ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi M2_2 doesn't detect disk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenesisDoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi M2_2 doesn't detect disk
    Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 2:11am
I have the X370 Taichi and in M2_1, the Ultra M.2 slot I have the Samsung 960 EVO which detects fine and is my boot drive. I purchased a Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (CT1050MX300SSD4) and it arrived today. When I put it in my M2_2 it doesn't detect disk at all. If I put it in M2_1 slot it doesn't detect. However, if I put it in my older Intel rig, it detects fine. Is this drive not compatible with this motherboard?< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 10:47pm
I don't believe your board supports an mSATA drive in the M.2_2 port. Needs to be a PCIe SSD.

The only way to get BOTH of those drives running in your system would be to reverse their installation locations. You'll take a performance hit on the 960, but given the size of the Crucial drive, it may be worth it to you. A 1TB PCIe SSD is considerably more expensive than what you have now.

Edited by twf85 - 10 Apr 2017 at 10:49pm
GenesisDoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenesisDoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 1:05am
Originally posted by twf85 twf85 wrote:

I don't believe your board supports an mSATA drive in the M.2_2 port. Needs to be a PCIe SSD.

The only way to get BOTH of those drives running in your system would be to reverse their installation locations. You'll take a performance hit on the 960, but given the size of the Crucial drive, it may be worth it to you. A 1TB PCIe SSD is considerably more expensive than what you have now.
< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">

I actually returned the Crucial drive and paid slightly more for same capacity Intel 600p drive.
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 8:18am
Not sure if I'd fork over cash for a drive with TLC memory, but it should function :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenesisDoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 10:24am
Originally posted by twf85 twf85 wrote:

Not sure if I'd fork over cash for a drive with TLC memory, but it should function :)
< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">

I've owned 4-5 SSD's with TLC and all of them have been fine. Samsung 840 EVO had a degradation issue but that was fixed with firmware update.
makaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 8:58pm
Hello,

I have the same problem. The Samsung 960 pro work fine on slot 1. The MX 300 M.2 1TB is not detected by BIOS when is placed on slot 2.  Any advice? 

Thanks
Tsvetomir
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by makaron makaron wrote:

Hello,

I have the same problem. The Samsung 960 pro work fine on slot 1. The MX 300 M.2 1TB is not detected by BIOS when is placed on slot 2.  Any advice? 

Thanks
Tsvetomir

Assuming you have the X370 Taichi board. From your board's specifications:

1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)

1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen2 x4 (20 Gb/s)

The M2_2 slot on this board does not support SATA M.2 SSDs. The M2_1 slot does support SATA M.2 SSDs, but the M2_2 slot is only PCIe 2.0 x4, instead of PCIe 3.0 x4, so a 960 Pro would not perform at its full potential in that slot.

Given the multiple types of M.2 SSDs (NVMe, AHCI, SATA), the limited resources provided by the processor (PCIe lanes) and chipset (SATA resources and PCIe lanes), and how the resources have been allocated in the design of a board, we must be very careful to check the specs of the M.2 slots when we consider using various M.2 SSDs.

ASRock has a table on the page below with the M.2 slot specs for their Ryzen boards. If support for something is not specifically stated, do not assume it is supported. There are other FAQ entries on this page:

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/AM4TSD/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenesisDoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 2:24am
Originally posted by makaron makaron wrote:

Hello,

Thanks
Tsvetomir

It isn't supported in the bottom slot unfortunately only the top slot for (Ultra M.2). I have returned my MX300 for an Intel 600P and it is working fine now in the bottom M2_2 slot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic