ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

No boot-up (ASRock G31DE)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asrockian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No boot-up (ASRock G31DE)
    Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 4:03am
Post is closed. I threw the whole thing out. Think it was unfixable. Thanks for the help!

When I recently tried to turn on my pc, it didn't boot up, and I have no idea why. I really hope you can help me with some expert advice.

My pc has an ASRock G31DE motherboard, is about five years old, and the problem started when the pc had been unplugged and unused for about half a year. I noticed that the keyboard lights (Num Lock, Caps Lock, Screen Lock) were blinking several times, repeatedly. The motherboard manual does not help me diagnose the reason. Do you know what it might be?

I went on a googling safari for some help. This led me to try to reset my CMOS (as the manual described it, shorting the CMOS via a jumper cap on the pins). My pc still won't boot. The lights no longer blink, but I'm not sure this was caused by the CMOS reset, since I didn't check on every try, and also tried changing from my old PS/2 keyboard to a newer USB keyboard (whose lights never blinked during the boot-up attempts). I just replaced the CMOS battery (figured it couldn't hurt, and the battery doesn't cost a thing). But still nothing.

So what I have is a pc whose power light is on when I plug in power - I can't even shut it down while it's plugged in (holding in the power button for 20 s doesn't do anything). There seems to be no sound at all, and no lights blinking, so I have no idea how to diagnose the problem, other than if the blinking keyboard lights, although that stopped, can give me a hint.

(I found some troubleshooting advice via googling that adviced changing mouse and keyboard, so I've tried changing from my old PS/2 keyboard and old USB mouse to a new USB keyboard and a new USB mouse - and even only leaving the PS/2 keyboard in. No change. I also tried changing the status for the PS2_USB_PWR1 jumper. No change, again.)

Edited by asrockian - 10 Jun 2018 at 3:25pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 4:29am
With any PC that has been sitting for a while (3 months or more) I usually unplug everything from the motherboard and reconnect it, power connections, RAM and graphics card. Often when electronics sit for a while, especially if there is a lot of humidity, corrosion can form on contacts and cause havoc with the system.

Good luck and welcome to the forums Smile 
asrockian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asrockian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 1:17pm
Thank you for your input and your welcome. I tried unplugging and reconnecting HDDs, graphics card and RAM, while the system was unpugged. I can't register any change when I try to boot up though.

If there hadn't been the at least two instances of blinking keyboard lights, I would think it was simply the power button that doesn't work, since all that's going on right now is that the power-on light near the power button is turned on, and I can't even turn it off. Currently my pc is just a clunky and expensive flashlight that doesn't tell me how to change that situation..
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 1:39pm
So no fans are spinning up?

Check the board for any residue, I had a PC come into my shop once that had been urinated on by a cat, funny as it sounds it can seriously damage the system.

Does the power supply fan spin up when the unit turns on? 
It may be worth while disconnecting the power and reset switches from the motherboard. If the reset switch is stuck it can cause the problem you are seeing.
asrockian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asrockian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 8:34pm
No fans are spinning up, neither the one on the CPU nor the fan in the back of the cabinet. And I'm quire sure the power supply fan doesn't turn on either. There's really no sound, just the light at the power switch on the power supply and the light at the front-cabinet power button.

I can't see any residue on the board - just some dust, but no real cakes of dust in any one place.

I'm not sure what resetting switches mean? Can I read about it in the manual?
ftp://europe.asrock.com/manual/G31DE.pdf
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 8:37pm
On the front of your case you have a power and a reset switch. Those switches connect to the motherboard via cables, you need to remove the one labeled "reset" from the motherboard and see if that helps. 

If not then you may want to try another power supply with your system. 
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:14am
You should remove the 20 -24 power pin and the 8 pin to CPU, check to see if they look like they were overheated, and on the board look at the housing of the power pins. 

A board sitting is prone to moisture,  and it's not your friend.

Google how to manually start your  PSU, very easy, if you try it and the fan won't come on and stay on,  it's most likely you need a new PSU.  If you do this with it connected to the board and it shut s off, you probably need a new one. 

I would  try disconnecting the power switch, reset switch,  from the board "" FIRST"",  if it boots, you should get new switches. 

Edited by odiebugs - 26 Jul 2015 at 4:15am
asrocking
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 12:42am
If none of the fans were spinning that is clearly a power problem of some kind.

Since the board is an older model, and I assume the other parts are of a similar vintage, and it has been sitting unused without any power applied for six months, an electrolytic capacitor may have failed. They have discharged completely in that amount of time without power applied, and deteriorated from there.

If the PSU fan does not spin, and it is not one of the newer types that do not run the fan until it warms up, then the PSU is the first thing to replace.

Hopefully it is only the PSU that is bad and not the board's capacitors.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic