ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 killer SLI/ac 3000MHz memory?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raxbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 killer SLI/ac 3000MHz memory?
    Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 5:50pm
Hi,

I am a bit confused on whether this board (X370 Killer SLI/ac) can achieve memory speeds around 3000 MHz, because in UEFI I can see options for clocking the memory up to 3200, but in the motherboard's manual it only says that up to 2667 is supported. So what is the actual limit?

In UEFI I tried the 2993 option, but the system did not POST, but is this something that can be fixed with an UEFI update?

I am asking because it looks like Ryzen's performance depends on the speed at which the infinity fabric is running, which seems to be determined by the memory speed. Should I just change the mobo if I want higher memory speeds?

Thanks!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:00pm
The below page explains things easier than me typing out a 6 paragraph reply.

Suffice it that Ryzen does not have 3000 and 3400 memory divisors. That doesn't mean they won't function, assuming compatibility.

To be clear,  as it is wholly CPU related and not BIOS nor motherboard shortcomings, this applies across ALL motherboard manufacturer's, not just ASRock.

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/14/tips-for-building-a-better-amd-ryzen-system

hth

raxbg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raxbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 6:16pm
Yay, so 3200 memory should work :) 

One last question: My current memory is rated at 3000+, should I expect it to work at 3200 or should I change it with one rated at 3200? When I tried 3200 with the current BIOS version it did not work. I see a BIOS update coming, so maybe that will fix it?

Thanks again :)
ming3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ming3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 11:30pm
Give 2933 a go then. 

My 3000 Team ram will only go up to 2666 but I haven't messed with timings too much.
raxbg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raxbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 3:53pm
My memory is also from Team and I was only able to get it up to 2666. I will wait for the BIOS update to get out of BETA so I can mess with the timings and try to get it any higher. Although I am happy with the current performance and will probably not spend too much time trying to get higher memory speeds. It's not the end of the world :D

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic