ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X370 Gaming K4 supports 2933 mem but AB350 3200?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Gaming K4 supports 2933 mem but AB350 3200?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Gaming K4 supports 2933 mem but AB350 3200?
    Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:03am
I always run ASRock Boards but i was unable to grab one at the time of release. I have been running a MSI B350 Tomahawk That i am now able to get my Corsair LPX 3200 to run at 3200.

I was able to grabe an asrock x370 gaming k4 from newegg yesterday which i want to swap it out for but notic its only able to go up to 2933 according to there documentation. this is crazy to me since the asrock ab350 gaming k4 is listed to be able to do 3200 memory speed... what is going on here asrock? 

Do i just need to wait for bios updates? this new chipset seems like a crapshoot with any combo currently...
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:50am
Right hand, left hand going on there.

Your 3200, assuming it's compatible with the Gaming K4, will/should run 3200.

Take a peek at the "left hand' Memory QVL for the Gaming K4 and you'll see it's listing 3200 there:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X370%20Gaming%20K4/#Memory

Do though before buying check Corsairs Memory Finder or contact them to verify compatibility:
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/memory-finder

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 9:21am
Originally posted by jerflash jerflash wrote:

I always run ASRock Boards but i was unable to grab one at the time of release. I have been running a MSI B350 Tomahawk That i am now able to get my Corsair LPX 3200 to run at 3200.

I was able to grabe an asrock x370 gaming k4 from newegg yesterday which i want to swap it out for but notic its only able to go up to 2933 according to there documentation. this is crazy to me since the asrock ab350 gaming k4 is listed to be able to do 3200 memory speed... what is going on here asrock? 

Do i just need to wait for bios updates? this new chipset seems like a crapshoot with any combo currently...

The Ryzen chipset (X370, B350, etc) in a board is completely unrelated to the memory speed capability of a Ryzen board and CPU pair. The chipsets on these boards provide very few features, as most of them are now part of a Ryzen processor. The memory controller is also part of the CPU itself, as has been the case with the FX series of AMD processors.

In general for mother boards, the maximum over clocked memory speed possible does depend upon the design and build quality of the memory slots and memory signal connections between the slots and the CPU socket. Support from the UEFI/BIOS for higher speed memory is also a factor, as you know.

If you've been reading Ryzen processor and mother board reviews, you know that memory speed and compatibility is one of if not the major issue with new Ryzen systems. Yes, you should wait for UEFI/BIOS updates for your board to provide better support for higher speed memory.

In the situation you are concerned with, what you are comparing is the specifications of one of the first ASRock Ryzen boards released, the X370 Gaming K4, with a model that was released later, the AB350 Gaming K4.

The specifications for the AB350 Gaming K4 match the UEFI/BIOS support for memory speeds that are possible with the latest updates. The specifications for the X370 Gaming K4 are based upon the UEFI/BIOS support available at the time that model was released, prior to the AB350 Gaming K4.

If you check the Memory QVL of the X370 Gaming K4 today, 04/19/17, you'll find one 3200 speed memory model listed. Yes the AB350 Gaming K4 has more 3200 models listed, but both models have identical main and Beta UEFI/BIOS versions with the same updates. They should work the same, as far as I know.

The reality is, the Specification for the X370 Gaming K4 were most likely simply not updated.

If we check the table shown in the Memory section of the Specifications of both of these boards, showing which memory slots to use with single and dual rank memory of various speeds, we find that they are identical.

All I can tell you is the focus of the work on Ryzen boards at ASRock is upon the UEFI/BIOS updates to provide better performance and more features. Updating the specifications must be being overlooked.
jerflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 11:22pm
OK i do see a 3200 module listed now which would mean it should support it yes. I just wanted yo make sure before swapping boards and not being able to utilize all of the features thats all.

Thanks for the help i should be getting the board soon enough. I can test more then but i have always had excellent luck with asrock boards. Their bios is my favorite to work in as well
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:15am
hahaha

You can delete it but a copy had been sent out by then.

Right hand, left hand
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/left-hand-doesn-t-know-what-the-right-hand-is-doing--the

Uncoordinated. Out of sync.

jerflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:17am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

hahaha

You can delete it but a copy had been sent out by then.

Right hand, left hand
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/left-hand-doesn-t-know-what-the-right-hand-is-doing--the

Uncoordinated. Out of sync.

HA ya i know i read your post completely wrong at first... was on my phone and reading fast my bad lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic