ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Clearing bios using jumpers is the only way my PC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clearing bios using jumpers is the only way my PC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliotvm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clearing bios using jumpers is the only way my PC
    Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 3:29am
Asrock Z270 ITX/AC 
Intel i5 Big Shuriken 2 rev b

Fan starts spinning as soon as psu is turned on without pressing power button or touching pins.

I have tried 2 different PSU's same problem

Cannot manually start or shutdown pc either, have to do so via the back of psu.

If I clear bios with jumpers before turning on PSU, I manage to reach bios where it recognises my ram sticks, cpu and fan.

Can anyone help me understand/fix thanks

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 3:49am
Please list your full specs as well as making note of any old/reused parts.
elliotvm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliotvm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 4:04am
CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  
CPU Cooler: Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B 45.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  
Motherboard: ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card 
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply 

Also tried a g3 550W psu - same problem

All new parts

Edited by elliotvm - 21 Feb 2017 at 4:04am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 4:30am
By what you describe it sounds like a short somewhere, either between the power switch and the board or under the board somewhere. 

Did you breadboard the system before assembling it in the case or just install it all? It may be worth pulling the board and trying to run it outside the case.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 9:11am
Assuming you have the Z270M-ITX/ac board, a Z270 ITX/AC board model does not exist.

Adding to what Xaltar said, is the PC case new and what model?

Did you check the connections to the System Panel header from the PC case? That would be the wires for the Power Switch, Power and HDD LEDs, and Reset switch? Is the polarity ( + and - ) correct?

Did you check the power switch on the PC case, that it is working properly and not stuck in the "On" position?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by elliotvm elliotvm wrote:

Cannot manually start or shutdown pc either, have to do so via the back of psu.

After reading that I'm assuming this is a new build.

Please check the wiring coming from your case and attached/connected at the MB's System Panel Header.

Sorry boys. I got distracted and didn't come back to finish my post. I didn't mean to duplicate a prior post, ie system panel header

Edited by wardog - 21 Feb 2017 at 2:24pm
elliotvm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliotvm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 6:33pm
Hello, yes it is the Z270M and a new build.

I am currently breadboarded, as soon as I turn the PSU on via the switch at the back, my fan automatically starts running without me powering on the PC. 

I think my motherboard might be faulty as the PC wont shutdown via the pins
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic