ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 - Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronin4740 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 - Questions
    Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 11:05pm
It's been quite a while since I built my last system (an Intel Core i7 970 based system) so what I know about building is a bit behind the times.  

Looking through the manual and beginning the build has left me with a couple of questions:

1.  I purchased 2 M.2 SSD sticks but while there's two included screws only one seems to fit properly.  Any idea where I can get another screw for the second M.2 SSD board?

2.  The printed manual says that RAM goes into A1 and B1 but there's a loose sheet of paper that says it goes into A2 and B2.  Also the online manual says A2 and B2.  I'm presuming that the online manual and the loose sheet of paper are correct?  

3.  The manual states "To configure 7.1 CH HD Audio, it is required to use an HD front panel audio module and enable the multichannel audio feature through the audio driver."  I have no idea what an HD Front panel audio module is and no idea whether the NZXT Phantom 410 case I intend to put the motherboard into has one or if I need to buy one.  Ideally I'd want to get SPDIF output but the Logitech speakers I use can accept audio from three mini plugs to get 5.1 audio... Should I go buy a Soundcard with an optical output or go try to find an HD front panel audio module?  (I have googled the crap out of this without much success btw...)

Thanks for the help. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 11:14pm
Welcome to the forums Thumbs Up

I hear ya with being behind on the building side of things LOL I had the same issue when I built my Haswell system a few years back. While I had built and maintained a ton of systems between my Phenom II and the Haswell they were all with older parts. The UEFI was completely alien to me Ermm

1: The screws should both be the same, make sure they are not cross threaded.

2: The loose page/web are correct. Loose pages always denote an update.

3. Front panel audio is just the headphone and microphone jacks on your case that attach to the audio header on the board. Without them there are not enough outputs for 7.1 audio. If you want all your outputs through the back of the case you can pick up a cheap slot mounted audio module from just about any IT store so long as it uses the standard header.
Ronin4740 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronin4740 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 11:32pm
Thanks for the reply.  The two screws are clearly not the same size.  They came in two separate plastic bags... If there were supposed to be two M.2 screws in one bag then I'm missing one.  I'll see if I can source another screw at Ace or maybe the local computer shop.  

It sounds like I can configure the back panel audio ports for front l/r, rear l/r center and sub without the front panel audio thing?  I believe there's a headphone and mic jack on the top on the Phantom 410 case... Will look at it tonight.  

Thanks for the confirmation on the RAM location.  
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 11:57pm
Odd with the screws, they typically come 1 in a bag with 2 bags included though that was with my Z270 Gaming K6 (much more expensive) board so yours may only come with one.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Ronin4740 Ronin4740 wrote:

It's been quite a while since I built my last system (an Intel Core i7 970 based system) so what I know about building is a bit behind the times.  

Looking through the manual and beginning the build has left me with a couple of questions:

1.  I purchased 2 M.2 SSD sticks but while there's two included screws only one seems to fit properly.  Any idea where I can get another screw for the second M.2 SSD board?

2.  The printed manual says that RAM goes into A1 and B1 but there's a loose sheet of paper that says it goes into A2 and B2.  Also the online manual says A2 and B2.  I'm presuming that the online manual and the loose sheet of paper are correct?  

3.  The manual states "To configure 7.1 CH HD Audio, it is required to use an HD front panel audio module and enable the multichannel audio feature through the audio driver."  I have no idea what an HD Front panel audio module is and no idea whether the NZXT Phantom 410 case I intend to put the motherboard into has one or if I need to buy one.  Ideally I'd want to get SPDIF output but the Logitech speakers I use can accept audio from three mini plugs to get 5.1 audio... Should I go buy a Soundcard with an optical output or go try to find an HD front panel audio module?  (I have googled the crap out of this without much success btw...)

Thanks for the help. 

Regarding your two M.2 SSDs, which type are they, what models in particular?

This is important because the two M.2 ports on your board have different specifications, and can only work with certain M.2 SSDs.

The top Ultra M2_1 port supports M.2 PCIe NVMe SSDs, such as the Samsung 960 Pro or EVO, 950 Pro, Intel 600p, OCZ RD400, and others.

The lower M2_2 port only supports SATA M.2 SSDs. The M2_2 port also shares resources with the SATA3_3 port.

Please check the Storage section of your board's Specifications for these details:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20AB350%20Gaming%20K4/index.asp#Specification
Ronin4740 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronin4740 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 1:20am
There were two bags with one screw each but with different part numbers and only one of the two screws would fit. 

M.2 SSDs...

Well... I bought two of these:  

Was thinking I could boot from them and create a RAID 0 array out of both.  Am going to bet you're about to disappoint me... 

Edited by Ronin4740 - 29 Mar 2017 at 1:22am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 1:46am
What ......... parsec ........ disappoint?

Heh, parsec's forgotten more about RAID than I EVER knew!

Ronin4740 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronin4740 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 4:23am
Did a bunch more reading prompted by Parsec's post and am pretty sure that the Micron M.2 ssd sticks aren't going to let me boot in M2_1 and since the slots are different am also guessing that there's no way to (or if there is it'd be silly to) create a RAID 0 array using both of the M.2 cards.  They'd run at different speeds and it would pretty much nullify the speed boost that the Ultra slot would normally have over SSD.  

Wished I'd had time to do all of the research up front but I happened to be at an event in Los Angeles, found a Microcenter and my self control withered when I started looking at a Ryzen upgrade.  Now I'm 500 miles away back home with parts that I wouldn't have bought if I'd planned this upgrade rather than had it be a spontaneous purchase.  

Anyway to resolve this issue I just ordered one of these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4OO1FT/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's definitely an NVMe card, has the right connector and gets good reviews.  Amazon's warehouse is basically next door so prime next day shipping was cheap.  If it works great, if not I'll send it back.  As for the Micron boards I'll call Microcenter and see if they'll let me return them via USPS.  I don't think they'll work in either slot and even if they do I don't really see the need for a small SSD storage drive in this build.   

So, I'll have to wait one more day before I finish the full build but I can still tear the i7 build apart and start putting the new components in place.  Hopefully the Crucial Balistics Sport LT modules I bought will let the BIOS POST (or whatever the UEFI equivalent terminology is).  I do have a very old and not particularly reliable SSD I can install the OS on to then can clone it to the NVMe card.  This ought to let me get the build done by the weekend and correct any other issues in the hastily cobbled together list of parts so that I have something up and running by Saturday. 

Moral of the story - impulse buying is satisfying but often leads to spending more money correcting for flaws in the overall plan.

potyec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potyec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 5:07am
I have the same mobo I can run my ram (Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz )on 2933 Mhz .
Could anybody make it run at 3200 ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic