ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - USB3.0 ports on backplate vs internal not same ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

USB3.0 ports on backplate vs internal not same ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVG4K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB3.0 ports on backplate vs internal not same ?
    Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 10:02am
I found a strange issue with USB3.0 while the first use of Agestar 3UB301 3.5 hdd box.
Mobo currently is ASRock Z170 OC-F, Win 8.1. 
The external enclosure is claimed to be USB 3.0 compliant, handles over 3TB disks, and i experienced strange behavior while trying to write/read and found that while being plugged into internal USB3.0 port, its operation is unstable, some interruptions occur thus showing some IO error.
But while being plugged into USB2.0 and USB3.0 at backplate everything is okay.
And this seems to be a common problem elsewhere, because at their forum i found a hint to connect into external USB's.
For more, @ GA-Z170M-D3H-DDR3 mobo i plugged a 4G USB modem into internal USB3.0 and it failed to find network in any band.. Then, i repluggent the cable into another internal connector, and voila.. it works.
And it is said other option to deal with it is to disable power management in all USB controllers section (not sure it matters afaik)

So it seems that one of internal dual-ports of USB3.0 is somehow wired differently or provided by third-party chip ?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 11:03am
Disabling UBS Selective Suspend DOES matter. Why would it not?

All the OCF's USB 3.0 slots are provided by Intel, with the two A and C 3.1 ports being an ASmedia ASM1142 controller.

When you refer to an internal port, you're talking about the cable connected 3.0 ports that are located on your case, right?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by SVG4K SVG4K wrote:

I found a strange issue with USB3.0 while the first use of Agestar 3UB301 3.5 hdd box.
Mobo currently is ASRock Z170 OC-F, Win 8.1. 
The external enclosure is claimed to be USB 3.0 compliant, handles over 3TB disks, and i experienced strange behavior while trying to write/read and found that while being plugged into internal USB3.0 port, its operation is unstable, some interruptions occur thus showing some IO error.
But while being plugged into USB2.0 and USB3.0 at backplate everything is okay.
And this seems to be a common problem elsewhere, because at their forum i found a hint to connect into external USB's.
For more, @ GA-Z170M-D3H-DDR3 mobo i plugged a 4G USB modem into internal USB3.0 and it failed to find network in any band.. Then, i repluggent the cable into another internal connector, and voila.. it works.
And it is said other option to deal with it is to disable power management in all USB controllers section (not sure it matters afaik)

So it seems that one of internal dual-ports of USB3.0 is somehow wired differently or provided by third-party chip ?

To clarify, the USB 3.0 "internal connector" is the rectangular header on the mother board that the front panel USB 3.0 cable from a PC case is connected to. These connections can be two cables into one connector with a blue connection that plugs into the board.

As said above, the internal (mother board USB 3.0 connections) are Intel USB 3.0 ports. But the difference between them and the USB 3.0 ports on the IO panel is the internal/mother board USB 3.0 connections are behind ASMedia ASM1074 USB Hub chips.

The hub provides two USB 3.0 ports, but connected to only one USB 3.0 connection. The hub shares the single USB 3.0 connection with two USB 3.0 ports. The USB 3.0 connection is multiplexed (switched) between the two ports.

When using USB flash drives in these USB 3.0 ports, the intermittent nature of copying files to and from a flash drive work fine. But apparently, the modem and your external USB to SATA HDD box (is that correct?) requires an uninterrupted connection between the board and these devices. That is not surprising. You said yourself you saw interruptions and related IO errors. That is my theory regarding what is happening.

Why the modem worked in one USB 3.0 port and not the other is strange, unless the other USB 3.0 port was not through a hub. If both were through the same hub, then possibly one USB port is considered primary, and the other secondary? Or the hub chip senses activity and the lack of activity, and only remains locked to the device when is senses activity. If activity is lost from its perspective, the hub then polls (checks) the other USB port for activity.

The power saving features (thanks laptops, and Microsoft and Intel's need to inflict the mobile PC environment onto the desktop  PC environment) may also play a role in this, be sure to disable any such power saving options, in their Device Manager entries, and in the Windows Power Plan, Advanced settings.

SVG4K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVG4K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 8:20pm
Thank you for the replies.
I have tested a flash drive Kingston DTmicro 3.1 64G in all U3 ports and it does IO without errors.
The USB Selective Suspend is disabled on all devices that show this option, before tests.
(Looks like a new chip handle this "USB 3.0 hub port multiplication (?)" okay)
Next was a Huawei 4G (USB\VID_12D1&SUBCLASS03&PROT_16) mobile connect.
It failed to connect to network #6 @USB3_5_6 and #8 @USB_7_8 (internal ones of Z170 OC Formula), also failed @ B:USB4, T:USB1 (fig. @ engl. man. page 1), other porst okay and connecting.
And the 3UB301 box worked only at USB3_7 of internal, and worked in all backplate ports.
This a totally new case of usability to me since last many years.
Well it looks not of much incompatibilities, so a solution is to seek compatible ports for these old USB devices.  
May someone find this useful and not blame hardware anyway !
Thanks...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic