ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

990FX Extreme3 + GTX 1060 = PCI-E 1.1 ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Overan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 1:19am
Thank you. It will work in auto mode.
I have already written in the technical support :)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 1:21am
Enjoy the GTX 1060, it packs one hell of a punch for it's price and now you are getting the full grunt of it with PCIe 2.0 Thumbs Up

Let us know if Tech Support are able to resolve the issue with manual settings.
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 8:30am
Hmm. For a moment it seemed I had the same issue. I hadn't even noticed there might have been an issue before reading this thread. Motherboard 970M Pro3, GPU EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6GB. Newest BIOS for the motherboard, but I'm not sure if the firmware for the GPU is the newest version any longer, since my system doesn't recognize the subvendor of the card, which prevents me from using EVGA's software to update the firmware...

In any case, I'm not sure if running the render test would have helped with the previous version of GPU-Z I had, but with the newest version the PCI-E 1.1 seemed to just be caused by power saving features. Starting the render test switched the PCI-E version to 2.0. I also noticed that unlike my older version of GPU-Z, the newest version also recognized and displayed the technology, die size, release data and transistor count. It still doesn't recognize the subvendor, though...
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 10:02am
Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

Hmm. For a moment it seemed I had the same issue. I hadn't even noticed there might have been an issue before reading this thread. Motherboard 970M Pro3, GPU EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6GB. Newest BIOS for the motherboard, but I'm not sure if the firmware for the GPU is the newest version any longer, since my system doesn't recognize the subvendor of the card, which prevents me from using EVGA's software to update the firmware...

In any case, I'm not sure if running the render test would have helped with the previous version of GPU-Z I had, but with the newest version the PCI-E 1.1 seemed to just be caused by power saving features. Starting the render test switched the PCI-E version to 2.0. I also noticed that unlike my older version of GPU-Z, the newest version also recognized and displayed the technology, die size, release data and transistor count. It still doesn't recognize the subvendor, though...

Holy sheet Xaltar. Looky who's returned from being a Zombie for quite awhile now. Since Oct 15 huh?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

It's strange GPU-Z does not recognize your GTX 1060 as being an EVGA card. That latest version of GPU-Z is dated 10/18/2016. Since techPowerUp is video card oriented, you'd think their fan base would be screaming for a fix for that, if it was a common problem. That implies that your problem may be unique to you? An old GTX 760 I have has the Subvendor field populated with EVGA.

That's quite a Catch 22, if you can't update the VBIOS/firmware without an update to the firmware to fix the Subvendor data? Are you sure that is the true issue?

The shift to PCIe 1.1 is caused by power saving features in the card, in your case, and in mine. At idle, my 760 shifts to 1.1 (2.5GT/s), and starting the render test caused it to immediately shift to 3.0 (8GT/s) which my board supports. That is not caused by Windows Power Plan option PCI Express Link State Power Management, since changing that in Win 10 to off does nothing to the PCIe link speed to my video card.

In the case of the OP of this thread, he wrote this:

Processor frequency to set 200 MHz and PCIE frequency to set 100 MHz,  then PCIE again shows 1.1

For AMD systems, I don't know what he means by Processor frequency to set 200 MHz, which I assume is really like the Intel BCLK (wardog, no comment on this??), which is multiplied by the core ratio/multiplier to produce the CPU/core speed/frequency.

On most Intel systems, the CPU's BCLK and PCIe clock are shared (not on Skylake and Kaby Lake), which can lead to failures of PCIe devices if it is changed. As Xaltar said, there might be some safety feature on AMD systems that prevents a bad PCIe clock rate from causing the PCIe devices to fail to operate.

Does the OP's statement make any sense to you?

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Holy sheet Xaltar. Looky who's returned from being a Zombie for quite awhile now. Since Oct 15 huh?

LOL Not quite a zombie, just a lurker, hiding in the corners. ;)
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 5:33pm
Lurkers are always welcome, just don't forget to post every now and then Wink
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Processor frequency to set 200 MHz and PCIE frequency to set 100 MHz,  then PCIE again shows 1.1

For AMD systems, I don't know what he means by Processor frequency to set 200 MHz, which I assume is really like the Intel BCLK (wardog, no comment on this??), which is multiplied by the core ratio/multiplier to produce the CPU/core speed/frequency.

On most Intel systems, the CPU's BCLK and PCIe clock are shared (not on Skylake and Kaby Lake), which can lead to failures of PCIe devices if it is changed. As Xaltar said, there might be some safety feature on AMD systems that prevents a bad PCIe clock rate from causing the PCIe devices to fail to operate.

Does the OP's statement make any sense to you?

Sort of. The processor frequency is indeed the base frequency that is multiplied to get the actual CPU frequency. When overclocking the CPU in auto mode (on my 970M Pro3), the CPU frequency is left alone and only the voltage and multiplier are changed. I believe the CPU frequency is also the base speed that is used for the CPU-NB and HT, since the allowed speeds for these start at 200 MHz.

As far as I know, the PCI-E frequency affects the PCI-E lanes directly. The default value is 100 MHz. Increasing it has sometimes been used to squeeze out more performance from the GPU, but from what I've heard, it's not worth the risk. PCI-E speed is not really a bottleneck worth mentioning these days, stable increases can be as low as a few MHz and if one goes overboard, the motheboard can fry. If the overclock is done sensibly (a couple of MHz at a time), the user should see stability issues well before any smoke, though. Since I'm not sure there are any safeguards in place to stop the user from destroying his motherboard with overclocking the PCI-E lanes, going straight from 100 MHz to 200 MHz sounds like a very bad idea.
Zirw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zirw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 2:40am
I have exactly the same problem 970a-g/3.1 + gtx1070. I tried different cards and different processors, and as soon as I try to set the frequency manually get the 1.1 version of the PCIe! And I do not like it, because my motherboard is positioned as the overclocked!
In support of me did not answer, but to clear the CMOS and change cooler CPU :)

Edited by Zirw - 26 Jan 2017 at 3:12am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic