ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 Sata plugs do not work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 Sata plugs do not work
    Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 7:07am
Hi,

I have an ASRock mobo
Board: ASRock 880GM-LE FX
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.10 11/08/2011

I have 3 Hard drives and a CDrom in and they are all fine.
I try to put another 500GB Seagate into the case and it be seen in Win 10 x64 Explorer or Disk Mgmt
or Bios.

I put that same disk into an external USB 2 case and it comes up fine and cane be seen everywhere.

I have change the sata cable and power cables 3 times and even put the new disk where another working disk was, but still cannot see it.

There are 2 sata plus that do not work so I am down to 4 that work.

How can I test the 2 sata plugs ?

Why would the drive not work in the case but in the external.

Thanks

oz

More info in case it helps..

3.30 gigahertz AMD FX -6100 Six-Core
288 kilobyte primary memory cache
6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache
8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (3 total)
Hyper-threaded (6 total)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 9:39am
Originally posted by ozstar ozstar wrote:

Hi,

I have an ASRock mobo
Board: ASRock 880GM-LE FX
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.10 11/08/2011

I have 3 Hard drives and a CDrom in and they are all fine.
I try to put another 500GB Seagate into the case and it be seen in Win 10 x64 Explorer or Disk Mgmt
or Bios.

I put that same disk into an external USB 2 case and it comes up fine and cane be seen everywhere.

I have change the sata cable and power cables 3 times and even put the new disk where another working disk was, but still cannot see it.

There are 2 sata plus that do not work so I am down to 4 that work.

How can I test the 2 sata plugs ?

Why would the drive not work in the case but in the external.

Thanks

oz

More info in case it helps..

3.30 gigahertz AMD FX -6100 Six-Core
288 kilobyte primary memory cache
6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache
8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (3 total)
Hyper-threaded (6 total)

You wrote:

I try to put another 500GB Seagate into the case and it be seen in Win 10 x64 Explorer or Disk Mgmt or Bios.

I'm sure you meant to write, "... and it cannot be seen in Win 10...", right?

You are using the very first BIOS version for your board, version 1.10. You should update to the latest version, 1.70, using the BIOS/Instant Flash method. The new BIOS version may have added new options for the Storage Configuration screen. The old IDE HDD port on your board might be sharing resources with the SATA ports, which might be why the other two are not working, but I cannot be sure of that. Your board's manual does not have any information about that, and the manuals are not updated to match the new BIOS updates.

What is the SATA Operation Mode option set to in the BIOS, Storage Configuration screen? Is it set to the default IDE mode?

The SATA Operation Mode should be set to AHCI for modern SATA drives. If you installed Windows 10 with the SATA Mode set to IDE, you might not be able to just change it to AHCI mode, the PC might not boot. It won't hurt anything to try setting it to AHCI, hopefully Windows 10 will load the AHCI driver when it boots.

Is the 500GB HDD you are trying to install a SATA III HDD? The SATA interface on your board is SATA II, which should work fine with a SATA III HDD, but if you are using IDE mode, the storage driver that is installed might not work with a SATA III HDD. Also there are parts of the BIOS that are used by drives, that may need updating to work with new HDDs. Since your board's chipset supports IDE drives, I'm concerned about its support of newer drives.

The drive works over USB because the USB ports and interface to the external enclosure works, and converts from SATA to USB. It sounds like the 500GB HDD is not compatible with your board's SATA interface, for reasons that I described above, or for another reason.

Did you try one of the drives that have been working in the other SATA ports that you tried to use with the new HDD?

What did you use for drivers when you installed Windows 10? The newest OS version I see in you board's download list is Windows 7.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 10:28am
Aand, this is NOT with using an IDE<>SATA adapter?
ozstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 12:59pm
HI, 

I now have the Bios file... 889GLFX1.70 however F2 in Bios and F6 can't find it.

I have it in the root of C: (o/s drive)

oz
ozstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 1:34pm
Well.. Finally got the new Bios 1.7 but first screen said to disconnect all drives that did not have o/s. Did that and here it is.  Still haven't added the drives yet but will do after this post.

The Sata Controller is set to IDE and also Combined.  Tried to change to AHCI but all drives disappeared so put it back.

The drive I am talking about is an older Sata2 and has been in use for a few years now.

Plenty of thanks for the help and I hope I can get it to work now.  Will report back  :-)
ozstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 3:56pm
It seems the only thing I haven't done is the power supply. My guess is it can't cope with 4 drives + CD in the case.

Is there any test to see if this is the case?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic