ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Pro4 and Samsung 960 EVO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350 Pro4 and Samsung 960 EVO
    Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 12:29pm
Hi,

Does anyone know if AB350 Pro4 with Ryzen is compatible with Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB, an SSD on M.2 NVMe? It's not on the list of supported M.2 SSDs found on page 33 of the manual. The document refers to the main ASRock web site for the latest information, but it's nowhere to be found.

Assuming it is supported (which does not seem to be that far fetched assumption), can you tell me if it's going to interfere in terms of bandwidth with NVidia GTX 1080, PCI Express x16 3.0?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by tracek tracek wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know if AB350 Pro4 with Ryzen is compatible with Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB, an SSD on M.2 NVMe? It's not on the list of supported M.2 SSDs found on page 33 of the manual. The document refers to the main ASRock web site for the latest information, but it's nowhere to be found.

Assuming it is supported (which does not seem to be that far fetched assumption), can you tell me if it's going to interfere in terms of bandwidth with NVidia GTX 1080, PCI Express x16 3.0?

You didn't mention the CPU being used, I assume a Ryzen 7 or 5 series.

A 960 EVO will be compatible with your board. As long as the board's UEFI/BIOS has NVMe support, which it does, you can use it as the OS drive. I use a 960 EVO in my X370 Killer SLI/ac board as the OS drive.

The M.2 slot shares resources with the PCIE4 slot, not the PCIE2 slot, so you'll get all 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes for the video card.

This is all stated in the specs:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/index.asp#Specification

Personally, I would be more worried about a video card interfering with the bandwidth of my NVMe M.2 SSD. Wink
SiX-P4cK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiX-P4cK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 6:30pm
Hello,

I have the AB350 pro4 + Samsung 960 EVO 250go and it's work perfectly.

I can post screenshoot perf if you are interested
tracek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Personally, I would be more worried about a video card interfering with the bandwidth of my NVMe M.2 SSD. Wink

This is exactly what I was worried about, sorry for not being clear :). Samsung 960 EVO has up to 3200 MB/s read speed. I am going to read large volumes of data into a graphics card, so I'd rather have them reading on separated channels. Now, should I expect any "interference"? To what you're saying it seems not, but I'd rather be sure than sorry.

Thanks for help!

Edited by tracek - 12 Apr 2017 at 11:00pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by tracek tracek wrote:

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

This is exactly what I was worried about, sorry for not being clear :). Samsung 960 EVO has up to 3200 MB/s read speed. I am going to read large volumes of data into a graphics card, so I'd rather have them reading on separated channels. Now, should I expect any "interference"? To what you're saying it seems not, but I'd rather be sure than sorry.

Thanks for help!

No interference at all. We simply need to understand the specifications.

Is this Ok? Wink

tracek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 1:34am
Simply beautiful :) 
Thanks so much!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic