ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow games with DDR @ 2400mhz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixsetup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow games with DDR @ 2400mhz
    Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 6:43am
Hi there I have a 990fx extreme9 and FX 9590 cpu.
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.

Okay board says it can do 2450mhz ddr speed and I set it to 2400 MHz.
When I did games like CSGO are real slow and jerk.  mouse is so slow to even turn.

I put the memory back to 2133 MHz and there is no problem at all.

Thing is it says the board can do the 2450 MHz so it shouldn't have a problem doing 2400 MHz.

Any ideas?

Thanks
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 9:22am
Originally posted by mixsetup mixsetup wrote:

Hi there I have a 990fx extreme9 and FX 9590 cpu.
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.

Okay board says it can do 2450mhz ddr speed and I set it to 2400 MHz.
When I did games like CSGO are real slow and jerk.  mouse is so slow to even turn.

I put the memory back to 2133 MHz and there is no problem at all.

Thing is it says the board can do the 2450 MHz so it shouldn't have a problem doing 2400 MHz.

Any ideas?

Thanks

First, any memory speed above 1600 is a memory over clock, and not guaranteed to work. Please check the memory specifications for your board on this page:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX%20Extreme9/?cat=Specifications

Your board's memory support list contains additional information about memory speeds:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX%20Extreme9/?cat=Memory

The memory speed you can over clock to depends upon the memory model you have, what the timings are set to, and the memory voltage value. We don't even know what model of memory you are using.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 10:17am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

We don't even know what model of memory you are using.

Here here!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 10:31am

First, any memory speed above 1600 is a memory over clock, and not guaranteed to work. Please check the memory specifications for your board on this page:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX%20Extreme9/?cat=Specifications

That 1600 and Note concerning, are actually a holdover cut and paste job, and not correct for the FX-9590.

The FX-9590, as you know parsec from having one, it is rated at 1866 Dual Channel.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series%20FX-9590.html

mixsetup, nice setup. See my sig.

Post the parts of your computer by Make and Model Number, including the PSU and how old it is.

2400 isn't out of range, assuming all the parts are there to support it.

As to low, look in the manual that you have the stick(s?) in the properf slots that enables Dual Channel and not Single Channel.

But post the makes/models and we should be able to get you up at 2400/2450

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

That 1600 and Note concerning, are actually a holdover cut and paste job, and not correct for the FX-9590.

The FX-9590, as you know parsec from having one, it is rated at 1866 Dual Channel.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series%20FX-9590.html

mixsetup, nice setup. See my sig.

Post the parts of your computer by Make and Model Number, including the PSU and how old it is.

2400 isn't out of range, assuming all the parts are there to support it.

As to low, look in the manual that you have the stick(s?) in the properf slots that enables Dual Channel and not Single Channel.

But post the makes/models and we should be able to get you up at 2400/2450

That's true about the FX-9590 of course, but the OP is asking why does he experience slow gaming performance when the memory is set to 2400, when it is fine at 2133.

The question is, is that caused by memory instability at 2400, or something else?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 11:48pm

The question is, is that caused by memory instability at 2400, or something else?

I'm thinking he has his two sticks residing in the A _or_ B slots, meaning Single Channel config.

I seem to remember experiencing the same symptoms once till I discovered the clients kid rearranged the memory.

Too, the diff of loading a single channel to 2133 and fine, 2400 not so, the speed diff could be just enough to be causing an IMC issue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic