ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[SOLVED] Where can I find driver updates?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [SOLVED] Where can I find driver updates?
    Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 8:58am
Larwood has PM'd me that the drivers I provided resolved his Rift issue with the ASM1142.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 12:39am
Replied to your PM Larwood.

Check your email for two emails linking to my Google drive.

Edited by wardog - 11 Dec 2016 at 12:40am
Larwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 12:20am
I'm on Win 10 64 bit.
Thanks guys, I'll pm wardog
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 12:17am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

What OS are you running?

PM me your email and I'll link you to both the Full and Diver Only latest that I'm aware ASMedia ASM1142 drivers, v1.16.41.3

Too these are not OS ver dependent. They cover all Windows OSes.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Larwood Larwood wrote:

I have a Z170 Extreme4 board on the latest bios, and the driver page hasn't been updated this year. I can kind of understand it, they don't want to update that page for every motherboard forever.

The trouble is I also have an Oculus Rift, and the Oculus program is warning me to update my ASMedia USB drivers. But, I have no idea where to find these drivers. ASMedia doesn't seem to offer drivers, anyone know where I can find them?

On a related question, is it safe to go to the companies' websites (Realtek, Intel etc.) and use the generic drivers? There aren't any differences to drivers given by ASRock?

What version of Windows are you using?

The only ASMedia USB ports on your board are for the USB 3.1 ports on the IO panel. Do you use those with your Oculus Rift?

You can download a new ASMedia 3.1 USB 3.1 driver on this boards page:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20X99%20Professional%20Gaming%20i7/#osW1064

Scroll down and click on the Download button on the left, and select your version of Windows. Actually, this driver is the same version for Windows 7 to 10. It does not matter that this is a different mother board than yours. The ASMedia 3.1 chip is the same on your board.

Drivers for any type of hardware, from video cards to mother board chipsets and USB chips are all provided by the manufacture of those devices. Mother board manufactures do not write their own drivers for any type of hardware. So the drivers from manufactures like Intel or ASMedia are hardly generic, they are the real thing. A mother board manufacture may put their logo into the driver installation software, but the actual driver is always sourced from the manufacture of the hardware.

I use drivers directly from Intel and others all the time, and have done that for years.

Mother board manufactures don't just update their driver lists when new drivers are released. The drivers listed on the Download pages have been tested with the board. New drivers will require testing, and "new" does not always mean better. There are all kinds of cases where the newly released drivers are found to have problems shortly after they are released, and quickly removed by the manufacture. Even Intel has had that happen multiple times.

While that seems to be a contradiction to what I just said about using drivers directly from the manufacture, I'm just explaining why drivers on a board's download page are not constantly updated.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Larwood Larwood wrote:

On a related question, is it safe to go to the companies' websites (Realtek, Intel etc.) and use the generic drivers? There aren't any differences to drivers given by ASRock?

What OS are you running?

I always do and haven't experienced any issues. I actually prefer getting the latest from the manufacturers. Some times issues occur when a fresh OS is installed with older drivers.

Larwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 11:07pm
I have a Z170 Extreme4 board on the latest bios, and the driver page hasn't been updated this year. I can kind of understand it, they don't want to update that page for every motherboard forever.

The trouble is I also have an Oculus Rift, and the Oculus program is warning me to update my ASMedia USB drivers. But, I have no idea where to find these drivers. ASMedia doesn't seem to offer drivers, anyone know where I can find them?

Edited by Larwood - 10 Dec 2016 at 11:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic