ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350M Pro4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350M Pro4
    Posted: 06 May 2017 at 12:27am
Didn't see a thread for this board, so might as well make one :)

Just got the board a couple of days ago so have only done a little testing, but a couple of problems I have found so far:

-Vdroop/loadline calibration, I can't find any setting for this in the bios. The vcore drops quite badly, I set 1.375v and it idles at 1.41v and drops down to 1.32v under load. This makes overclocking a little dangerous I think, as I whould have to use 1.45v+ to get 1.35v load..

-Sometimes I cant use the keyboard to navigate in the bios when the mouse is connected. It happen just at random it seems.

Does the bios developers get info from here, or can I contact them directly somewhere?

Will update as I find more issues.

Edited by TAMW - 06 May 2017 at 12:43am
asroc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 2:20pm
What cpu are you using and what sort of temps are you getting for the VRMs at stock/oc?

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 2:41pm
It would be helpful if you could post your full system specs. A 65w CPU will have very different voltage needs than a 95w one for example.
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 2:26am
Originally posted by asroc asroc wrote:

What cpu are you using and what sort of temps are you getting for the VRMs at stock/oc?

I haven't measured the temp on the vrm sink yet, but its only moderatly hot to the touch, I have a fan blowing on it. Any software available that actually reads the real vrm temp under the sink?

Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

It would be helpful if you could post your full system specs.

Sorry for being retarded once again, I need to start posting this stuff when I'm actually awake :P

R7 1700 (tried both 1707sut and 1709pgt steppings)
AB350M Pro4 (obviously)
CM v1000 psu
Gtx 1060 6gb
G.skill F4-2800C15Q-32GRBB (only using 2 out of 4 sticks, borrowing from a friend)
Xonar STX pcie soundcard
250gb 850pro + 500gb 850 evo SSD's

Used the sticks in a1/b1 channels @ 2400mhz max stable, but switched to a2/b2 as you guys reccommended, no difference tho. Tried up to 1.35v DRAM, 1.25v VDDP, 1.85v "1.8v" and timings to 16-16-16-35.

The 1707sut belongs to a friend and had it running 3.8ghz 1.3v, I just borrowed it until mine came (1709pgt). When I got mine I switched the ramslots aswell.
I don't know if its the cpu thats not stable on the same oc settings or the ram in the different slots, but I got a crash when gaming on the new cpu.. I will have to do some testing later on, I just got so sick of all the BS with the amd rig I swithced back to the old Nehalem rig for now :P

I'll try again after a couple bios updates, hopefully LLC and Soc options have been added by then aswell.

Edited by TAMW - 18 May 2017 at 2:28am
Spawne32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spawne32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 2:34am
I get the feeling the more I play with the voltage that the LLC is built in and not adjustable. I am running at 3.7ghz with the vcore set to 1.2875 and I see well over 1.3v in HWinfo64. That being said, yes the vdroop is pathetic on this board, it is a 3+3 phase board doubled up on each phase and while it has a high overall power capability, it is hardly efficient. The 8 core 16 thread ryzen 7's probably experience worse vdroop than the ryzen 5 6 coore counterparts because of the increase in power draw. 

As far as the memory goes, until the next agesa update to the bios, you wont be booting any higher than 2666.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 4:09am
Thanks for the extra info.

I have the X370 Gaming K4 but no CPU as yet so I am not going to be much help with the B350 even when I can get my hands on a CPU. I do think however that the focus right now is on RAM compatibility and speed rather than overclocking on the B350 boards. The X370 boards will get a bit more love where it comes to overclocking at the start but I am pretty sure tweaks and improvements will filter down to the B350s too once RAM speeds are sorted. 

I have seen a fair few people pushing the RAM up to 1.45v and 1.5v. I personally wouldn't go as far as 1.5 but 1.4, possibly 1.45 shouldn't be a concern. If you have only gone up to 1.35v, most faster DDR4 is rated at 1.35 anyway, then you can try push a bit more voltage and see if that gets you up to 2933 or 3200. As far as I am aware, even 1.5v is considered "safe" by most RAM manufacturers. As I said though, I would stick to 1.4, max 1.45v personally but I do tend to be cautious. 
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 8:19am
I don't know how you could have helped even if you had the board, the problem is mostly the lacking bios.. 1.4v is the max for DRAM on this board btw, and no timings other than main.

I was thinking the same as you tho, they probably will focus on sorting out ram problems first, then maybe we get some better oc ability later on :) As I mentioned, I've put this rig on ice until more bios updates becomes available.. I'll buy a 3200mhz kit of amd optimized ram later on too if we get options for maxing out the cpu Big smile

Right now I'm having some fun with a Rampage 3 Extreme and a i7 950, have a Xeon e5649 on the way as well, so I'm not really in a hurry for those bios updates.. LOL Its amazing the power still in socket 1366, and so much fun tweaking the max OC out of everything with open bclk and multipliers for ram, cpu, uncore, qpi and all that Thumbs Up
asroc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 8:52am
Originally posted by TAMW TAMW wrote:

Originally posted by asroc asroc wrote:

I haven't measured the temp on the vrm sink yet, but its only moderatly hot to the touch, I have a fan blowing on it. Any software available that actually reads the real vrm temp under the sink?

Just common utilities like Hwinfo, Hwmonitor, AIDA64.
But the vrm temps may not labelled properly (tmpin*, tmpin3, cpuin*) and you'll have to figure it out. The temps will be around 60C-100C at load.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic