ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards (German)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

asrock z97 extreme 6 nvme boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freeguy0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: asrock z97 extreme 6 nvme boot
    Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 11:27pm
hi!
ich habe eben meine neue samsung evo 960 m2 ssd installiert und die alte drauf migriert.

nun finde ich aber nirgends eine moeglichkeit im bios auszuwaehlen, von der pci-e disk zu booten.
das 'neueste' bios, das ich finde ist von 2014... http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%20Extreme6/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

gibts da ein neueres update, oder eine moeglichkeit die ssd als bootmedium zu verwenden...?

danke...
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 12:39am
Originally posted by freeguy0 freeguy0 wrote:

hi!
ich habe eben meine neue samsung evo 960 m2 ssd installiert und die alte drauf migriert.

nun finde ich aber nirgends eine moeglichkeit im bios auszuwaehlen, von der pci-e disk zu booten.
das 'neueste' bios, das ich finde ist von 2014... http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%20Extreme6/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

gibts da ein neueres update, oder eine moeglichkeit die ssd als bootmedium zu verwenden...?

danke...

Google translate:

I have just installed my new samsung evo 960 m2 ssd and the old drauf migriert.

Now I find however nowhere a possibility in the bios select from the pci-e disk to boot.
The 'newest' bios I find is from 2014 ... http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%20Extreme6/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

Is there a new update, or a possibility to use the ssd as bootmedium ...?

Google translate:

Ihr Board verfügt nicht über ein BIOS-Update, das NVMe-Unterstützung hinzugefügt.

Die meisten NVMe SSD erfordern das BIOS, dass NVMe Unterstützung als das Boot / Betriebssystem Laufwerk verwendet werden. Einige Samsung NVMe SSDs haben die NVMe Unterstützung in die SSD eingebaut, die 950 Pro hat diese Unterstützung. Ich denke, die 960 EVO hat auch diese Unterstützung enthalten.

Wir müssen wissen, welche Version von Windows Sie verwenden werden. Windows 7 verfügt nicht über einen NVMe-Treiber, der in den Installationsdateien enthalten ist, wenn Sie eine alte Windows 7-Datenträger verwenden. Windows 8.1 und 10 verfügen über einen NVMe-Treiber.

Sie müssen eine Windows-ISO-Installationsdatei auf einem USB-Stick verwenden. Sie müssen auch das Windows-Installationsmedium mit dem Eintrag in der Startreihenfolge starten, der "UEFI: <Name des Installationslaufwerks" ist.

Wenn Sie das 960 EVO in der benutzerdefinierten Windows-Installationsoption sehen können, muss es nicht in der Startreihenfolge aufgelistet werden, bevor Sie Windows installieren.

Sie finden keine NVMe SSD in der Boot-Reihenfolge aufgelistet, es sei denn, das BIOS hat NVMe-Unterstützung. Das BIOS Ihres BIOS verfügt nicht über die Systembrowser-Funktion, die das 960 EVO zeigt, das nur in neueren ASRock-Karten enthalten ist.

Your board does not have a BIOS update that adds NVMe support.

Most NVMe SSD require the BIOS to have NVMe support to be used as the boot/OS drive. Some Samsung NVMe SSDs have that NVMe support built into the SSD, the 950 Pro has that support. I think the 960 EVO also has that support included.

We need to know what version of Windows you will be using. Windows 7 does not have an NVMe driver included in the installation files, if you are using an old Windows 7 disk. Windows 8.1 and 10 have an NVMe driver.

You need to use a Windows ISO installation file on a USB flash drive. You also MUST boot the Windows installation media with the entry in the boot order that is "UEFI: <installation drive name>".

If you can see the 960 EVO in the Custom Windows installation option, then it does not need to be listed in the boot order before you install Windows.

You won't find an NVMe SSD listed in the boot order unless the BIOS has NVMe support. Your board's BIOS does not have the System Browser feature, which would show the 960 EVO, that is only included with newer ASRock boards.

freeguy0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freeguy0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 12:50am
english is fine aswell.
i use win10 x64.

ah, so maybe the samsung migration tool was not capable of make the nvme ssd bootable?
do i have to reinstall windows fresh on nvme?

thanks
J Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 5:01pm
Hallo,

die 960 Evo sollte für Win10 bootfähig sein, wenn das Migrationstool von Samsung verwendet wurde.

Ab der BIOS Version P2.10 gibt es den NVMe Support. Die aktuelle BIOS Version ist P2.70
Kind Regards,
JZ

https://shop.JZelectronic.de - Der Shop mit ausgesuchter ASRock Profi Hardware

https://www.facebook.com/asrock.de
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 8:59pm
Just which motherboard do you have?

The created Topic:
asrock z97 extreme 6 nvme boot

Which does have nVME Support as of BIOS 2.70

or

The X79 Extreme6 that you link to in your posts, which does NOT have nVME Support

????

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by J Z J Z wrote:

Ab der BIOS Version P2.10 gibt es den NVMe Support. Die aktuelle BIOS Version ist P2.70

JZ, odd. For the Z97 Extreme6 I don't know just what BIOS revision began nVME Support.

nVME Support is reported in BIOS 1.60 as well. Making three distinct BIOSes that "3. Add nVME Support"

Now, IMO, 1.60 and 2.10 are way to early of date for ASRock to have added nVME support. 1.60 was released Dec 17 2014 and 2.10 was released Apr 30 2015. Both dates are way way to early to have included nVME support.

I can believe 2.70 dated July 20 2016 does include nVME support.

But first we have to wait for the OP to decide and make clear to us just what board they have Confused

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 2:17am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

JZ, odd. For the Z97 Extreme6 I don't know just what BIOS revision began nVME Support.

nVME Support is reported in BIOS 1.60 as well. Making three distinct BIOSes that "3. Add nVME Support"

Now, IMO, 1.60 and 2.10 are way to early of date for ASRock to have added nVME support. 1.60 was released Dec 17 2014 and 2.10 was released Apr 30 2015. Both dates are way way to early to have included nVME support.

I can believe 2.70 dated July 20 2016 does include nVME support.

But first we have to wait for the OP to decide and make clear to us just what board they have Confused

I've sent an email to the big whigs at ASRock to correct this situation.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 10:35am
The Z97 Extreme6 board was the first PC mother board in the world to have the "Ultra" M.2 port, meaning a PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 port.

I cannot vouch for the 1.60 and 2.10 UEFI/BIOS dates that add NVMe support, but I know I used my first Samsung 950 Pro in this board (which I own) before the 7/20/2016 date of version 2.70.

Actually, the 950 Pro stands apart from other NVMe SSDs, since it contains its own built in Option ROM that provides "NVMe Support" on its own. This SSD does not require NVMe support from the mother board itself, as all other NVMe SSDs do. It seems the Samsung 960 NVMe SSD models also have this feature. This means it will work on any mother board that at least uses UEFI firmware.

This can be verified in this document from Samsung, section 5 page 19:

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/downloads/document/Samsung_SSD_950_PRO_White_paper.pdf

Regardless, the Window installation media must be selected in the boot order with the prefix "UEFI:", and if using Windows 7, an NVMe driver must be incorporated into the Windows 7 installation media, or installed during a Windows 7 installation.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I cannot vouch for the 1.60 and 2.10 UEFI/BIOS dates that add NVMe support, but I know I used my first Samsung 950 Pro in this board (which I own) before the 7/20/2016 date of version 2.70.

Ok. I heard back from my contacts at ASRock concerning this.

All three BIOS revisions listed that "Add NVMe Support" do.

The differences reflect the changes/innovations/additions in nVME support as it matured. So it's best to use the most current BIOS supporting nVME if only for maybe avoiding a compatibility issue down the road.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic