ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z270 Mobo loss of DisplayPort + VGA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddyflintsoned2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z270 Mobo loss of DisplayPort + VGA
    Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 9:12am
I was about to purchase a Z170 when the Z270 came out, and all my local suppliers stopped stocking what I wanted to buy and added all new Z270's.
I was shocked to find the Display Port had disappeared on nearly all the models, and the Model I was really interested in Pro 4. This Display Port was one of the main reasons for the Selection as I needed 4K output, but now we have UHD and *coff* ANALOGUE.

When will the updated boards be available with 4K Display Port?

Whom is the idiot who made this 20year backward step in technology?
Have they been sacked yet?

Very disappointed with this. Your boards were way better than Gigabyte and Asus, but now I don't know if purchasing AsRock is really worth it.

Thanks for letting me post this. I wonder if anyone else has noticed?

Fled
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 11:13am
Originally posted by freddyflintsoned2011 freddyflintsoned2011 wrote:

I was about to purchase a Z170 when the Z270 came out, and all my local suppliers stopped stocking what I wanted to buy and added all new Z270's.
I was shocked to find the Display Port had disappeared on nearly all the models, and the Model I was really interested in Pro 4. This Display Port was one of the main reasons for the Selection as I needed 4K output, but now we have UHD and *coff* ANALOGUE.

When will the updated boards be available with 4K Display Port?

Whom is the idiot who made this 20year backward step in technology?
Have they been sacked yet?

Very disappointed with this. Your boards were way better than Gigabyte and Asus, but now I don't know if purchasing AsRock is really worth it.

Thanks for letting me post this. I wonder if anyone else has noticed?

Fled

Out of the 13 ASRock Z270 boards, four have DisplayPort outputs for the Intel iGPU:

Z270 SuperCarrier
Z270 Taichi
Fatal1ty Z270 Professional Gaming i7
Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac

That's a little less than one third of the available models.

The Z170 boards are 12 out of 24 that have DisplayPort outputs for the Intel iGPU.

That's exactly one half of the available models.

So we have about one third of the Z270 models vs one half of the Z170 models with DisplayPort outputs for the iGPU. Not as bad as you portrayed it to be, but a difference overall.

Considering one aspect or feature of a mother board that is missing compared to the others as a major failure, without taking anything else into consideration is ignoring reality. There is basically one major single factor being overlooked:

Price.

The Z270 Pro4 can be easily found in the USA for $120. As Intel chipset boards go, that is a budget level/priced board. This board has some amazing features for the price, two Ultra M.2 ports, eight phase CPU VRM stage, Thunderbolt support, an M.2 port for WiFi cards, antenna mounting ports, among others. For that price it seems a DisplayPort output was something that had to be sacrificed.

While Intel touts 4K support by some of their iGPUs, I have a 4K monitor and I now know the reality of 4K display usage with a modern video card over a DisplayPort and HDMI connection. Given that, I didn't bother trying the Intel iGPU in an i5-6600K over DisplayPort in my Z170 board. I have no idea what you expect it to be capable of, but I would not expect much and certainly no gaming.

Does any other mother board manufacture have an equivalent board with DisplayPort output for the iGPU at that price level?

I understand your frustration, but IMO you are expecting more from a board at this price level than can be expected. Or expected anymore. Your feature priorities may not match what is popular now unfortunately.

While I agree with you about the analog VGA ports that I never use, you might be surprised at the number of people that would have a fit if they were removed.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic