ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to permanently UEFI/Bios disable Intel adapter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to permanently UEFI/Bios disable Intel adapter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to permanently UEFI/Bios disable Intel adapter
    Posted: 14 May 2017 at 12:28am
Anyone know how to do this? I wish to permanently disable the Intel 1gb/s adapter as well as the Wi-Fi.

For some reason the Aquantia 5gb's adapter (the one I prefer to use constantly) 'glitches' and I have to go through the steps to get it working again. I am merely troubleshooting conflict issues and wanted to eliminate the Intel adapters from the equation.

I found an area in the UEFI/Bios to disable the Wireless adapter(,or so I thought). However it continues to show up in Windows 10 nonetheless - persistent little thing isn't it!.

I have Disabled/Uninstalled the Intel adapters in the MMC/Device Manager in Windows 10 however... yep... they magically 're-appear'.

Any thoughts? Appreciate any assistance, thanks.

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 3:36am
Kevin A, I also wanted to disable the Intel Wireless and BlueTooth via the BIOS and it is not possible.  I asked ASRock support and was told there was no way to do this.  I think the Intel NIC is the same.  I doubt the Aquantia problem has anything to do with the Intel chips.  We all have problems with it and are hoping for a new driver from Aquanti.  I have pestered the heck out of them (till they quick responding!) and they have no public portal for drivers.  They said one was coming in a few weeks, whatever that means.  Here is the URL for the Aquantia thread:

forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4583&title=fatal1ty-pro-gaming-x370-issue-with-aquantia-5g

I cannot get the link to work with BBcodes, so please copy and paste it into your browser.
Enjoy, John.
Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 4:32am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

Kevin A, I also wanted to disable the Intel Wireless and BlueTooth via the BIOS and it is not possible.? I asked ASRock support and was told there was no way to do this.? I think the Intel NIC is the same.? I doubt the Aquantia problem has anything to do with the Intel chips.? We all have problems with it and are hoping for a new driver from Aquanti.? I have pestered the heck out of them (till they quick responding!) and they have no public portal for drivers.? They said one was coming in a few weeks, whatever that means.? Here is the URL for the Aquantia thread:

forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4583&title=fatal1ty-pro-gaming-x370-issue-with-aquantia-5g

I cannot get the link to work with BBcodes, so please copy and paste it into your browser.
Enjoy, John.

Greatly appreciate the update/knowledge...

I went thru the UEFI/Bios so many times my eyes started to cross. I suspected there wasn't a way but now I know someone else has been pursuing the issue. Thanks again.

A few times the Aquantia 5gig port glitches and cannot resolve an ip address. So my routine is: I uninstall it via MMC/Device manager w/option to 'delete' driver checked. Then I run the Aquantia msi(installer) file and 'remove' the driver. Then I reboot and re-install... it begins to work again.

I will await a new driver and 'troubleshoot' no further!

Edited by Kevin A - 14 May 2017 at 4:35am
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 5:10am
What router do you have? Is it a 5G router?
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 5:49am
Kevin A, I assume a Restart will not do the trick.  If so, please try these Net Shell commands in an Administrator Command Prompt:
netsh int ip reset
netsh int ipv6 reset

You will still need to Restart but it should be faster and easier than what you are doing.  You can skip the IPv6 command if you are not using v6.  I get one "Access denied" from each command but many OKs.  I just quit using the Aquantia NIC, but I do not have a router for greater than 1 Gbps.
I am always happy to help when I can.  Enjoy, John.
Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 7:27am
Again thanks, I'll give the admin prompt commands a try next time my Aquantia acts up. I have my eye on a workgroup 10GbE switch I plan on buying over the summer, and the Fatality X370 Professional Gaming was the only X370 Mobo that fit my plans.

Until then I'll keep using it.

Now it's time to get back to some P-State configurations to see if I can get 4.1Ghz+ stable
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 9:01am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

Kevin A, I also wanted to disable the Intel Wireless and BlueTooth via the BIOS and it is not possible.  I asked ASRock support and was told there was no way to do this.  I think the Intel NIC is the same.  I doubt the Aquantia problem has anything to do with the Intel chips.  We all have problems with it and are hoping for a new driver from Aquanti.  I have pestered the heck out of them (till they quick responding!) and they have no public portal for drivers.  They said one was coming in a few weeks, whatever that means.  Here is the URL for the Aquantia thread:

Enjoy, John.

I can tell you that both my ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ and X99 Extreme6/3.1 boards have options in their UEFIs for disabling the network chips.

Both of these boards have dual network chips, two Intel chips in the Z170, and one Intel and one Atheros in the X99. The options are in the Chipset Configuration screens in the UEFI of both boards. Yes, there's an option to enable/disable both of the chips.

I could go on, and describe how the NIC chip and WiFi module in my DeskMini 110W PC has options in the Chipset Configuration screen to enable or disable both of them.

Why can't it be done in either of your boards? First of course the option to do that does not exist in your board's UEFIs. If there is a reason why a Ryzen board cannot have the option(s) in its UEFI, I don't know. All three of the boards I mentioned above use Intel chipsets, each a different model, that may allow the switching of the NIC chips. If the switching of the chips is done another way, I don't know.

So while it is currently not possible to disable the NIC chips in your boards, whether or not it is impossible to do it remains a mystery. Meaning if adding an option to do so in the UEFI is technically possible. Simply because it is possible with some hardware does not automatically mean it is possible with all hardware.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 10:13am
New Aquantia drivers that Users say remedy much concerning it:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5205&PID=29754&title=x370-pro-gaming-aquantia-lan-issue#29754

Originally posted by SoniC SoniC wrote:

P.S. ASRock support replied me this today:

please update to latest Aquantia LAN driver 1.40.42.0 from:

http://www.aquantia.com/driver-download/

choose part Number: AQN-108 and Platform: Windows 

And afterwards the install procedure... 
Nice for the Support to catch up to the latest driver versions too...
Anyway - it basically confirms what I am testing / feeling since 18 Hours+ on Aquantia now = with 1.40.42.0 drivers it actually works... 
And it works kinda better than intel I211 (might be a placebo though).

Ivan_83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 2:34am
Try to set fixed 1Gb port speed instead auto in Aquantia nic settings.
My guess that Aquantia try to auto negotiate 5Gb speed, but fail.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic