ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatl1ty 990FX Killer Does not see m.2 drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcbuilder2017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatl1ty 990FX Killer Does not see m.2 drive
    Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 11:23pm
Greetings, I have installed a Samsung m.2 drive on this motherboard.  It is not seen in BIOS.  Trying different modes with no success.  Current mode is AHCI.  The Optical Drive is seen in BIOS.

Machine will boot in to Windows 10 using the Windows Boot Manager.  Not sure why as I did not install any Windows 10-- simply assembled machine and powered on.

What should I modify to get BIOS to see m.2 drive for Windows 7 installation?

twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 2:55am
Originally posted by pcbuilder2017 pcbuilder2017 wrote:

Greetings, I have installed a Samsung m.2 drive on this motherboard.  It is not seen in BIOS.  Trying different modes with no success.  Current mode is AHCI.  The Optical Drive is seen in BIOS.

Machine will boot in to Windows 10 using the Windows Boot Manager.  Not sure why as I did not install any Windows 10-- simply assembled machine and powered on.

You need to make sure you have the latest BIOS revision to enable NVMe support. Once you've done that, you should see the drive listed in the BIOS.

Originally posted by pcbuilder2017 pcbuilder2017 wrote:

What should I modify to get BIOS to see m.2 drive for Windows 7 installation?

I've installed WIN7 with that board on a Samsung 950 Pro. All you need to do is ensure you have the latest BIOS revision, and it should detect the drive just fine.

NOTE: If you are using the onboard m.2 slot, it is limited to only 10Gbps, so you won't get the full speed of even a SM951, much less a 950 or 960. Unfortunately, with that board, you should still buy an adapter to plug into one of the PCIe slots to get the full benefit of the PCIe SSD.

EDIT: It is a good rule of thumb with WIN7 to only have the drive your are installing the OS to (in this case, your m.2 Samsung drive) connected at the time of installation.

EDIT2: One other thing on WIN7.. You may want to "find" a copy of the installation that is UEFI-based. I won't say where you should go looking for it, because that would probably be a breach of the Forum's TOS. That should be enough of a hint.

Anyway, I wish I had done that on 3 system's I've built, because now I'll have to muck about to get WIN10 over to UEFI. UEFI based Windows installations load faster, are more secure, and are less prone to the irritating boot errors you see in a CSM based installation (read: power failure boot corruptions).

Edited by twf85 - 01 Apr 2017 at 4:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic