ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Ram compatibility questions for AM4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Ram compatibility questions for AM4
    Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:52pm

Looking at the ASRock Fatality X370 Gaming K4 for my 1700x and I'm checking the QVL list for the ram
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X370%20Gaming%20K4/index.us.asp#Memory

I found a compatible 2666Mhz kit (crucial BLT2C8G4D26AFTA) but the 3000 Mhz version is just ??5 more (BLT2C8G4D30AETA).

Could I buy the 3000 Mhz version and run it at 2666 guaranteed and possibly 2933 with updates or is there a big chance I will be out of luck and have to run it at 2133 Mhz since it's not on the list?

None of these kits are compatible according to the crucial website.

Then there is a single stick kit from Kingston on the ASRock QVL (HX426C15FB/8) and on their website the kit (8gbx2) HX426C15FBK2/16 is listed as compatible. Is it safe to assume the kit will work?
https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=2&Mfr=ASR&Line=Motherboard&Model=96075

Thanks for your input
GenesisDoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenesisDoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:58pm
If it Samsung B-die, it will very likely run at 2666 and even 3200 as well. If it is Hynix then there are no guarantees it will even run past 2400.< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">
Taichi X370, Ryzen 1700 @ 4ghz, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Ram, Samsung 960 EVO nvme, Intel 600P nvme, 2TB Seagate HDD, 2TB Hitachi HDD, 1TB Mushkin SSD, GTX 1080
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:21am
Originally posted by teril teril wrote:

Looking at the ASRock Fatality X370 Gaming K4 for my 1700x and I'm checking the QVL list for the ram
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X370%20Gaming%20K4/index.us.asp#Memory

I found a compatible 2666Mhz kit (crucial BLT2C8G4D26AFTA) but the 3000 Mhz version is just ??5 more (BLT2C8G4D30AETA).

Could I buy the 3000 Mhz version and run it at 2666 guaranteed and possibly 2933 with updates or is there a big chance I will be out of luck and have to run it at 2133 Mhz since it's not on the list?

None of these kits are compatible according to the crucial website.

Then there is a single stick kit from Kingston on the ASRock QVL (HX426C15FB/8) and on their website the kit (8gbx2) HX426C15FBK2/16 is listed as compatible. Is it safe to assume the kit will work?
https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=2&Mfr=ASR&Line=Motherboard&Model=96075

Thanks for your input

The 3000 Crucial model is most likely not included in the support list because Ryzen does not support a memory speed of 3000. IF the model is otherwise the same, it should work at lower speeds, such as 2933 or 2666.  But given the issues with Ryzen memory compatibility, unless I personally had that memory model running in the same board, etc, no one can 100% guarantee it will work.

Also, the XMP profiles designed for Intel systems, the only ones that use DDR4 memory before Ryzen, won't work with Ryzen in general. Sorry but just a warning, Ryzen memory compatibility is the biggest issue (and about the only one) we are dealing with.

Is the Crucial 2666 kit in your board's QVL list? Memory manufactures have been terrible in updating their compatibility lists. We know of memory that works fine with Ryzen that has zero listings of Ryzen systems in their compatibility lists.

The best I can tell you about the Kingston kits is it seems to simply be the difference between a single and dual DIMM kit, so it should work.
teril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:36am
Is there even Samsung B-die on the QVL for the K4 motherboard?
I found out the Crucial kits seem to be from micron. Best to avoid then?
The 2666 kit is on the ASRock QVL for the K4 motherboard.
The Kingston ones are Hynix, I think I'll go with those ones. I'll wait a few more days (my cpu has been collecting some dust already while waiting for the ram + motherboard choice)

Can we expect a lot of the ram on the QVL list of the X370 Taichi to tickle down to the cheaper motherboards? I've read that the memory controller for ryzen is on the cpu so the motherboard shouldn't influence the choice of ram if we stay under 3200Mhz right?
Just a matter of time when the microcode updates will be pushed to new bioses?
Gerald Kurhl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald Kurhl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 9:29am
I'm running 8GX-D4-3200-MR 4x8GB at 2666 currently.  These are Hynix
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 10:14am
Any memory from Crucial will have Micron memory chips, Micron is the parent company of Crucial. Micron makes memory chips, as does Samsung and Hynix.

All other memory "manufactures" buy the memory chips from someone else. G.SKILL, Corsair, Kingston, Mushkin, Geil, ADATA, Team Group, etc, all buy the memory chips from one source or another.

The general consensus for Ryzen is memory using Samsung B-Die memory chips has the best chance of working and reaching speeds over 2400.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic