ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suddenly not booting with all cores enabled

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
wildfireheart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildfireheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suddenly not booting with all cores enabled
    Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 4:34pm
As to my skills, I have masters degree in electrotechnics and my job is to program (and sometimes help design) embedded systems, but I'm mainly programmer and this is my first build in years, so I do not know how exactly some things on motherboard / in CPU work or what the "normal" state of components / values should be.

On the main page it says 3500 MHz. 
CPU Config page:
  • Target CPU / Cache / BCLK speed    3500 MHz / 3900 MHz / 100 MHz
  • Memory speed   2133 MHz
  • FCLK 800 MHz
  • everything else Auto, everything is default nonetheless
  • CPU Microcode revision: 506E3 74
As to the cooler, I think I'm not over tightening it - it doesn't have normal screws, only some plastic holders and I'm trying to fixate it there as gently as I can.

Edited by wildfireheart - 12 Jan 2017 at 5:42pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildfireheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 4:19pm
Here is a gallery of photos of CPU and temperatures of some components of VRM in Celsius (if I'm not measuring the right thing, please let me know):

CPU substrate is not bent (after I read some post, I was afraid it could be, but luckily it's not), nor there are any visible burnt or bent pins, or at least I don't see any yet. When I reinstalled everything, it's still the same, it only boots with max 3 cores enabled in BIOS.

Edited by wildfireheart - 10 Jan 2017 at 4:20pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 3:33am
I would pull the CPU and check for warping and bent or burned pins. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 3:12am
DO NOT TOUCH, yet run the backs of your fingers over the VRM section. Hot by chance? Scalding hot?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 3:10am
Hmmmm

In the main page of the BIOS what does it say the processors Ghz is? Too look in the CPU Config page and note the numbers there too.

Odd.

Has over tightening the TX3 crossed your mind? Sorry, for I have no way of knowing your knowledge and experience here over the net in as many printed words is present.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildfireheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 12:31am
3, because I have 3 enabled in UEFI (I have graphs for CPU - Total, Service CPU Usage, CPU 0, CPU 1 and CPU 2).
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 11:30pm
Hmmmm....

One more please. Run the Command resmon, get over to theCPU tab, how many cores are graphed/shown at the right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildfireheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 11:20pm
If you mean UEFI version, then it's P7.00, I did automatic network update when problem started, didn't help.

Yes, setup was working fine for about a week, no high temperatures, everything normal and stable. After that, two days ago, I started the computer after it was turned off for a night, booted into Win 10, started "Adware Removal Tool by TSA", it run up to 10%, then froze, I did hard reset and it won't boot with all cores since. I checked the system with 3 cores after that - no adware or viruses found.

When it broken down, RAM was in B1 (I was too lazy to reattach fan to the other side of the cooler), currently it's in A2, but I tried all other slots. XMP profile didn't help either. Memtest found no errors, so I assume memory is fine.

Edited by wildfireheart - 09 Jan 2017 at 11:23pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 11:10pm
On the intro page of entering the BIOS, at the top, what BIOS rev is the board flashed to? 3.40?

How ling ago was it the system was built? 1 week?

What slot do you have the lone stick of memory residing in?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildfireheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 7:51pm
I have everything set to "Auto", I never intentionally overclocked anything so far. When I run tests in Windows (with 3 cores), the frequency is 3.5 GHz as expected. When I run same test with 3 or 4 cores in UEFI version of IPDT, I get 4.665 GHz, so I think this could be just wrong reading.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic