ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

J3455-ITX HDMI edid with 4k Display

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hjhamala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: J3455-ITX HDMI edid with 4k Display
    Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 2:42am
I am having quite a mysterious problem with new J344 board and Samsung 4k television.

I cant get picture to the television via hdmi neither in startup, windows or in linux. 

Linux dmesg sayes that edid is corrupt. What is quite interesting is that if I connect the same television via hdmi 1.4 capable amplifier and switch quickly hdmi cable straight to tv both OS suddenly can read EDID from the television and I get 4k60p picture.

If soft rebooting (not powering off whole board) hdmi output works in startup (bios etc).

I amd thingin that this might be some sort of bios problem. Is there any advice what to do?

Intel doesnt support yet forcing EDID. Linux supports but I can get it only work with Fedora 25 not with Ubuntu 16.04. Unfortunately I cant get Steam working with hardware accelerated decoding in Fedora.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 6:31am
I'll ask this as you mention amplifier.

What is the distance between the the computer and TV? Does it work with a short, 3-6' , cable?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by hjhamala hjhamala wrote:

I am having quite a mysterious problem with new J344 board and Samsung 4k television.

I cant get picture to the television via hdmi neither in startup, windows or in linux. 

Linux dmesg sayes that edid is corrupt. What is quite interesting is that if I connect the same television via hdmi 1.4 capable amplifier and switch quickly hdmi cable straight to tv both OS suddenly can read EDID from the television and I get 4k60p picture.

If soft rebooting (not powering off whole board) hdmi output works in startup (bios etc).

I amd thingin that this might be some sort of bios problem. Is there any advice what to do?

Intel doesnt support yet forcing EDID. Linux supports but I can get it only work with Fedora 25 not with Ubuntu 16.04. Unfortunately I cant get Steam working with hardware accelerated decoding in Fedora.

Your problem may not be very mysterious for several reasons, sorry to say.

One quick spec, your board supports Windows 10, Ubuntu 16.10, and Fedora 25 officially.

I don't see anything in the UEFI/BIOS that would make any difference with your situation.

EDID is a standard used to communicate information from a PC monitor to a graphics source. My point is, do you know if your TV, or any TV, has the EDID data structure available for the video source to read? The output of Linux dmesg that the EDID is corrupt could simply be a generic message that is displayed even when it does not receive a EDID data structure from the TV.

I have a new 4K monitor, and had to install a "driver" file supplied by the monitor manufacture before the video signal would change to 4K on that monitor. If the EDID or E-EDID data was being read or used by the video source, why does that file need to be installed?

Televisions and PC monitors, while sharing some resolutions, are not classified in the same way by PC video source drivers. For example, Nvidia video chip software will list PC and TV monitor resolutions in different lists. If they were both identical in all aspects, why categorize them separately?

Usually, when TVs have problems when used as monitors, they fail or their resolution is incorrect while in the UEFI/BIOS screen. In your case, the ASRock HD UEFI is set to 1080p, and that is all you get with a 4K monitor or TV. My 4K monitor's resolution is not at 4K while using the UEFI.

IMO, your situation where you change the HDMI cable to the HDMI 1.4 amplifier output, which I assume is already transmitting a 4K signal, the EDID data structure is not being read at all by the video source. Did you ever change the resolution of a monitor with the video driver's software? Nvidia and Intel both use the same protocol in their software. You select the new resolution, and then click the Apply button. The monitor goes black while the new resolution is applied, and the EDID data of the monitor is read (which exists in a special storage area and is not included as data in the video signal itself) to verify compatibility before the switch is made.

The video driver being used for Linux will be a problem, since Intel does not directly support Linux video drivers. What Intel video driver are you using? These are the latest Intel video drivers for the Intel HD 500 graphics:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/96553/Intel-HD-Graphics-500

I recently discovered that the resolutions available to a monitor via the video driver's software were not the same as those available via the Windows Display feature in Control Panel. The Windows Display feature actually had more and higher resolutions available. Granted, that was not via an HDMI/digital video interface, but is an example of either the complexity of the situation, or bugs in the video driver software, or both.

The full 4K x 2K @ 60 Hz resolution via HDMI is not provided solely by the Intel HD 500 graphics in the board's CPU. It is provided by hardware acceleration via software, as you know. The newest and best Intel HD graphics, and many video cards that are far more powerful than that, cannot provide 4K x 2K @ 60 Hz over HDMI.

That is really the point of all this. This is a complex situation with multiple variables and several unknowns.

hjhamala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hjhamala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 12:04am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I'll ask this as you mention amplifier.

What is the distance between the the computer and TV? Does it work with a short, 3-6' , cable?
I have tested this with 3 different cables which vary from 1 to 2 meters. One cable is brand new. 
hjhamala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hjhamala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 12:14am
I am quite certain that the television provides EDID because I can read the EDID via HDMI if i make the quick switch after connecting computer via amplifier. I can save the EDID both from Windows and Linux.

Aften parsing the EDID it give modes from 4k to 1024*768. Model is Samsung etc so I am quite sure that it really comes from the television. I can also force this EDID in Linux and after that the display works just fine 4K60p but not in Windows where EDID forcing is not possible using Intel driver. Apollo Lake based SoC as J3455 is hdmi 2.0 compliant so it supports 4k60p. 

I am using official Intel open source graphics stack in Linux from this site: https://01.org/linuxgraphics and the newest Windows drivers.

As far as I know the driver files for the monitor contains the same EDID that the monitor gives via input. See for example: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj133967(v=vs.85).aspx section "Updating an EDID" and its 1. point.
Stefan75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefan75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 3:08am
Originally posted by hjhamala hjhamala wrote:

Apollo Lake based SoC as J3455 is hdmi 2.0 compliant so it supports 4k60p. 

Umm, actually the J3455 can only do DP 1.2 and HDMI 1.4 (like all modern Intel CPUs, even the newest i7). ASRock put a additional chip on the board, it converts from DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0.

I've been chating with Intel about my UHD 60Hz 4:4:4 issue.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 3:46am
Originally posted by Stefan75 Stefan75 wrote:

Umm, actually the J3455 can only do DP 1.2 and HDMI 1.4 (like all modern Intel CPUs, even the newest i7). ASRock put a additional chip on the board, it converts from DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0.

I've been chating with Intel about my UHD 60Hz 4:4:4 issue.

Thanks for the link. I read through that.

I don't think the LSPCON converts the processors native HDMI to anything. The J3455 already has native HDMI, so I fail to see a reason to complicate matters in converting a native HDMI signal.

The ASRock J3455-ITX doesn't have a DP port so the J3455 processors native DP is, pardon the wording, tossed to the side. This particular motherboard doesn't have a DP port at the rear I/O panel.

Have you set the TV's to NOT upscale? I believe that may be what you're experiencing there confusion wise. The motherboards rear I/O HDMI Output is direct from the CPU. Since HDMI doesn't support the resolution it has to be the television's internals that are upscaling on the display.

Please, I'm no Engineer, so correct me where you see me going off course in my thinking above.

Edited by wardog - 15 Feb 2017 at 3:47am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 3:56am
Originally posted by paste from the linked Intel Community thread paste from the linked Intel Community thread wrote:

* Devices connected to the Graphics Accelerator *

Active Displays: 1

* Digital Television *

Display Type: Digital

DDC2 Protocol: Supported

Gamma: 2.2

Connector Type: DisplayPort

Device Type: Digital Television

And it appears you may be inadvertently complicating the issue. You must have an HDMI>DisplayPort adapter in use?

edit: add inadvertently

Edited by wardog - 15 Feb 2017 at 3:58am
Stefan75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefan75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 6:00am
I really wish Intel had 1 processor with native HDMI 2.0 output, I haven't seen it. It's quite poor, maybe they're waiting for HDMI 2.1 ;)

As you can see, the J3455 has DP 1.2 (UHD 60Hz) and HDMI 1.4b (UHD 30Hz)

On this page you can see a closeup of the LSPCON chip just next to the HDMI output: https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Intel-Apollo-Lake-Atom-Celeron-schneller-und-mit-4K-60-Hz-3457002.html

And that's why my HD graphics settings is showing DP out... because that's what it's doing... it doesn't know/care about the LSPCON chip converting to HDMI 2.0.

The J3455-ITX mainboard not having a DP connector doesn't mean that the Intel J3455 can't do DP at all.

I'm writing this on a Philips UHD TV (it only has HDMI inputs).
So J3455 > DP 1.2 > LSPCON > HDMI port > Club3D HDMI cable > Philips TV HDMI input

cu
Stefan

Edited by Stefan75 - 15 Feb 2017 at 6:27am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Stefan75 Stefan75 wrote:

As posted by the Intel staff, here the J specs: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/pentium/pentium-celeron-n-series-j-series-datasheet-vol-1.html ;
As you can see, the J3455 has DP 1.2 (UHD 60Hz) and HDMI 1.4b (UHD 30Hz)

Yet HDMI 1.4a spec just doesn't have the throughput of DisplayPort.

Due to the design of DisplayPort(Thunderbolt!) it has far superior throughput. HDMI 2.0 is commonly referred to as HDMI UHD, but not HDMI 4K.

HDMI has reached the end of its being able to expand upwards. Just as DVI was eclipsed by HDMI, DisplayPort is eclipsing HDMI.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic