ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Asrock Killer SLI A/C No Post [Solved]

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Asrock Killer SLI A/C No Post [Solved]
    Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 1:42am
Greetings,

So I'm fairly clueless as to what could be going wrong with my new build since this is my very first desktop that I have ever owned. All other devices have been laptops.

I purchased the X370 SLI AC to compliment my new build Ryzen 1700X build.

After assembling everything and powering on the computer it wouldn't post. The mobo lighting started off with a blue color and then switched to, and remained at, a pulsing red color. Is this the typical start up lighting scheme??

All fans on the build spin once and then shut off. This includes the 3 chassis fans, the CPU cooler fan, and the fans on the GPU.

I double checked all of the connections by removing them and reinserting them, swapped the positioning of the RAM modules, tried both modules in A2, reseated the PSU power cables, etc. My case came with standoffs and they were all seated correctly. I also removed the CMOS battery overnight and then cleared the CMOS again using the jumpers in the (2,3) position and afterwards returning them to the (1,2) position.

I took the system to a computer repair store so that they can test the components to see if I need to do an RMA. With their PSU it also started out with Blue lighting and then switched to a pulsing red so I am pretty sure it isn't the PSU.

Edit: Now that I think about it they didn't use their PSU... It was my PSU they tried to start it up with.

Unfortunately, I have to travel next week so if they can't get to my computer soon I might get stuck with eating the cost of a bad part (if there is one) so I thought I would check here to see if my newness to system building might be overlooking something that is super obvious to veterans.

I'm fairly certain the mobo shipped with the default Bios as it had a sticker that had 1.30 (or 1.03 can't recall exactly) placed on it.

Build specs:

Motherboard: X370 Killer SLI A/C ATX AM4
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700X
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW2 Gaming ICX
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
PSU: Seasonic Snow Silent 750W 80+Platinum
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid Tower Case

Thank you in advance!

Edited by AlbinoRhino - 01 May 2017 at 7:51am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 3:02am
i would first try using a different ram stick (eg local repair store to try a different ram brand/speed
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
AlbinoRhino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 3:25am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

i would first try using a different ram stick (eg local repair store to try a different ram brand/speed

They pulled a stick off of the shelf which was much lower in MTs and it showed the same symptoms.

They are supposed to be pulling it all apart and installing everything again, but I'm running out of time. I'll be gone for two weeks so that will put me outside of Neweggs return policy. I'm considering jumping on ther extended warranties just in case which would be $30 which would cover the mobo and the CPU. The GPU I got from Amazon and haven't checked the warranty on it (should it be a bad GPU).
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 3:55am
I'd call the repair shop and see if they can take the time to do as daytonb suggests. Take ten or 15mins of their time and swap some memory in it. I have a Sticky under AMD Motherboards here that may be of help to them
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4565&title=am4-ryzen-specific-memory-and-tips

Ryzen is merciless concerning memory.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 6:39am
They tried a stick of 2133MTs ram while I was standing there. I looked through their ram inventory and it was the only ddr4 ram that they had.

Thanks!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 11:25am
Originally posted by AlbinoRhino AlbinoRhino wrote:

They tried a stick of 2133MTs ram while I was standing there. I looked through their ram inventory and it was the only ddr4 ram that they had.

Thanks!

That "Thanks!"?

Is it running now then?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 7:10pm
Not that I know of. They haven't touched the build yet. I think they are doing it today.

When I originally dropped it off they tried different ram immediately is what I meant.

Is there a way for them to update the Bios without it posting?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 7:58pm

Not that I know of. They haven't touched the build yet. I think they are doing it today.

When I originally dropped it off they tried different ram immediately is what I meant.

well hopefully they can find out whats is preventing it from booting for you
the top choice with new ryzen systems seems to be ram issues
but maybe its something silly like an incorrect jumper or connection
(it can be frustrating to have a system that wont even post and takes time to diagnose)
alas you wont be able to flash bios on this board until it can post
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 5:01am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

[URL=][/URL]Not that I know of. They haven't touched the build yet. I think they are doing it today.

well hopefully they can find out whats is preventing it from booting for you
the top choice with new ryzen systems seems to be ram issues
but maybe its something silly like an incorrect jumper or connection
(it can be frustrating to have a system that wont even post and takes time to diagnose)
alas you wont be able to flash bios on this board until it can post

So a week later and they finally got around to testing the system.

The problem is the PSU. I've sent in the repair ticket with Amazon and they are shipping out a new PSU. When I get back from my business travels in a couple of weeks I will try the PSU again and if I receive another one that is DOA I will switch manufacturers.

The great news is that it was able to POST using the original Corsair LED 3200MTs RAM that I purchased before I was aware of a QVL. It is not a listed RAM.

Once I return home I need to figure out how to update a BIOS (I've never done it before), the correct position of the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv's RESET plug on the Mobo, and their crazy fan hub.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic