ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Killer SLI/ac

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vantharas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Killer SLI/ac
    Posted: 13 May 2017 at 11:36am
I downloaded the latest version of the bios, put it on a 32gb USB3.0 Flash drive thats formatted in fat32. and when I go into the bios and tell it to update. It says it cannot find the file. I've unzipped it in the root , and in a folder. And the motherboard simply refuses to find the bios on the flash drive thats plugged into the back.

Why is this happening, is a USB3.0 drive not compatable with updating the bios from the bios ? My Older Gigabyte boards never had issues like this. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 11:41am
Try these common solves......

1. Rear I/O panel USB 2.0 port

2. Change the size of the thumb drive(quite common)

Please post back your results.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 12:53pm
Flash drives larger than 16GB won't work with Instant Flash for some reason.

A USB 3.0 flash drive will work fine, that is not a problem.

There are no USB 2.0 ports on the IO panel as you know, you can use a USB 3.0 port on the IO panel.
soleil14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soleil14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 9:14am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

There are no USB 2.0 ports on the IO panel as you know, you can use a USB 3.0 port on the IO panel.

I always flash bios with my 32GB 3.0 USB Scandisk drive. It works fine.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 9:53am
Originally posted by soleil14 soleil14 wrote:

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I always flash bios with my 32GB 3.0 USB Scandisk drive. It works fine.

And we've seen problems with other boards when using USB flash drives larger than 16GB with Instant Flash. Or at least that is what we've been told by various users over the years. I've seen it myself with some older ASRock boards.

We've also seen USB flash drives used with ISO files as Windows installation media, that did not work with flash drives larger than 16GB.

Very difficult to diagnose a problem like this when all we have to work with is, "Instant Flash can't see the BIOS file on the USB flash drive". So we go with what we know has worked in the past.

As wardog mentioned, on the older boards you had to use the USB 2.0 ports with Instant Flash, for example.

I just tried a 32GB USB flash drive, and it did see the UEFI file fine in Instant Flash, on the same X370 Killer SLI/ac board. That's great, but not universal.
Vantharas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vantharas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 8:30am
So I've tried both my 4gb USB stick, and my 32 , on every single USB port on the back of this board, and it continues to tell me it cannot find a bios for my board. 

Is this just a bad case of quality control here? I would like to update the bios because AMD is releasing new code to vendors.

Edited by Vantharas - 17 May 2017 at 8:34am
Vantharas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vantharas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:22am
Alright I gave up , flashed it using a bootable USB, worked fine. The odd thing is, it would detect my bootable USB as a boot option but wouldn't find the bios rom , Beats the living heck out of me as to why. Two different flash drivers... every usb slot. such a waste of my time. Now onwards to get this board to boot with memory @ 3200 instead of 29XX 

Edited by Vantharas - 17 May 2017 at 9:24am
Corsair AX860, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB , Asrock X370 Killer SLI/ac , Ryzen 5 1600X, 16GB DDR 4 3200
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:39am
Glad that finally worked for you. I've never had issues with flash drives like that with this board, or any other ASRock board. Used them as formatted right out of the package. Or cleaned and formatted with diskpart.

Reaching 3200 on any Ryzen board depends upon the memory, and as someone put it about Ryzen memory compatibility, it's a "crap shoot". I agree.

What memory model are you using? I'm using G.SKILL FlareX and can't get it past 2966 at this point. Looking forward to more AGESA updates from AMD to improve memory compatibility.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic