ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi, Fast Boot not working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flashburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi, Fast Boot not working
    Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 5:26am
The Fast Boot option on my X370 Taichi doesn't seem to work. I tried both the stock 1.20 bios and the latest 1.51 Beta. Every time I reboot after enabling it my system fails to post and shows an code of 97 on the motherboard.

Is this a known issue? If so, is there an ETA for a fix?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 9:23am
What GPU do you have and do you know if it has a GOP vBIOS ?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 11:44am
Originally posted by flashburn flashburn wrote:

The Fast Boot option on my X370 Taichi doesn't seem to work. I tried both the stock 1.20 bios and the latest 1.51 Beta. Every time I reboot after enabling it my system fails to post and shows an code of 97 on the motherboard.

Is this a known issue? If so, is there an ETA for a fix?

I assume you are using the Ultra Fast setting of Fast Boot?

What version of Windows are you using? It must be Windows 8.1 or 10.

Did you install Windows in UEFI booting mode?

As wardog asked, what video card are you using and does it's VBIOS support the UEFI GOP protocol?

All of those things must be true or you cannot use the Ultra Fast option.
flashburn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flashburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 1:56am
I'm using a AMD Fury X. I'm not sure what a GOP vBios is.

It's on Windows 10 in UEFI mode. Perhaps the Fury X doesn't support this?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 9:39am
Originally posted by flashburn flashburn wrote:

I'm using a AMD Fury X. I'm not sure what a GOP vBios is.

It's on Windows 10 in UEFI mode. Perhaps the Fury X doesn't support this?

GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) is a UEFI booting standard that a video card's BIOS (VBIOS) must support when a PC is truly UEFI booting. More on that in a moment.

It depends on the video card manufacture if they have a UEFI/GOP compatible VBIOS. New video cards like yours can support GOP, but the manufacture must include that in their product's VBIOS. Older video cards either cannot support GOP, or need a VBIOS update to add GOP support, if that is possible.

Search for GPU-Z (not CPU-Z), download and run it. The main tab display will look like this:

In this picture, just below "NVIDIA" you can see "UEFI" and a check box. If it is checked as mine is, your video card supports UEFI/GOP.

A UEFI mode Windows installation will have the OS drive formatted in GPT mode, rather than MBR mode. Disk Management will show an EFI System Partition on the OS drive.

Normally when trying to use the Ultra Fast option when the PC does not support it, when the PC boots you'll be put directly into the UEFI/BIOS UI to fix the Fast Boot option.

You said you get a POST code of 97 on the Dr Debug display, and POST fails, correct? That is not what I would expect to happen. Code 97 is a problem with a PCIe device, although that can also be related to a memory problem.

Please check for UEFI support of your video card, and for the EFI System partition on you OS drive. Also, what is the full model number of the memory you are using?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 10:26am
I'd really REALLY like to think the Fury X was introduced with a GOP compatible vBIOS.

Yet ....... sigh ......... as parsec points out, there is an easy way to verify using GPU-z.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 11:12am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I'd really REALLY like to think the Fury X was introduced with a GOP compatible vBIOS.

Yet ....... sigh ......... as parsec points out, there is an easy way to verify using GPU-z.

I would imagine it does support GOP, but we have no idea what the manufacture is. I've heard of some  earlier Nvidia based video cards that did not have a GOP compatible VBIOS. I know EVGA's Nvidia cards since the 700 series are GOP compatible, and their 600 series could be made GOP compatible with a VBIOS update, which I have done myself. AMD/ATI video cards, I am not familiar with.

I'm also not certain what the reaction of a Ryzen system with the use of the Ultra Fast option will be when the PC is not configured to use it. Plus we have not fully determined if the OS installation is fully UEFI booting.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Plus we have not fully determined if the OS installation is fully UEFI booting.

Yea. That's the biggest piece of the puzzle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic