ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock C70M1 slow win7 and no wake on lan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biagio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock C70M1 slow win7 and no wake on lan
    Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 5:05pm
For a download machine i buy Asrock C70M1 whith 2 hd seagate 2Tb 1 hd seqagate 1 Tb sata3 and 4 gb ram, in a cube case atx alimeanted. This motherboard run win7 very slow. user experience with mirc and torrent is still acceptable. the operating system is normal to be so slow? 
Another question: with this motherboard how i activate the wake on lan? Is active via bios and in windows properties i have actived all parameters, but i don't wake up this suspended motherboard whith wake ol lan of team viever
Please help me
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 8:30pm
In the BIOS the WoL feature is under the ACPI Configuration tab. The other parts you say you found.

Win7 slow, I assume you mean the GUI part of Win7 is herky jerky. Yea, I would imagine so what with the C70M1 only having a 5yr old ~7w AMD C-70 processor. That power-sipping 7w avg consumption comes at the cost of performance.

Kill off as many Windows internal services as you can.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 12:27am
Originally posted by biagio biagio wrote:

For a download machine i buy Asrock C70M1 whith 2 hd seagate 2Tb 1 hd seqagate 1 Tb sata3 and 4 gb ram, in a cube case atx alimeanted. This motherboard run win7 very slow. user experience with mirc and torrent is still acceptable. the operating system is normal to be so slow? 
Another question: with this motherboard how i activate the wake on lan? Is active via bios and in windows properties i have actived all parameters, but i don't wake up this suspended motherboard whith wake ol lan of team viever
Please help me

Do you have the SATA Mode set to AHCI in the BIOS? That is the default setting, and will provide better IO performance than IDE mode.

In the Storage Configuration screen in the BIOS, find the SATA Aggressive Link PM Capability option, and set it to Disabled if it is Enabled.

Do you have the Realtek LAN driver installed? You can find a newer version of that driver on this board's page, version 7098 instead of 7048. Both boards use the same Realtek LAN chip, the RTL8111E:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=Win764
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 1:48am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by biagio biagio wrote:

Please help me

Do you have the SATA Mode set to AHCI in the BIOS? That is the default setting, and will provide better IO performance than IDE mode.

In the Storage Configuration screen in the BIOS, find the SATA Aggressive Link PM Capability option, and set it to Disabled if it is Enabled.

Do you have the Realtek LAN driver installed? You can find a newer version of that driver on this board's page, version 7098 instead of 7048. Both boards use the same Realtek LAN chip, the RTL8111E:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=Win764

The network shouldn't run slow. Well, unless you bog down the CPU with multiple tasks, then sure. Yet if it's left alone to just D/L'ing then no. Networking isn't CPU dependent.

Latest Relatek PCIe based 10/100/1000 PHY drivers:
http://www.realtek.com/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

The network shouldn't run slow. Well, unless you bog down the CPU with multiple tasks, then sure. Yet if it's left alone to just D/L'ing then no. Networking isn't CPU dependent.

http://www.realtek.com/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

The new Realtek driver version suggestion is meant to potentially help with the WOL problem.

Intel networking chips have options to offload certain tasks from the CPU to the network chip itself. I don't have a PC with this Realtek chip, but if it has similar options, that might help with the low CPU perfromance.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

The new Realtek driver version suggestion is meant to potentially help with the WOL problem.

Intel networking chips have options to offload certain tasks from the CPU to the network chip itself. I don't have a PC with this Realtek chip, but if it has similar options, that might help with the low CPU perfromance.

I know you know these things. I only included what I did for the sake of maybe expanding the OPs knowledge.

More than likely he's torrenting. I'm not sure if offloading might help. IMO, he suffers more from a lack of CPU OOmph than anything else. A 7w dual-core, 7w, just doesn't offer much while clicking in and traversing any current Windows GUI.

A linux distro would certainly lighten the processor load and I would highly suggest it if the OP is comfortable in linux. Torrent clients are available in linux also.

Basically the same thing I'm doing here with my Thecus W4000 and it's meager D2701 Atom dual-core. The included Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 is a wee bit heavy for the Atom to bear.

To the OP if you're still around, check out XPEnology. I've tinkered here with just about every OS known to mankind on this pathetic 5yr old Atom and I believe XPEnology may be my OS of choice. And yes, it has a torrent client.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic