ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 990 Fx Extreme 6 motherboard becoming forgetful
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

990 Fx Extreme 6 motherboard becoming forgetful

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechnoG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 990 Fx Extreme 6 motherboard becoming forgetful
    Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 6:52am
I have an Asrock 990FX Extreme 6 motherboard that has been having boot issues. Initially, it would occasionally refuse to boot. After encouragement (reboot...reboot..reboot) it would finally boot Windows and things would operate as usual. Recently, I have been taking that system with the Extreme 6 motherboard  to my shop for  use there. It refuses to boot worse then normal and has recently been losing the bios info i.e. date and time. I replaced the battery and still the issue persist. Other than being board related what other troubleshooting should one look at? All hardware has been tested. Windows has been freshly installed as of a week ago. Drive is formatted gpt and bios is set corect for the drive.

Thermaltake Chaser case
Asrock 990FX Extreme 6 motherboard
AMD FX-8370e running at 4.4
AMD Radeon R9 Gamer series memory R9316G2401U2k 2x8GB
Enermax Liqmax 120S Aluminum All-in-One Liquid Cooler
RAIDMAX Vampire RX-800GH Continuous 800 watts ATX12V / EPS12V
Silicon Power Slim S55 2.5" 240GB SATA III SLC Internal SSD
XFX Radeon R9 380 R9-380P-4255 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI  DD XXX
(2) Asus DVD-RW drives
Windows 10 
Thanks for any assistance !Smile
By TechnoG
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 9:19pm
Meh, this is me talking, not ASRock

I'm not a fan of Raidmax. Plus I consider the PSU to be the foundation of any computer system.

Raidmax fits a lot of folks budgets yet they're woefully overrated output wise when it comes right down to where the rubber hits the road.

That R9-380 req's a min of 550w psu. Which, IMO, is probably nearer to your Raidmax PSU's total combined output than either of us would like to imagine. Sad. I know.

For a test ....... Do you have a low ball GPU you can throw in there to see if it fires and runs properly?

TechnoG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechnoG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 5:00am
I have a Sapphire R9 270 I could swap in. That's as low as I have on hand. As far as the PSU, I do have an XFX TS850 I could swap in (not as clean to wire in Confused). 
By TechnoG
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 11:38am
Meh, dunno if that R9 270 would make any noticeable change/difference. It needs a 450w rec'd PSU.

Thankfully XFX usually market excellent PSUs Wink The XFX TS Series PSUs were all made by Seasonic, the only PSU I use.

It's only temporary to enable this test.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic