ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H170m-itx/ac epic slow/impossible post

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H170m-itx/ac epic slow/impossible post
    Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 4:29pm
Just assembled a new build

H170m-itx/ac
i5-6500
Crucial Ballistix Sport LX 2x4GB 2400
Crucial MX300 500GB
RX 480
Silverstone Silent Storm SFX 450w

Assembled, booted, installed windows, updated windows, rebooted a couple of times, all ok.

Upgraded bios at release 2.00 (it upgraded also the microcode so the pc shut off 2 times before and at the end of the upgrade): disaster. Now it takes 2 minutes to show the Asrock logo at boot, 2 minutes to power up the keyboard, 2 minutes to trying to get into bios (black screen but mouse is responsive, but lagging). Impossible to boot into windows.

I managed to get into instant flash, managed to flash the 1.90 bios but it took 1.30 hours to do so, instead of the usual 5 minutes. Same problem. This yesterday, then I went to bed.

This morning, it booted fine Shocked , rebooted 4 times, all ok. Then shut off, unplugged the power cord, replugged and powered on: same problem Cry

Unplugged the SSD, tried different ram slots and modules (1 instead of 2), temperatures are ok (before the upgrade I looked at them, into bios and into windows), reset cmos, everything. Useless.

What can I do? Confused
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 12:09am
Pull it from the case and "bench' power it up. Reply back with the results please.

Also, check that any cards, cabling, or devices that connect directly or externally are properly seated and or plugged.

Is your memory certified by Crucial to work on the board?
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/advisor?cm_re=top-nav-_-flyout-memory-_-us-memory-advisor
SuperMario View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 12:30am
Yes the memory is certified to work with that mobo, from the link you posted.

I'll try to do what you said
SuperMario View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 7:18pm
I unplugged everything and plugged in again every component and connector. It booted up correctly, then I flashed an older bios and from that moment no more issues.

Though, I noticed that at the end of the last flash of the bios, a window told me that the upgrade went well and to press ok to reboot: that window had not come up in the previous flashes, but the system just rebooted.

I think at this point that the problem could have been caused by bios corruption.

Edited by SuperMario - 15 Nov 2016 at 7:19pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by SuperMario SuperMario wrote:

Just assembled a new build

H170m-itx/ac
i5-6500
Crucial Ballistix Sport LX 2x4GB 2400
Crucial MX300 500GB
RX 480
Silverstone Silent Storm SFX 450w

Assembled, booted, installed windows, updated windows, rebooted a couple of times, all ok.

Upgraded bios at release 2.00 (it upgraded also the microcode so the pc shut off 2 times before and at the end of the upgrade): disaster. Now it takes 2 minutes to show the Asrock logo at boot, 2 minutes to power up the keyboard, 2 minutes to trying to get into bios (black screen but mouse is responsive, but lagging). Impossible to boot into windows.

I managed to get into instant flash, managed to flash the 1.90 bios but it took 1.30 hours to do so, instead of the usual 5 minutes. Same problem. This yesterday, then I went to bed.

This morning, it booted fine Shocked , rebooted 4 times, all ok. Then shut off, unplugged the power cord, replugged and powered on: same problem Cry

Unplugged the SSD, tried different ram slots and modules (1 instead of 2), temperatures are ok (before the upgrade I looked at them, into bios and into windows), reset cmos, everything. Useless.

What can I do? Confused

Originally posted by SuperMario SuperMario wrote:

I unplugged everything and plugged in again every component and connector. It booted up correctly, then I flashed an older bios and from that moment no more issues.

Though, I noticed that at the end of the last flash of the bios, a window told me that the upgrade went well and to press ok to reboot: that window had not come up in the previous flashes, but the system just rebooted.

I think at this point that the problem could have been caused by bios corruption.

Thanks for letting us know what happened with your situation.

Did you use Instant Flash for every UEFI update, including the initial update that caused your issue? It seems that you did, just checking.

You mentioned that the 2.00 UEFI has a CPU microcode update, but according to the UEFI descriptions, it is the 7.00 UEFI that has a microcode update. The 7.00 UEFI adds support for the new Kaby Lake generation Intel processors, so a microcode update is needed for that purpose.

The 2.00 UEFI has the TPM 2.0 setup menu. Do you use a TPM module?

You also mentioned the prompt to press Enter after the final UEFI update in your last post, which is the normal situation when using Instant Flash. You also said you did not get that prompt during the other UEFI updates, which is not normal for Instant Flash.

I wanted to review that, since you are the second user to report that behavior (no prompt) when using Instant Flash. I dismissed that as confusion with the other person, but now I'm starting to wonder... Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic