ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions about Parallel port

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swoewiuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions about Parallel port
    Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 11:49pm
Hello everyone!

I bought an ASRock motherboard a year ago, and I now have a little project requiring the use of a parallel port. (My motherboard is a B150M Pro4S.) I do have questions about this technology since it is considered "legacy" Tongue

I?�m reading a little bit about the port and its improvement through the years, but I couldn't find the answers I'm looking for.

I want to know the difference between the two following settings in the ASRock UEFI:
  • "ECP and EPP-1.9 Mode"
  • "ECP and EPP-1.7 Mode"

There are two other settings in the drop-down menu ("Normal" and "Bi-Directional" but I think those refer to older technologies (earlier days of the parallel port).

I'll keep looking for answers and I'll post it here if possible. In the meantime, please help me! :P

Edited by Swoewiuf - 22 Jan 2017 at 11:51pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 12:04am
From what I remember, 1.9 was more advanced and handled handshaking more efficiently but was not compatible with some older devices. 1.7 retained backward compatibility with a wider range of devices but did not perform as well. 

This little write-up is rather technical but if you have any understanding of the concepts it should prove enlightening. 

http://retired.beyondlogic.org/epp/epp.htm    (copy paste link)

I'ts been a very long time since I played with parallel ports Big smile I remember setting up all kinds of weird things with parallel and COM ports back in the day, including a working link between 2 PCs. Ahh 512kb/s data rates, how far we have come. Also worth noting, 512kb/s was the maximum theoretical bandwidth, typically the best I could achieve for file transfers was about 300kb/s with high quality cables. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I'ts been a very long time since I played with parallel ports Big smile

Me too. And Amen for that fact.

And having said that I'll point you to where I used to look for/at BIOS settings when I first got started years ago. And years ago!

TechARP's BIOS Optimization Guide on EPP 1.7 and EPP 1.9:
http://archive.techarp.com/showFreeBOG253e.html?lang=0&bogno=84

Edited by wardog - 23 Jan 2017 at 8:37am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 8:42am
Too Normal and Bi-Directional are as they appear.

Bi-Directional is two way communications.

If you're doing a LPT project, these two items should have been covered in the the 1st chapter!?!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic