ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

using 5V SB for my project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kappi1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: using 5V SB for my project
    Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 2:04am
Dear Comunity
I need to supply my mikrocontrollersystem with current while my pc isn't running. So i saw that there is a 5v SB pin on the Mainboard(asrock x79 extreme 3) at the header for the IR sensor. Now i wanted to ask if it is possible to pull current from there withouth any authentification or something like that. My board could have peaks of 1 Amp but normaly uses around 200mA. Is this a problem?(my power supply could deliver enough current on 5Vsb). The part of the Manual:

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 2:19am
Why there? Just take it from the PSU and not worry of draw.
kappi1997 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kappi1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 5:01am
the thing is i don't want to modify my psu cause it would waste my warranty.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 7:37am
Originally posted by kappi1997 kappi1997 wrote:

the thing is i don't want to modify my psu cause it would waste my warranty.

I don't think you'd need to open it. +5v is +5v

If you "expect' the +5vSB to be hot, the computer must be in a Sleep State anyway.

It would seem to me seeings the PSU is supplying +5v to the SB "rail' you could simply grab a +5v you need from the red wire off a 4-pin molex from the PSU.

Meh, that might not workout above to grab a +5v supply ............. sec

Tada. Use a DVM to verify but use the purple wire in position 9 of the main 24-pin motherboard power. That's the +5vSB wire coming directly from the PSU.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#atxmain24

That work? Or didn't you plan on having to have the computer in a sleep state?

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 8:06am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Tada. Use a DVM to verify but use the purple wire in position 9 of the main 24-pin motherboard power. That's the +5vSB wire coming directly from the PSU.

We learn something every day.

That line above. Mea Culpa. That's the VSB line, which is always hot. Sleep or powered off.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 9:31am
An alternative to the IR header might be a USB port. The USB ports have been powered up after the PC is shutdown on ASRock boards for a while now. Your board has the XFast Charger port on the IO panel, and in one of the USB 2.0 headers on the board, which could be adapted for your purpose.

See page 33 of the User Manual, which you must download from your board's information page:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%20Extreme3/?cat=Manual

Your board also has a USB 3.0 header on the board. USB 3.0 provides more current that USB 2.0 does.

I am skeptical that the +5VSB pin on the IR header can supply up to 1 Amp of current, and as said above, you would need to be in Sleep or Hibernate mode for the +5VSB supply in your PSU to be active. Of course even when shutdown, a board still receives power from the PSU.

But consider this: If the PC can be turned on and off from the IR remote control, is it just in Sleep, or really shutdown?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 10:30am
Aw hell. I didn't even think of using a USB's +5v.

Even sick you still have it. Thumbs Up
kappi1997 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kappi1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 6:58pm
First Thank you for all your helpfull answers. So i know from tests that the 5v sb is always on but you are right probably it isn't meant to pull current from this part of the board. So did i understand this right you would recommend me using the usbpwr pin from a usb2.0 port?(usb3.0 is in use)Doesn't usb power need a verification so it delivers more than 500mA?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic