ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to setup NIC Teaming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to setup NIC Teaming
    Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 10:59am
Originally posted by 7beauties 7beauties wrote:

The network adapter with another's adapter that's equal to it because one of my Intel adapters is 1 Gigabit but the other Intel adapter is 100 Megabit which seems pointless for Teaming.  If I can figure this out I'll choose Load Balancing.    

That is wrong, the i211-AT is on the PCIe 2.1, one lane.  I believe you're looking at the network status, but this Lan is in gigatransfers per second. 

They would not place them together and have teaming on that kind of a match.  Don't worry, if you get teaming up and working,  you won't be able to get all it can handle, your ISP will be the problem with speed. 

Remember, the PCIe 1.1 one lane can in bidirectional bus ,  move 5 Gbps both ways, 2.5 one way.

My ISP has the max of 50 Mbps at 70.00, and I ain't paying no 70. Thumbs Down LOL   20 Mbps works well and can DL win 10 in minutes.  

P.S. Sorry about not telling you about adaptive load B,  it was on another page I was reading but didn't have pic's for you,  somehow i thought he went on to say don't use what he posted use ALB. 

Thanks to Parsec for catching that and making sure you don't have problems. Thanks again Parsec. Handshake  Beer

Edited by odiebugs - 15 Jul 2015 at 11:19am
asrocking
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 1:53am
This is from your board's main manual, page 48:

Both of the network connections on your board are one Gigabit connections. Why one is running at 100 Megabit, I'm not sure. It most likely is in a power saving mode at a lower speed because it is not receiving a signal.

I have the two network connections teamed on my Z87 Extreme6 board, through a switch teamed as Adaptive Load Balancing. Windows Network and Sharing Center shows this:

You can see the speed as 2.0 Gbps.

The reality is our ISPs are not downloading at 1.0 Gbps, they are most likely at 100 Mbps or less. The speed we see above is between the router and PC, not the speed into the router itself.

7beauties View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 7beauties Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 8:07pm
I just have ASRock's Quick Installation Guide and Software Setup Guide and neither has anything about NIC Teaming, so I may be missing the manual as it were; however, on page 18 of the Software Setup Guide there's Onboard LAN 1 and Onboard LAN 2 - enabled or disabled.  Perhaps I should explore whether one or the other, or both, should enabled.  

I may have to figure out how to Team an Intel network adapter with another's adapter that's equal to it because one of my Intel adapters is 1 Gigabit but the other Intel adapter is 100 Megabit which seems pointless for Teaming.  If I can figure this out I'll choose Load Balancing.    

A warm thank you to you all for caring enough to reply. 

RAB
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by 7beauties 7beauties wrote:

I have an ASRock Z87 Extreme 9/AC motherboard which touts its dual Ethernet LAN.  I'm supposed to be able to create a NIC Team that could split internet connectivity in two, like SLI does for GPUs and RAID 0 does for HDD, for faster downloads.  Would someone please help me with this?  I have Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit OS.    

I'm disappointed with ASRock's customer service as their response to me seemed to say that I was on my own in this matter.  This will effect how I choose a new motherboard in the near future.  Thank you.   

Teaming is simple to set up, as the example in the link above provided by odiebugs demonstrates. Don't select the type of team used in the example, that does not apply to your use situation.

Teaming will work fine with Win 8.1. You will need the Intel network driver installed, the Lan driver ver:18.5.54.0 from your board's download page:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%20Extreme9ac/?cat=Download&os=Win8a64

You will need a network cable connected to both of the RJ45 network inputs on your board. The two cables are either connected directly to your router, or to a simple network switch that is connected to your router.

As shown in the example, you open the Properties of one of the network chips on your board in Device Manager, and you should find a Teaming tab. Select that and follow the prompts.

For PC use with the Internet, I would suggest Adaptive Load Balancing as the type of team to create. That will allow the two network chips to work together.

As mentioned above, Teaming is described in your board's manual. There is also a FAQ about Teaming among the many FAQ topics available on ASRock's website. I learned how to use teaming simply by following the procedure in the New Team option in the Device Manager Properties for my Intel network adapter.
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 7:07am
I was able to run teaming on win 8.1 with a x79 with broadcom. So give it a try.

Most times  win 7 software, an drivers,  will work on a win 8.1 setup.

There is no software with Intel teaming, it's part of the properties/driver page. 

Your manual has the info about teaming on PAGE 48.  Make sure you read manual about router, if you have one.

Here is a nice step by step guide with pictures. 

asrocking
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 12:38pm
I think the reason tech support was unable to help you is due to the fact that windows 8.1 does not natively support teaming. A quick search on the subject yielded this page. Both Gigabit LAN ports on your board are provided by intel so it should in theory work. The last time I set up teaming it still had to be done via a server OS or linux so I am afraid I am a bit out of date here Embarrassed
7beauties View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7beauties Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 12:26pm
I have an ASRock Z87 Extreme 9/AC motherboard which touts its dual Ethernet LAN.  I'm supposed to be able to create a NIC Team that could split internet connectivity in two, like SLI does for GPUs and RAID 0 does for HDD, for faster downloads.  Would someone please help me with this?  I have Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit OS.    

I'm disappointed with ASRock's customer service as their response to me seemed to say that I was on my own in this matter.  This will effect how I choose a new motherboard in the near future.  Thank you.   

RAB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic