ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi wireless underperforming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtgllc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi wireless underperforming
    Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 11:46am
Using the integrated Intel dual-band wireless-ac 3168, this machine seems to be restricted to 802.11b speeds using a wireless-ac router (Netgear R6300v2).

The last machine to connect to the same router with an 802.11ac NIC used a generic Rosewill PCIe 1x adapter.  It never achieved full speed, but it certainly broke 200 Mbps on a regular basis.

This thing wants to do 54 Mbps.

Tried a driver update from the Intel site (newer drivers than the ones provided by ASRock support), to no avail.

Anyone else having this problem? At the present, an old Asus 802.11n USB wifi NIC is providing better performance.  Which is kind of sad.
mgrandy@hotmail.co.u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 1:32pm
exactly what you state. your wireless uses a connection of wireless n or g these run at u guessed it 802.11 this is the max speed of any wireless device 

wired this is a different story 
drivers wont do what you what you cannot improve the connection because your limited to wireless g or n connection
get your lan cable plug in from router and boom 54 mbs

different devices will perform at different rates but i can assure you unless some magic and teleportation into the future you wont get much more than 1mb/s at most 802.11 kbs

what the 200mbs per sec is  exactly how many devices  this connection can support max so hook up 3 pcs and 54 ipads and you should just about be there

now have a look at your router. what is the wireless net connection type? g or n right? now say i had my PC lan-ed with no wireless available on the router. i had 54 mates all wanted on. had brought over there pc's. sitting waiting with there 802.11 wireless cards, this is what that card is for!!

so really you bought a card to support 200 mbs/s but your lan only supports 54mb/s you may have to keep for a good few years or moons yet. that should give you ample time to buy the extra 2 tachi's setups and 40 or so ipads

Edited by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u - 20 Mar 2017 at 2:14pm
fx 9370 asrock, fatal1ty 970 performance 3.1, NZXT phantom f-atx, AeroCool Integrator 850W, Corsair Hydro Series H100
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u mgrandy@hotmail.co.u wrote:

exactly what you state. your wireless uses a connection of wireless n or g these run at u guessed it 802.11 this is the max speed of any wireless device 

wired this is a different story 
drivers wont do what you what you cannot improve the connection because your limited to wireless g or n connection
get your lan cable plug in from router and boom 54 mbs

different devices will perform at different rates but i can assure you unless some magic and teleportation into the future you wont get much more than 1mb/s at most 802.11 kbs

what the 200mbs per sec is  exactly how many devices  this connection can support max so hook up 3 pcs and 54 ipads and you should just about be there

now have a look at your router. what is the wireless net connection type? g or n right? now say i had my PC lan-ed with no wireless available on the router this is what that card is for!!

so really you bought a card to support 200 mbs/s but your lan only supports 54mb/s you may have to keep for a good few years or moons yet. that should give you apmle time to buy the extra 2 tachi's setups and 40 or so ipads

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS IS JUST FALSE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

His Netgear R6300v2 is a 1750 AC Router, the wi-fi on the MB is capable of single stream of 433Mbp.

Odds are at an optimal 5Ghz wi-fi connection using the "card' that came with the MB should come close to 300Mbp. Again, that's with an optimal connection. So 200Mbp isn't that far off the mark.

mgrandy, by your explanation, my connection I just screengrabbed shouldn't be possible:

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 2:26pm
rtgllc, does your connection change any with disabling the BT portion of the adapter?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 4:30pm
http://ark.intel.com/products/94854/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-3168

• TX/RX Streams 1x1
  • Max Speed 433 Mbp

It, the adapter, should still be doing better than 54Mbps.

1. Check that you are using WPA2 Security. The 1st must.

2. Also req'd is to enable WMM. The 2nd must.

Advanced > Setup > QoS : "Enable WMM (Wi-Fi Multimedia) settings"

WMM is Enabled by Default on ALL the Netgear routers I've owned or setup, and that's been a lot. Like 100's. If WMM is Disabled is it because you yourself did so.

Post back please.

Those two above should get you back to a speed more resembling what you'd expect from the R6300 and Intel AC-3168.
rtgllc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtgllc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 2:50am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

http://ark.intel.com/products/94854/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-3168

• TX/RX Streams 1x1
  • Max Speed 433 Mbp

It, the adapter, should still be doing better than 54Mbps.

1. Check that you are using WPA2 Security. The 1st must.

2. Also req'd is to enable WMM. The 2nd must.

Advanced > Setup > QoS : "Enable WMM (Wi-Fi Multimedia) settings"

WMM is Enabled by Default on ALL the Netgear routers I've owned or setup, and that's been a lot. Like 100's. If WMM is Disabled is it because you yourself did so.

Post back please.

Those two above should get you back to a speed more resembling what you'd expect from the R6300 and Intel AC-3168.

Will do, thanks! Was wondering where the WMM setting was on this router . . .
rtgllc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtgllc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 3:00am
Activating WMM and disabling the bluetooth elements of the board in Device Manager brought DL speeds up to ~52 Mbps and UL speeds up to ~71 Mbps, which is better performance than before.

The old PCIe 802.11ac NIC still performed a little better, but not by much.  At least the integrated wifi is performing about as well as the n USB NIC now.

So that's an improvement.

edit: wait that was just one Internet test.  The Ookla test came out like so:

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6156523327

Now we're talkin!

edited by wardog to add result image

Edited by wardog - 24 Mar 2017 at 4:21am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 4:24am
Originally posted by rtgllc rtgllc wrote:

Activating WMM and disabling the bluetooth elements of the board in Device Manager brought DL speeds up to ~52 Mbps and UL speeds up to ~71 Mbps, which is better performance than before.

The old PCIe 802.11ac NIC still performed a little better, but not by much.  At least the integrated wifi is performing about as well as the n USB NIC now.

So that's an improvement.

edit: wait that was just one Internet test.  The Ookla test came out like so:

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6156523327

Now we're talkin!

2ms. You sux. Mine range 8-12ms

Edited by wardog - 24 Mar 2017 at 4:25am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic