ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using WinPE to update BIOS.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using WinPE to update BIOS.
    Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 3:55am
I am curious if anyone has used Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) to update the BIOS of ASRock AMD MBs.  I have a Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming board with an old BIOS (P1.20) which has no Instant Flash.  To update I must choose Windows or DOS.  WinPE is a more modern and I suspect a safer option.  I use WinPE to install W10 on my machine and it works well.  I would like to hear any comments on this.
Thanks and enjoy, John.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 6:01am
i would advise to use dos (its really not hard to make a bootable usb ,google it)
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
GenesisDoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenesisDoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 6:04am
Same with my Taichi, I updated through Windows and it all went well thankfully. I like how the Windows dos box shows every step of the process though (stages of erasing and writing). Probably best to do a dos bootable usb like datonyb suggested though. Taichi would've been really great with a dual bios.< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">
Taichi X370, Ryzen 1700 @ 4ghz, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Ram, Samsung 960 EVO nvme, Intel 600P nvme, 2TB Seagate HDD, 2TB Hitachi HDD, 1TB Mushkin SSD, GTX 1080
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 8:39am
Thanks datonyb  and GenesisDoes.  I have used DOS to update my BIOS to 2.00 early today.  I am simply suggesting that WinPE would be easier and more modern.  And I have used WinPE for several years and never really used DOS.   I was surprised that DOS recognized my wireless KB.  Using Rufus is very easy, I agree.  I will probably use Instant Flash (now that it is in my BIOS) for future updates since it seems to be the safest from what I learned in my research.
Thanks and enjoy, John.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 8:10pm
the trouble is the more process and tasks running the higher the risk of data corruption
something that just must not happen with a bios flash (or any firmware flash )
it is all good now though i would say the instant flash is the best choice now for you yes
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 2:04am
Thanks, datonyb, and enjoy, John.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic