ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Memory on k4 x370 stuck in single channel mode

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Memory on k4 x370 stuck in single channel mode
    Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 7:58am
My new Gaming k4 x370 (combined with a Tyzen 1700) has some massive memory Problems.
My Flare x 3200CL14 2*8gb are stuck in single channel mode and in Windows only 8gb are usable. The other 8gb appear as "reserved for Hardware. Both Memory modules are shown in aida without a problem.

Also the Ram only runs at 2400 Mhz. If i change anything like loading the XMP profile or even setting a lower frequency like 2133 Mhz the Pc reboots 3 times and then the settings are returned to 2400Mhz.

I have no idea wtf is going wrong and would be thankful for some input

Edit: Btw the ram modules are in Slots A2 and B2 like the manual says and BIOS version is 2.1

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by berner berner wrote:

My new Gaming k4 x370 (combined with a Tyzen 1700) has some massive memory Problems.
My Flare x 3200CL14 2*8gb are stuck in single channel mode and in Windows only 8gb are usable. The other 8gb appear as "reserved for Hardware. Both Memory modules are shown in aida without a problem.

Also the Ram only runs at 2400 Mhz. If i change anything like loading the XMP profile or even setting a lower frequency like 2133 Mhz the Pc reboots 3 times and then the settings are returned to 2400Mhz.

I have no idea wtf is going wrong and would be thankful for some input

Edit: Btw the ram modules are in Slots A2 and B2 like the manual says and BIOS version is 2.1

It sounds like we are using the same model of memory, the G.SKILL FlareX 3200 16GB kit?

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gfx

I use an ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac board, Ryzen 7 1700X processor. The best I can do currently is 2933, not 3200. The XMP profile does not work, I must set the timings manually, and set the DRAM voltage to 1.35V. This is what I see in Windows with my memory:

It's all recognized and works fine.

I would suggest putting the memory in the slots again to make sure they are seated correctly. Then I would clear the UEFI/BIOS with the board's jumper, and see what happens on all Auto settings. If you use any non-default UEFI settings like RAID, be sure to reset them.

You might have one bad DIMM, I've seen one thread in the forum where a user of the same memory had a problem with it and had to RMA. Have you tried using one DIMM at a time in the board, in either the A2 or B2 slots, to test if both are working fine? That's the easiest way to know if both DIMMs work.

Use the same slot for each test, and if both DIMMs work you can test the other #2 slot. If they fail in the other slot, then the board most likely has a problem with that slot. It's also possible that a bent CPU pin is causing the problem, since the memory controller is part of the CPU. Less likely with an AMD processor's type of pins, but it can happen. Ryzen processor pins are thinner than earlier models.

The stock default speed of the memory is 2400. First lets see if we can find out if you have defective memory, or a defective board before trying to get them running at a higher speed.

What version of Windows are you using?

berner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 3:53pm
I tested the the DIMMs like you suggested and it seems one of them is defective.
The PC doesn't even start with only that odule and gives 0d or 4b as debug code on dr debug thing.

On the good side i can report that the good stick did work with the XMP settings (3200cl14) flawlessly.
Thank you very much for your help

Edited by berner - 23 Apr 2017 at 3:54pm
Johnnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:56am
Having the same problem with my Taichi build. It seems that 1 of my ram sticks is also defective. Amazon is sending my new ram so i will let you know if that fixed the problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic