ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 K4/D3 BIOS Update shenanigans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unterzee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 K4/D3 BIOS Update shenanigans
    Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 8:54am
For some reason, my Z170 K4/D3 won't let me update the BIOS. I've attempted Internet Flash, Instant Flash from two different thumb-drives, and a DOS boot as well-- no updating from Windows, since that doesn't work in 10 anymore.

More specifically, the updating process will proceed without issue until reaching 98% (of the actual installation, CrashFree processes successfully), after which it crashes-- always at the same percentage, regardless of which installation method I try to use.

I've cleared CMOS via the jumper before each attempt. The thumb drives used were freshly formatted before the first attempt. I've also used both 2.40 (the most recent version) and 2.10 to see if a different BIOS version would change anything.

Backup BIOS still works fine, thankfully (it's the reason I'm able to type this post), but it's version 1.0 from last September; occasionally freezes in the UEFI, doesn't have the easy-mode entry, and won't remember my CPU clock settings upon resuming from sleep. I'd prefer not to be stuck with it for too much longer. :l

What;'s really confusing to me is that I was able to update to version 1.40 last year without any issue . . .
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 9:16am
Please refer to pg19 of this boards manual on how to perform a Secure Backup UEFI from your B Backup BIOS to your A Preferred Operational Bios.

Assuming it does not fail to write to your A BIOS, afterwards enter the BIOS and select Reset to Default UEFI Settings, then choose Save and Exit, enter the OS and choose to shut down, while shut down place the formatted FAT32(NOT ntfs) thumb drive in a USB 2.0 port at the rear I/O pane, power up and again entering the BIOS to the Tools Menu and select Instant Flash. It will do a popup and present you with the unpacked Instant Flash BIOS file displayed. Here, simply press Enter and wait for the prompt to reboot when IF has finished. Then immediately after this reboot again enter the BIOS to do a last and final Reset to Default UEFI Settings, then choose Save and Exit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic