ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

C236 WSI Server/Workstation Help...No Video

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARAMP1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C236 WSI Server/Workstation Help...No Video
    Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 11:53am
New guy here...

I did a search and couldn't find anything.  I'm building a server with a C236 WSI motherboard.  I'm using an Intel E3-1240V5 CPU and one stick of Kingston KVR21E15D8/16 16Gb memory (though I eventually plan on doing two sticks for 32Gb total).  

I assembled the board today and powered it on.  Everything seemed normal however there was no video.  (the monitor and cable are confirmed to work).  I think it may be a memory issue, but I've read on the interwebs of people using this memory with success (though I don't know if they were using two sticks).  Any ideas?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 1:18pm
Well, Kingston shows this stick as compatible.
https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?partId=KVR21E15D8%2F16
and
https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?devicetype=7&mfr=ASR&line=Motherboard&model=93677

If you're able to get into the BIOS check that they're set to its timing specs and at 1.2v.

If not, with it unplugged, please remove the CMOS battery from its holder and carefully, using a conductive item, jump the CLRMOS1 pads. Then replace the battery, apply power, and reply back the results of your doing this.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 1:24pm
hehe, I better ask as it's all too often overlooked.

You didn't forget to plug in the 4-pin ATX12V1 CPU power connection located in the middle of the lower right quadrant did you Wink
ARAMP1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARAMP1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

hehe, I better ask as it's all too often overlooked.

You didn't forget to plug in the 4-pin ATX12V1 CPU power connection located in the middle of the lower right quadrant did you Wink
LOL.  Man, you're good.  I actually did forget it initially and even thought that might be the issue, but unfortunately, plugging it in did nothing.

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Well, Kingston shows this stick as compatible.
https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?partId=KVR21E15D8%2F16
and
https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?devicetype=7&mfr=ASR&line=Motherboard&model=93677

If you're able to get into the BIOS check that they're set to its timing specs and at 1.2v.

If not, with it unplugged, please remove the CMOS battery from its holder and carefully, using a conductive item, jump the CLRMOS1 pads. Then replace the battery, apply power, and reply back the results of your doing this.

Well, I tried clearing the CMOS and no luck.  Any other ideas?  
ARAMP1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARAMP1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 3:09pm
I don't have a boot drive installed yet.  Do you think that would matter?  I was planning on running FreeNAS off of a USB.  

Here's the setup...

It sounds like it's running.  Just no visuals.
ARAMP1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARAMP1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 3:20pm
Just figured out the E3-1240 doesn't have on board video.  It's disabled on that chip.  I need a E3-1245  (model that ends in 5) or a video card.  

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by ARAMP1 ARAMP1 wrote:

Just figured out the E3-1240 doesn't have on board video.  It's disabled on that chip.  I need a E3-1245  (model that ends in 5) or a video card.

Rather expensive oops. Ouch That sux big time.

This happens here a lot too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic