ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Z97 Extreme 4 can't boot from pcie ssd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhymeswithleek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock Z97 Extreme 4 can't boot from pcie ssd
    Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 2:46am
Hi guys,

I just bought a Intel SSD 6 m.2 pcie solid state drive, I managed to run the windows setup and it finished installing but now I cant see it in my boot list, only the USB stick I installed windows from, does the z97 support booting from pci express?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Rhymeswithleek Rhymeswithleek wrote:

Hi guys,

I just bought a Intel SSD 6 m.2 pcie solid state drive, I managed to run the windows setup and it finished installing but now I cant see it in my boot list, only the USB stick I installed windows from, does the z97 support booting from pci express?

You have an Intel 600p PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, that you are trying to use as the OS drive, correct?

The Z97 Extreme4 board supports booting an OS from an NVMe SSD, but you must have at least UEFI/BIOS version 2.40 installed, which adds NVMe support to your board. Only then can you use an NVMe SSD as an OS drive.

There is essential information that we must know before we can provide more help. That is:

What UEFI/BIOS version do you have installed now?

What version of Windows are you trying to use?

How do you have the Intel 600p installed in your board? Is it in the M.2 slot? Or are you using an M.2 to PCIe adapter card? If you are using an adapter card, which PCIE slot are you using?

In the boot order when you see the USB Windows installation media, what does the entry in the boot order show for the USB flash drive? What is the full entry in the boot order shown for the USB flash drive?

Do you see more than one entry related to the USB flash drive? That will tell us if you have the USB Windows installation media configured correctly.

PCIe NVMe SSDs are not plug and play devices like SATA SSDs. They are completely different than SATA SSDs and have specific configuration requirements.
bobowyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobowyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 10:07am
Sorry for hijacking your thread, I am using the same motherboard now, so which means I have to update the bios to V2.60 so I can boot from my NVME SSD? I just bought an Intel 760p 512GB M.2 NVME SSD. My bios now is V2.10 if im not mistaken. And May i know why I cant update from the Asrock App?
bobowyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobowyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by Rhymeswithleek Rhymeswithleek wrote:

Hi guys,

You have an Intel 600p PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, that you are trying to use as the OS drive, correct?

The Z97 Extreme4 board supports booting an OS from an NVMe SSD, but you must have at least UEFI/BIOS version 2.40 installed, which adds NVMe support to your board. Only then can you use an NVMe SSD as an OS drive.

There is essential information that we must know before we can provide more help. That is:

What UEFI/BIOS version do you have installed now?

What version of Windows are you trying to use?

How do you have the Intel 600p installed in your board? Is it in the M.2 slot? Or are you using an M.2 to PCIe adapter card? If you are using an adapter card, which PCIE slot are you using?

In the boot order when you see the USB Windows installation media, what does the entry in the boot order show for the USB flash drive? What is the full entry in the boot order shown for the USB flash drive?

Do you see more than one entry related to the USB flash drive? That will tell us if you have the USB Windows installation media configured correctly.

PCIe NVMe SSDs are not plug and play devices like SATA SSDs. They are completely different than SATA SSDs and have specific configuration requirements.

Hi, if I updated to 2.60 straight? Will I be able to use nvme? Or do i have to flash 2.40 first? 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 10:50pm
All subsequent BIOS versions after 2.40 will support NVMe so no, you should not have to flash to 2.40 first, just go to the latest BIOS for your board. 
bobowyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobowyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

All subsequent BIOS versions after 2.40 will support NVMe so no, you should not have to flash to 2.40 first, just go to the latest BIOS for your board. 

Then why cant it work in on my Z97 board but works on my AB350 pro4 board? o.o 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic