ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z270 bios 2.0

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z270 bios 2.0
    Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 1:51am
Anyone install 2.0 and notice any improvements as it's hard to know if they changed the micro code or anything like that. Since all it says is adds intel optane support
chong67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chong67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 10:08pm
I update to 2.0.   I dont know how to use the Optane thing.
NM Accoutant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NM Accoutant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:18am
I'm running the Z270m-Pro4  board and using a PCI-E card as my boot drive, an Intel 750.  After installing version 2.0, when starting from a cold boot, the BIOS would not recognize the PCI-E card as even existing in the slot.  It's installed in slot 4.  Further, if I restarted the machine, on that second boot it included the PCI-E card as a boot device.

I tried many different changes to the BIOS settings.  No success.  The only time the PCI-E card is recognized is on a warm restart.  Any start from totally "off" is certain to exclude the card as a boot device.

I emailed ASRock and never got a response.  I reverted to version 1.40 as this is my business computer and the problem I experienced is not acceptable.
Demon009 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:21am
[URL=][/URL]
Originally posted by NM Accoutant NM Accoutant wrote:

I'm running the Z270m-Pro4? board and using a PCI-E card as my boot drive, an Intel 750.? After installing version 2.0, when starting from a cold boot, the BIOS would not recognize the PCI-E card as even existing in the slot.? It's installed in slot 4.? Further, if I restarted the machine, on that second boot it included the PCI-E card as a boot device.

I tried many different changes to the BIOS settings.? No success.? The only time the PCI-E card is recognized is on a warm restart.? Any start from totally "off" is certain to exclude the card as a boot device.

I emailed ASRock and never got a response.? I reverted to version 1.40 as this is my business computer and the problem I experienced is not acceptable.
did you ever try turning off windows built in fast start up? As you cold boot might not be so cold as with fast start up it boots from a copy of stuff saved to the hhd.it might be something they changed with the bios that doesn't play well with windows fast startup . But ya I am staying with 1.40. only feature added on 2.0 was optane micro code ect is the same.so since optane is stupid if you have a SSD for boot since it only works on boot drives so no use for your had storage drives.

Edited by Demon009 - 24 May 2017 at 10:24am
NM Acct View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NM Acct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 9:47pm
Thanks for the suggestion.

I did not mess with Fast Boot in the BIOS as I understand it makes it hard to enter the BIOS with that setting.  As you noted, the version 2.0 improvements concern only certain types of memory, I'm not sure it's even available yet.

I'm sticking with version 1.4 as it works fine and with two SSDs my machine is speedy enough.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by NM Accoutant NM Accoutant wrote:

I'm running the Z270m-Pro4  board and using a PCI-E card as my boot drive, an Intel 750.  After installing version 2.0, when starting from a cold boot, the BIOS would not recognize the PCI-E card as even existing in the slot.  It's installed in slot 4.  Further, if I restarted the machine, on that second boot it included the PCI-E card as a boot device.

I tried many different changes to the BIOS settings.  No success.  The only time the PCI-E card is recognized is on a warm restart.  Any start from totally "off" is certain to exclude the card as a boot device.

I emailed ASRock and never got a response.  I reverted to version 1.40 as this is my business computer and the problem I experienced is not acceptable.

I installed the 2.00 UEFI for my Z270 GK6 board, and initially had a strange drive recognition problem with an OCZ RD400 PCIe M.2 SSD (used in an M.2 to PCIe adapter card, not the OS drive) in the board's PCIE6 slot.

The PCIE6 slot is generally similar to your board's PCIE4 slot, both being secondary, PCIe 3.0 x4 slots electrically. My board has two M.2 slots, and the RD400 was being shown as being installed in the M2_2 slot in the Storage Configuration screen, which was wrong. I removed the RD400 for reasons described below.

I'm forgetting some of the details, since I was also using an Intel Optane drive in the M2_2 slot for the first time, with Windows 10 installed on a SATA III SSD. I have the Optane SSD working with the SATA SSD in accelerated mode, but did not try to install the RD400 again. I'll do that soon as a test.

Just curious, do you have the SATA mode set to RAID or AHCI?

I have a feeling these issues are related to the Optane support update, although besides the change to the Intel IRST Option ROM to version 15.5 in the UEFI, I don't know what else was done in the 2.00 UEFI versions.

Unless you are planning on using an Optane drive, which I doubt, you aren't missing anything by using the 1.40 UEFI version. This is the first time Optane drives could be used, and that is the time that side affects like this are detected.

Since a UEFI update resets all the options to their default values, is there any chance you forgot to restore an option you had set when using version 1.40? Did you configure any sub option of the CSM option when you installed Windows (?) on your Intel 750?
Demon009 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by NM Acct NM Acct wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.
?
I did not mess with Fast Boot in the BIOS as I understand it makes it hard to enter the BIOS with that setting.? As you noted, the version 2.0 improvements concern only certain types of memory, I'm not sure it's even available yet.
?
I'm sticking with version 1.4 as it works fine and with two SSDs my machine is speedy enough.
?
?
not fast boot fast start up. Fast start up is set in Windows power settings and saves windows drivers to you're boot drive when shutdown. Fast start up is automatically turned on when you first install windows
NM Acct View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NM Acct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 6:16am
I've been re-using version 1.40 for a few days.  The original issue for the Intel 750 not being recognized as the PCIE boot drive is gone.  I can reliably cold boot into Windows 7 in about 20 seconds.

To answer your questions, the BIOS is in ACHI mode and I changed the default settings after the ver. 2.0 upgrade to what I had under ver. 1.4.  I tried all combinations of the CSM module under ver. 2.0 and that truly resulted in different boot results just not what I needed.

I have been reminded why I wanted to use ver. 2.0.  It's because I was experiencing strange and unpredictable freezes of my computer which once they happened could only be fixed by a power button reboot.  Now that I went back to ver. 1.40 I've experienced the freezes again.

Based on my research about the freezes, I have updated my Intel HD Graphics 530 driver to the May 2017 version and so far no problem.  Since the freezing was sporadic to being with, it's too early to tell if the problem has been overcome.

Thanks for your interest and thoughts about my BIOS issues.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by NM Acct NM Acct wrote:

I've been re-using version 1.40 for a few days.  The original issue for the Intel 750 not being recognized as the PCIE boot drive is gone.  I can reliably cold boot into Windows 7 in about 20 seconds.

To answer your questions, the BIOS is in ACHI mode and I changed the default settings after the ver. 2.0 upgrade to what I had under ver. 1.4.  I tried all combinations of the CSM module under ver. 2.0 and that truly resulted in different boot results just not what I needed.

I have been reminded why I wanted to use ver. 2.0.  It's because I was experiencing strange and unpredictable freezes of my computer which once they happened could only be fixed by a power button reboot.  Now that I went back to ver. 1.40 I've experienced the freezes again.

Based on my research about the freezes, I have updated my Intel HD Graphics 530 driver to the May 2017 version and so far no problem.  Since the freezing was sporadic to being with, it's too early to tell if the problem has been overcome.

Thanks for your interest and thoughts about my BIOS issues.

I asked about the SATA mode since the last two major versions of the Intel IRST RAID driver support NVMe SSDs in RAID arrays, and act as the NVMe driver for those SSDs. I am using RAID mode with IRST version 15.5, and the Z270 2.00 UEFI versions include the matching IRST 15.5 Option ROM that is required when using an Intel Optane accelerator SSD, which I am experimenting with. All of this does not apply in AHCI mode, or when using the Intel NVMe driver, which you most likely use. Optane is only supported in Windows 10, I wonder if there is some bad interaction with Windows 7 and the IRST 15.5 Option ROM.

I put the NVMe RD400 SSD back in the PCIE4 slot, with the Optane SSD in the M2_2 slot. Now the RD400 was recognized fine and did not disturb the accelerated OS drive. I don't know what is causing the issue you have with 2.00 UEFI.

There has been at least one firmware update for the Intel 750 SSD (I have two), did you apply it via the Intel SSD Toolbox software? Very simple and will not ruin anything on the SSD. Just in case that would fix the recognition situation with UEFI 2.00.

If you are using only the Intel integrated graphics, you could put the 750 in the PCIE1 slot, in case that makes any difference, rather than using the PCE4 slot, and will still be recognized as the OS drive. That is, if you feel you need to use the 2.00 UEFI version.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic