ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

booting but no UEFI setup (Riptide X570S PG)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X570S_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: booting but no UEFI setup (Riptide X570S PG)
    Posted: 09 May 2024 at 8:15am
Hi,
just received a setup:
-Riptide X570S Phantom Gaming
-Ryzen 5600
-AMD stock cooler
-2x 16GB Kingston Fury
-SATA SSD
-generic Geforce GT610

This is very comparable to https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=25460&title=b650m-pg-riptide-no-uefi-post.

The system will boot (into Ubuntu 24.04) but i can find no way to enter UEFI setup. If i try to press F2, F12 or Del during poweron, DRAM and CPU post checker LEDs will remain on and the keyboard will freeze (normally, you could activate/deactivate Numlock). In Linux i also tried "sudo systemctl reboot --firmware-setup".

I will have no image (neither via HDMI, DVI or VGA) during the times when one would expect output of the mainboard. But as soon as the Ubuntu Splashscreen starts, there is image.

Because of no image at the start, i let the flashback run to BIOS 5.6.1(beta) from the Asrock website which succeeded but no change. I seem to not be able to put in other BIOS via flashback (the LED just turns steady red; i am currently hypothesizing that you can only upgrade, not downgrade) and the catch is, since i have no picture, i cannot run the BIOS update differently.

Can you advise how i can fix the error?
X570S_user View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X570S_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 3:07pm
i got the hint that the behavior may actually be due to a specific condition: the Ryzen does not have integrated graphics (which i was aware of and i actually wanted this because no APU has PCIe4.0) and my graphics card seems to be some intermediary product: old enough to have an option ROM but not the necessary GOP for UEFI to show video when CSM is not enabled.

As i can not see any image during POST, i also cannot check it but i will try another graphics card, i just need to check if i can find one. I will revert.
X570S_user View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X570S_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2024 at 7:28am
indeed, using another, UEFI-compatible graphics card, i immediately was shown POST and could enter setup.
And yes, for whatever reason Asrock chose to have CSM disabled as a default.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic