ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Killer SLI/ac won't boot/post, no video, no beep.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Killer SLI/ac won't boot/post, no video, no beep.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muzek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Killer SLI/ac won't boot/post, no video, no beep.
    Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 1:47pm
So I decided to build a new gaming machine, and I spec'd up what seemed to be a nice build:

Everything finally arrived, and I got it all put together, but so far it's a very expensive glowing paper weight!

The mother board won't boot/post, no video (from either the PCIe card or onboard... and yes, I know the onboard shouldn't work, just stating what I've tried.), no beep, nothing. The only thing it's doing is the red LED is "breathing" (fading in and out).

I'm positive the RAM is seated properly. I'm positive the video card is seated properly. And everything should be plugged in correctly. It all gets power, I can hear things "spinning up".

I've tried removing the CMOS battery several times for 5+ minutes. I've tried moving the reset jumper. I've tried moving the RAM to different slots (both with only 1 and 2 sticks), including trying the default A2/B2 slots.

I don't know the BIOS version as there does not appear to be any sticker indicating the version, and it won't boot into BIOS or OS, so I can't find the version.

Please help me boot my machine!
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 8:00pm
ok list of things to check
no offence if i state something obvious but it wouldnt be a good check list without
check seating of the 24 pin board supply cables
check seating of the 8 pin extra cpu power cable (usually top left on board)
check power to graphics card 6 pin or maybe 8 pin depending on the card
re check and study very carefully the front pin connectors pwr/sw/led etc make sure they are on correct pins
disconnect all hard drives front usb headers etc to have the minimal things connected
reseat the cpu (i usually gently press down on it while engauging catch)
follow the guide to clear cmos in the manual with the jumper (also make sure this jumper isnt actually left on clear cmos pins,this sounds crazy but who knows the board may have been a return sent out to you)
theres the basics
other than that despite having the ryzen branded ram from gskill can you borrow another stick from a friend /pc shop just to test ?

Edited by datonyb - 25 Apr 2017 at 8:02pm
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
muzek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muzek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 6:57am
I finally got it to boot... not really sure what the issue or fix was, as I tried several things. But in case it helps others, here's what I did after what I wrote above:
- I pulled the CMOS battery out overnight
- the next day I went to my office and borrowed a monitor from my desk there (I know my first monitor works fine as I use it all the time, but it's about 8 years old, and I wanted to make sure I gave this every chance to work)
- I then put the reset jumper on the reset position (pins 2 & 3)
- I put the CMOS battery back in
- I turned on the power supply (but not the computer itself), and let the "breathing" light come on
- I left it like this for a few minutes (mostly was distracted by something else)
- I then started up my computer, and at first was very bummed as it again didn't do anything but spin up fans & drives
- I then realized I forgot to move the reset jumper back to the default position (pins 1 & 2), so turned everything off and I did that
- I then tried one more attempt at turning it on, and at first I thought it wasn't going to do anything cause the monitor was still blank... but after about 30-45 seconds the monitor sprang to life and I was able to get into the BIOS and everything

So in the end I'm up and running... after much frustration and "hair pulling"... but hey, it's working!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 10:20am
I'm glad you got it working. Doing the UEFI/CMOS reset may have made the difference, particularly if you changed hardware or moved your memory or tried different memory.

Currently, Ryzen systems have a long POST time, and Windows does not start booting until POST is complete. Cold starts after clearing the UEFI/BIOS even take longer, so give it a chance to get going when you do that.

You may even get a start-stop cycling of the board after changing memory settings in the UEFI. That is the AMD Advanced Boot Training feature attempting to perform "memory training". Don't be alarmed if that happens, it is actually normal for Ryzen.

ASRock has some AM4 Tech Tips you can find here: http://www.asrock.com/microsite/AM4TSD/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic