ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H110M-STX Bios upgrade without CPU

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doobree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H110M-STX Bios upgrade without CPU
    Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 9:41pm
Hi

Im looking to buy an Asrock DeskMini 110 and install a Kaby Lake processor
However the Bios will need updating before the Kaby Lake processor will work
I don't have an older 1151 cpu
Is it possible to update the BIOS on the motherboard without a CPu installed, or with the Kaby Lake processor installed already?

Does this motherboard have a BIOS update the works directly from Boot from eg a USB stick?

Thanks
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 9:48pm
I am afraid not, you will need to ensure the BIOS supports Kaby Lake from the store or update it yourself using a supported Skylake CPU. 

This is why I still prefer brick and mortar stores, I can ask before I buy.
doobree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doobree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 10:38pm
Thanks for replying

That's a pain.

Seems a bit short sighted to not have BIOS updates available from motherboard bootup somehow
There's not many outlets to buy motherboards over the counter - the internet is a much more likely source.

I guess I'll wait for an updated version with a 200 series motherboard
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 10:56pm
Yet if bought from a local computer shop they can install a Skylake long enough to upflash a Kaby compatible BIOS .

Buying at brick and mortars does have it's advantages. Cost is a smidge more, sure, but the services available beat an online retailers support offerings hands down Wink

Get to know your local shops and their technicians. Support them, before they're all ran out of business by e-tailers.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 10:56pm
There are very few boards that have allowed that, most (all?) of them enthusiast. The reason is that the BIOS is basically a program and without a CPU there is nothing to run it/update it. The few boards that implemented the ability to do so without a CPU use a tiny little CPU on the board itself which adds cost to the board design, both via the cost of the additional CPU (who's only real purpose is to update the BIOS) but also in integrating it in such a way that it does not interfere with the system when not in use. It is an issue that has infuriated both users and manufacturers for a long time now.
doobree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doobree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:14pm
Thanks for all your responses

I would indeed happily pay a bit more to get one  from a local dealer that could lend me a CPU to flash the BIOS, or flash it for me but I live in the southeast and cant find a single stockist.
The cheapest skylake Celeron is about £32 so in reality my only option would probably be to buy the skylake and do it myself and hope I can sell the Celeron or just bin it!
Seems crazy.
Anyone know a stockist in/near London? I cant find one
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:36pm
While it seems crazy, there is no way around putting a new gen Intel on previous gen motherboards. BIOS support must be there first and foremost for the system to boot. That's where it all begins, at the BIOS level.

And sorry. I'm no help in London directions, seeings I live in the US.
doobree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote doobree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 12:00am
For any one else in UK interested...
I just messaged an etailer and they said the could check the bios for me before dispatch and update it if required for no charge (lamdatek)

What great service!

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 12:32am
Awesome, thanks for sharing the info Thumbs Up

Let us know what you think of the Deskmini once you are set up and please feel free to ask if you have any questions/issues Wink
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 1:42am
Originally posted by doobree doobree wrote:

For any one else in UK interested...
I just messaged an etailer and they said the could check the bios for me before dispatch and update it if required for no charge (lamdatek)

What great service!

Thumbs Up

Good find!

lambda-tek.com looks more like shop that concentrates more on building than an e-tailer who simply sells parts online and ships them.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic