel issue?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New build (Z170 Extreme4) dual channel issue?
    Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 3:03am
I'm having an issue with a new system and I would really appreciate any suggestions.

AsRock Z170 Extreme 4
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8 GB) (not on list)
Intel i7 6700K
ASUS GeForce DUAL GTX1060 06G
EVGA 650 W GQ Series
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (disconnected)

The system will not boot with both sticks in either of the dual channel configurations... a2/b2 or a1/b1. It will boot with both sticks in a1/a2 or with a single stick in a1 or a2. It also does not boot with a single stick in b1 or b2 although I'm not sure if this is normal?

I get a boot loop and the debug displays 00>19>00>16>4C. I have tried BIOS A/B and several resets including the full 4 hour battery out method. Tested the following versions:

3.20 (shipped)
7.10 (beta)

Both sticks happily run at 2133MHz or 3000MHz individually and with both installed in single channel mode (a1/a2), but without any successful dual channel boots I can't play with frequencies or voltages.

I was thinking it might be incompatible memory, a bad pair, faulty slots or CPU, but without alternatives to swap out I was going to order a memory kit from the approved list... unless I'm missing something? I suppose I should have done that in the first place, but I have seen plenty or reviewers happy with this board/memory and plenty of others using memory not on the list.

Edited by Alan80 - 28 Oct 2016 at 3:10am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 3:32am
That kit is listed as compatible for Extreme4 according to Corsairs Memory Finder found at http://www.corsair.com/en-us/memory-finder

Corsair, blech ...... I'm not a Corsair memory fan. Been there, done that I have.

Test each stick individually that it will allow booting if you haven't already. Possibly a bad stick there. But this will rule out the memory you have. Far more bad memory sticks than bad memory slots.

Edited by wardog - 28 Oct 2016 at 3:33am
Alan80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 4:11am
Thanks very much for the info. I was going by the AsRock list and didn't think to check the Corsair one.

It makes me worried there is a problem with the motherboard then. I have tested each stick individually and they both work perfectly and the system boots. They also work together when in the first two a1/a2 slots... single channel mode.

Could it be a bad pairing? Just to clarify, the system won't boot with a single stick in either of the second two slots b1/b2... is this normal behaviour?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 4:46am
No, that isn't normal behavior, the system should post with a stick in one of the B slots. My first stop would be to check the pins in the CPU socket, a bent pin could easily cause this issue and is more likely than a bad slot. Also check for any thermal paste/debris on the CPU pads.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 5:24am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

No, that isn't normal behavior, ......My first stop would be to check the pins in the CPU socket, a bent pin could easily cause this issue and is more likely than a bad slot. Also check for any thermal paste/debris on the CPU pads.

Took those words right outta my mouth Xaltar did.
Alan80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 5:37am
I don't think Arctic MX-4 is conductive, but there doesn't appear to be and debris or bent pins... image link below.

Do you think the next step is an alternative mobo?

Alan80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 7:14am
Well on closer examination I spotted what was a very slightly misaligned pin. I realigned it and took great care reassembling and mounting the Cooler Master Hyper 212X Cooler (unfortunately heavy/bulky) and I didn't tighten the spring loaded screws right up to stops this time.

Success! The system posts with an individual stick in all slots and also with the pair in a2/b2 or a1/b1. It's also happy running dual at 3000MHz XMP profile 1.

I'm going to give it some extentive testing and throw Windows on there, but I have lost a little confidence with the board... am I wrong? The mobo was a gift, but I would be OK with buying another if there was going to be some sort of problem in the future. What would you guys do?

Anyway, huge thanks for all the help and advice Thumbs Up
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Alan80 Alan80 wrote:

Well on closer examination I spotted what was a very slightly misaligned pin. I realigned it and took great care reassembling and mounting the Cooler Master Hyper 212X Cooler (unfortunately heavy/bulky) and I didn't tighten the spring loaded screws right up to stops this time.

Success! The system posts with an individual stick in all slots and also with the pair in a2/b2 or a1/b1. It's also happy running dual at 3000MHz XMP profile 1.

I'm going to give it some extentive testing and throw Windows on there, but I have lost a little confidence with the board... am I wrong? The mobo was a gift, but I would be OK with buying another if there was going to be some sort of problem in the future. What would you guys do?

Anyway, huge thanks for all the help and advice Thumbs Up

The board you have is a great board. Problems down the road? The Intel socket(read: pins) has been an assembly issue for even experienced builders. I myself wouldn't worry. Chalk the pin up to Oops, me bad, and move one. You discovered the problem, corrected it, and it's running.

Run it trough its paces.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 2:16pm
Exactly what Wardog said. Bent pins on LGA (Land Grid Array) sockets is a very common issue, both out the box and user caused. The advantage of LGA is that if something breaks it is almost always the socket and the motherboard in most cases is far cheaper than the CPU (unless you bought a cheap CPU and high end board). I see why intel did it. Interestingly however, the socket is a lot more hardy than you would think. It is very difficult to actually break pins in an LGA socket due to their design. I bent a large number of pins on one of my boards when I accidentally dropped the CPU into the socket (it slipped), after a few hours with a magnifying glass and a razor blade I managed to get all the pins back in alignment and the board fired right back up and still works to this day.

As for confidence in the board, ASRock most often accepts RMAs with bent pin issues which is not something I see very often with other manufacturers. Bent pins are 99% of the time caused by the user. If you drop the CPU in corner first, touch inside the socket or drop something in it there is a high chance you bent something. Knowing that ASRock accepts RMAs for bent pins is a huge plus.
J Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 3:08pm
ASRock Z170 Extreme4 Board and memory are very good Thumbs Up
Kind Regards,
JZ

https://shop.JZelectronic.de - Der Shop mit ausgesuchter ASRock Profi Hardware

https://www.facebook.com/asrock.de
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic