ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why did you build a RYZEN system?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 1:00am
Video encoding system; mostly handbrake to e-encode video files in various formats. Also, I'm an enthusiast, and I like to experience new technology; or is this case platform architecture. This was a play system since my 4.5GHz 6600K system could do the same task, just slower.
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 4:43am
Originally posted by Asylum Asylum wrote:

The reason why I upgraded to an 1800X was because I saw the platform I had was at risk of becoming a bottleneck in the future due to newer games capping my CPU and even 3DMark was making fun of me saying, "GPU is ready to rumble, but your CPU doesn't want to play" Unhappy lol Ryzen's new design and performance attracted me for the price... and to me, 8 cores are the future, like the same as when dual core came out, and I go where there the future is because I am a computer enthusiast, and keeping up with technology and building computers has been my hobby my whole life.

Which CPU did you have before the 1800X?

This is what I originally went with but had to RMA the Taichi...

AMD Ryzen 1800x
G.Skill DDR4 3866 @ 3200
Asrock Taichi X370
XFX Radeon R9 390X @ 1100/1400
2x OCZ Vertex 4 raid 0 (512gb)
WD Black 1TB HDD
Corsair HX1200i

Have you received a replacement yet? I'm wondering because I'd be interested to know if you've successfully boosted your sticks to 3200, as that seems to be a recurring issue for folks.

Also, you oughta upgrade to an NVMe drive or two ;)

Corrupted bios issues.

DOA, or did you try an update and it bricked it?

I hope so because a one horse race is no fun.

If they make enough of a splash that Intel is forced to react, it'll be better for everyone.
Asylum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asylum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 6:36am
Originally posted by twf85 twf85 wrote:

Which CPU did you have before the 1800X?
4690k had it overclocked to 4.5ghz

Have you received a replacement yet? I'm wondering because I'd be interested to know if you've successfully boosted your sticks to 3200, as that seems to be a recurring issue for folks.

Also, you oughta upgrade to an NVMe drive or two ;)
No I haven't received a replacement yet--the Taichis are still sorta scarce.  It came with bios v1.50 out of the box, and I was able to do 3200 with CAS 15 using 1.35 volts no problem--that was without adjusting the BCLK yet, so I guess I got lucky.  It posted just fine, I was able to install Windows and everything was running fine.  I was aiming for 3600, but I didn't get to try it... also the NVMe drives I want are kinda expensive atm esp. since I already spent a lot upgrading to an 1800X.  I might get one in the future.  I've been looking at the 960 pro 1TB.

DOA, or did you try an update and it bricked it?
I tried version 1.94A because I read that the people whom sucessfully flashed it were able to overclock the RAM better for some reason, but it ended up killing the board lol

Edited by Asylum - 05 Apr 2017 at 6:40am
mysticjbyrd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticjbyrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 9:45am
I wanted a new gaming rig that would last several years, sort of like my old LGA1366 system did.  I had that thing for at least 6 years.  It started with an i7 930, and then I upgraded it to a Xeon X5650 that I oc'd to 185 BCLK.  It's actually still a fairly decent system, but it was getting long in the tooth.

I will upgrade to the last generation of Ryzen on the AM4 platform about 5 years from now, and seeing where things go from there.  I suspect I will be using this Taichi for the next 7 years or so.

My current setup is:  

CPU

1700 @ 3900 MHz

LLC level 3

1.35v

DDR4

TridentZ 4000 MHz @ 3200 MHz

14-14-14-34

1.368V

VDDCR_SoC 1.104v

VDDCR_SoC LLC = Level 5

Edited by mysticjbyrd - 05 Apr 2017 at 9:46am
Is "God" able, but not willing to stop evil? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God???

??Epicurus
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 11:08am
Originally posted by mysticjbyrd mysticjbyrd wrote:

LLC level 3

VDDCR_SoC 1.104v

VDDCR_SoC LLC = Level 5

I just installed some of the Flare X sticks, and they seem to be running fine @ 3200 (no BSODs yet) with the voltage at 1.35 and these settings you've mentioned on Auto.

Should I be playing with those? Would it improve performance at all if I did?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic