ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AM1B-ITX - RAID 0 on all 4 x SATA 3 ports

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zmooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AM1B-ITX - RAID 0 on all 4 x SATA 3 ports
    Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 4:18am
Hi, 

I see in the specs that for AM1B-ITX or AM1H-ITX there are two SATA controllers. One for 2 ports and the second for the other 2 ports.

I quote:

- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors by AMD AM1 Series Socket 25W Quad-Core APU, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug
- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors by ASMedia ASM1061, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug

I would like to add 4 x 15k hdd's in RAID 0, but before buying the MB I want to make sure that this is supported. The things with two different controllers is strange.

Thank you

Edited by zmooky - 04 Nov 2016 at 4:18am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 4:58am
There is no RAID support listed, you just quoted the listed support, AHCI (Advance Host Controller Interface), NCQ (Native Command Queuing) and Hot Plug (as the name suggests the ability to connect and disconnect a device while the system is powered). None of these indicate RAID support.

If you want to utilize RAID 0 with 4 disks you would need to either use a dedicated RAID controller or choose a different board with RAID support, it is not likely you will find an AM1 board that supports it unless it was produced as a workstation/server class product which possesses a third party RAID capable controller. 

Now if you were to use something like Linux you could create a software RAID array but if memory serves you would need to have a separate, non RAIDed boot drive. That means you would either have to boot off a USB drive or only RAID 3 of your disks and have the 4th as the boot device. 

I am guessing you are trying to create a cheap NAS system, probably using FreeNAS? If so the AM1 platform is frowned upon by FreeNAS users, it is not adequate to the task.

[edit] Here is an interesting article about FreeNAS though the same principals apply to other NAS systems too. 

Edited by Xaltar - 04 Nov 2016 at 5:03am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 9:03am
Originally posted by zmooky zmooky wrote:

Hi, 

I see in the specs that for AM1B-ITX or AM1H-ITX there are two SATA controllers. One for 2 ports and the second for the other 2 ports.

I quote:

- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors by AMD AM1 Series Socket 25W Quad-Core APU, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug
- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors by ASMedia ASM1061, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug

I would like to add 4 x 15k hdd's in RAID 0, but before buying the MB I want to make sure that this is supported. The things with two different controllers is strange.

Thank you

The two separate SATA controllers is not strange at all, and has been used by mother board manufactures for years. My six year old Asus X58 board has both Intel and Marvell SATA controllers.

Normally the board's chipset provides the SATA controller. If a mobo manufacture wants to add more SATA ports, they include add on SATA controllers, usually from Marvell and ASMedia.

The AM1 processors used with these boards, are of the SOC type, System On a Chip. They include some or all of the CPU's support chipset functions in the same package as the processor.

Since SOC type processors tend to be simpler devices, the AM1 processors only provide two SATA III ports. ASRock adds one ASMedia SATA chip to provide four total SATA ports.

Xaltar covered the RAID support you asked about.
zmooky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zmooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 5:15pm
Thank you for you replies. I will go for linux software raid as you suggested.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic