ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xeon CPU not recognized by Mobo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainManGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xeon CPU not recognized by Mobo
    Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 10:59am
Hey guys.  I have a bit of an odd question since it involves using a xeon cpu but basically I'm wanting to know if anyone has found a way to get a ASRock X99M Extreme4 LGA2011-v3 mobo to work with an Intel Xeon E5 2650 v4 cpu.  I just recently set up a home server with this combination, and while it does work, the mobo does not recognize the cpu.  Basically the cpu never throttles down like it should and it also doesn't boost to 2.5 GHz like it's supposed to.  You can see in the task manager that it just says Intel 0000.  

I've updated to the latest bios via the internet updater but nothing changed.  
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:24am
""the latest bios via the internet"" ; And that would what revision? Onthe main page of the BIOS it is shown.

Use Instant Flash instead of Windows or DOS.

Have you removed the CMOS battery and jumpered it for 5-10mins?

MountainManGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainManGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:30am
X99M Extreme4 P3.10

I have not yet tried clearing the cmos.  I will try that next.

Part of me thinks it may be due to the fact that this an ES cpu and not a retail one, but, I DID SEE THE TURBO WORKING at one point, then I rebooted and haven't seen it work since.  I'll try the cmos clear and see.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainManGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:52am
Is it possible to flash an older version of the Motherboard bios or will there be issues?

Edit:  I checked the asrock page for my board and I see a version 3.2 which I have not tried.  I'm not sure why the motherboard currently thinks im on the latest version when its at 3.1 and there is a 3.2 out.  I will try that and see.

Edited by MountainManGuy - 12 Jan 2017 at 12:01pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 1:45pm
Yea. ES processors can be troublesome. For the most part they aren't, but .........
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by MountainManGuy MountainManGuy wrote:

Is it possible to flash an older version of the Motherboard bios or will there be issues?

Edit:  I checked the asrock page for my board and I see a version 3.2 which I have not tried.  I'm not sure why the motherboard currently thinks im on the latest version when its at 3.1 and there is a 3.2 out.  I will try that and see.

Yes in general you can flash to an earlier BIOS version, but in your case DON'T DO IT!!

If you have an ES processor, then that would explain at least some, if not all of your problems. But first...

X99 boards can use both Haswell and Broadwell processor generation CPUs. Haswell was first, Broadwell came later. The 3.00 BIOS version is the Broadwell compatibility update. If you flashed to a version earlier than 3.00, your CPU would no longer work at all in your board.

It would not POST, and of course not let you get into the BIOS. You would need a Haswell generation processor to update the BIOS to a Broadwell compatible version again. This situation exists for any X99 board.

Why you think using an older BIOS version will help your situation, I don't understand. Believe me, it won't, and any BIOS version prior to 3.00 will leave you with a fully non-functioning PC. If you check the CPU support list for your board, you'll find that the Intel Xeon E5 2650 v4 processor is supported by BIOS versions starting at 3.00.

Why do you say the mother board thinks it has the latest  BIOS version installed?

I searched on Intel Xeon E5 2650 v4 simply to check the specs, while knowing you said you had an ES version. The search results included eBay hits for that processor for sale at a fraction of the retail price of the Intel Xeon E5 2650 v4, 12 core, 24 thread processor, which is $1,170.

While it looks like it has 24 threads from your picture, an ES processor is not the same as the retail version. The base clock and Turbo speeds will be different, lower, and the features may be not all working. I assume you understand the other realities of owning an ES processor?

You installed Windows, given your screenshot, but did you install INF files, by running the INF driver ver:10.1.2.10 installer on your board's download page? The INF files may help identify your processor. Also the Intel Management Engine driver ver:11.0.4.1186 is essential software you must install.

Try downloading CPU-Z and run it to see if it can identify your processor. CPU-Z usually recognizes ES type processors, but that I cannot guarantee that. The board's BIOS, in the Main screen, shows the CPU information, did you check that? In the BIOS, OC Tweaker screen, will normally display the current CPU and Cache speed, did you check that?

Depending upon how early an ES model you have, which looks like it may not have its basic information registers populated with data, it may never function normally in any X99 board. You may get lucky if you have not run the INF file installer yet, but if you did, that may be the extent of Windows recognizing your ES processor.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainManGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 4:23am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by MountainManGuy MountainManGuy wrote:

Yes in general you can flash to an earlier BIOS version, but in your case DON'T DO IT!!

If you have an ES processor, then that would explain at least some, if not all of your problems. But first...

X99 boards can use both Haswell and Broadwell processor generation CPUs. Haswell was first, Broadwell came later. The 3.00 BIOS version is the Broadwell compatibility update. If you flashed to a version earlier than 3.00, your CPU would no longer work at all in your board.

It would not POST, and of course not let you get into the BIOS. You would need a Haswell generation processor to update the BIOS to a Broadwell compatible version again. This situation exists for any X99 board.

Why you think using an older BIOS version will help your situation, I don't understand. Believe me, it won't, and any BIOS version prior to 3.00 will leave you with a fully non-functioning PC. If you check the CPU support list for your board, you'll find that the Intel Xeon E5 2650 v4 processor is supported by BIOS versions starting at 3.00.

Why do you say the mother board thinks it has the latest  BIOS version installed?

I searched on Intel Xeon E5 2650 v4 simply to check the specs, while knowing you said you had an ES version. The search results included eBay hits for that processor for sale at a fraction of the retail price of the Intel Xeon E5 2650 v4, 12 core, 24 thread processor, which is $1,170.

While it looks like it has 24 threads from your picture, an ES processor is not the same as the retail version. The base clock and Turbo speeds will be different, lower, and the features may be not all working. I assume you understand the other realities of owning an ES processor?

You installed Windows, given your screenshot, but did you install INF files, by running the INF driver ver:10.1.2.10 installer on your board's download page? The INF files may help identify your processor. Also the Intel Management Engine driver ver:11.0.4.1186 is essential software you must install.

Try downloading CPU-Z and run it to see if it can identify your processor. CPU-Z usually recognizes ES type processors, but that I cannot guarantee that. The board's BIOS, in the Main screen, shows the CPU information, did you check that? In the BIOS, OC Tweaker screen, will normally display the current CPU and Cache speed, did you check that?

Depending upon how early an ES model you have, which looks like it may not have its basic information registers populated with data, it may never function normally in any X99 board. You may get lucky if you have not run the INF file installer yet, but if you did, that may be the extent of Windows recognizing your ES processor.

Hey thanks for the in depth respose, I appreciate that.

As for the motherboard thinking it was on the latest version, there is a utility in the motherboard bios that allows you to connect to the internet and download the latest bios and install it.  It's all automatic. When I used that utility, it said I was at the latest version which I wasn't.

I went ahead and tried that inf file installation and it didn't seem to fix it but I appreciate the suggestion because I had not tried that previously.

I checked cpu-z and it says the same thing windows does, intel 0000.  

The motherboard bios also says "Genuine Intel CPU 000 @ 2.00GHZ"

Under the OC Tweaker section of the bios, it shows the target cpu speed as 2000 MHz and the Cache speed at 2500 MHz.

I fully understand the limitations of buying an ES cpu.  That's the whole point though.  I got a 1200 dollar cpu for under 200 bucks and I think that's a stellar deal.

Everything is working just fine on the cpu that I know of, except for the turbo and intel stepping technology.  All my vm's run fine and are very fast.  The temps of the cpu are REALLY low (usually runs at 20c within windows, 30c at the bios screen) with my Noctua dh-15s on it so overall I'm pretty happy.  I know I can pick up a used retail version of this cpu for $350, but I'm not sure if that is worth it considering I got this one for sub 200. 

I appreciate everyone's replies and will update this thread if I figure anything else out.  
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 7:00am
Color me curious but what does it detect as in the UEFI, i7 or Xeon?

Are the overclocking features available such as multiplier etc?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic