ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock 970a G/3.1 FX8350 problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfmittens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock 970a G/3.1 FX8350 problems
    Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 1:04pm
I found a thread a couple months ago with someone having similar problems, But no solutions so far.

Built the computer about a month ago.
I'm having issues only on reboot. I'm not sure if it could be the power supply, but i'm kind of leaning towards a faulty mobo.
When powering up, im loosing power to usb. (keyboard isnt lighting up, so im assuming here) and also, no display output. All fans are coming on, and hard drive light will come on for a couple seconds and then goes black.
I've double-triple checked all connections. Usually messing around with it, and turning it off and on a couple dozen times, it will finally display. and boot up as normal.
I've double-triple checked all my connections, re-seated my gpu, tried hooking into different power outlet, and using hdmi instead of dvi, still the same. Kind of at a loss here. computer works flawlessly when its running, but if a game freezes, and forced to hard restart.... look out.

also, sometimes the power button becomes unresponsive.

Any ideas??
Thanks

Specs:

970a g/3.1 mobo
Fx8350
cryorig H7 cpu cooler
EVGA 500w psu
MSI R9 280x gaming 3g gpu
1x 8gig 1600 mhz ram
1tb hitachi hdd
corsair carbide spec 01 case

clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 9:29am
Remove the motherboard from the case to see if it works. I'm guesing and old motherboard stand off was left behind under the new motherboard.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 10:02am
Originally posted by wolfmittens wolfmittens wrote:

I found a thread a couple months ago with someone having similar problems, But no solutions so far.

Built the computer about a month ago.
I'm having issues only on reboot. I'm not sure if it could be the power supply, but i'm kind of leaning towards a faulty mobo.
When powering up, im loosing power to usb. (keyboard isnt lighting up, so im assuming here) and also, no display output. All fans are coming on, and hard drive light will come on for a couple seconds and then goes black.
I've double-triple checked all connections. Usually messing around with it, and turning it off and on a couple dozen times, it will finally display. and boot up as normal.
I've double-triple checked all my connections, re-seated my gpu, tried hooking into different power outlet, and using hdmi instead of dvi, still the same. Kind of at a loss here. computer works flawlessly when its running, but if a game freezes, and forced to hard restart.... look out.

also, sometimes the power button becomes unresponsive.

Any ideas??
Thanks

Specs:

970a g/3.1 mobo
Fx8350
cryorig H7 cpu cooler
EVGA 500w psu
MSI R9 280x gaming 3g gpu
1x 8gig 1600 mhz ram
1tb hitachi hdd
corsair carbide spec 01 case

Sorry but very little detail given about the PC itself. Such as, how many fans do you have in the PC case. But if the PC runs normally once it finally starts, that tells me the board is not bad.

Intermittent and strange problems like this are the worst to diagnose. They also are many times caused by the PSU.

Full model name/number of the PSU please. Is it new or from another PC build?

If you lose power to the keyboard, via USB port, and the HDD seems to try to start but then fails, that sounds like the 5V rail of the PSU is not working all the time. But that seems to happen after the freeze you mentioned, is that correct?

Do you have the problems from a cold boot? That is, when the PC is shutdown and hours later you start it up?

Have you ever monitored the GPU and CPU temperatures while gaming? The PSU is under maximum stress while gaming, and if it can't maintain itself, or it over heats (which is possible) it won't maintain it's power output. Starting a PC is not a low power draw situation, not full power but not low, and if the PSU is questionable after being stressed, it won't be starting fresh immediately.

How is the PSU mounted in the case, with its fan up or down?
wolfmittens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfmittens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 11:53am
The PSU is a new unit. It's an:

EVGA 500 W1,  500W Power Supply( 100-W1-0500-KR)

The gpu and hdd are the only used components on the pc.

Hdd was completely wiped,  and new os installed during first boot

PSU is mounted with the fan down, in the case pulling air through the bottom screen filter.

using 2x120 fans in the front of the case. and 1x120 fan in the rear of the case. along with the fan on the cpu cooler and psu.

I should've worded the freezing part differently. I had one game that was causing a black screen/freeze upon exiting, I do believe the pc was still responsive at this point, because my keyboard was still lit, and low memory commands like num lock on my keyboard were still functioning.

I was able to resolve that issue by changing the compatibility settings of the game, But I've never encountered a freeze other than that, so I dont think it was hardware related.

I don't really do a considerable amount of graphic-intensive gaming

But,

Max CPU temp after about 30 minutes of gaming, (ESO, ultra settings, gpu in oc mode) was 56 degrees (c)

GPU peaked at 68 (c)

Cold boot and hard restart both seems to show the problem, I had an issue with it when I first put the pc together, and then after installing mobo drivers, along with everything else, it seemed like it was resolved. But then again, I didnt reboot my computer for a couple weeks, after installs and stuff were completed. It sits idle most of the day.

Thanks for the reply!

Edited by wolfmittens - 15 Apr 2017 at 11:57am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic