ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need memory known compatible with 1.60 BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WrenchMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need memory known compatible with 1.60 BIOS
    Posted: 16 May 2017 at 8:59pm
I am hoping that you guys can help with what I suspect to be a memory incompatibility. Following a defective Gigabyte motherboard refusing to show a video signal, or any kind of beep code, I decided to try an Asrock - now I have a series of error codes from Dr  Debug that seem to point to memory but I cannot be sure. The memory is not on the QVL (it was for the former Gigabyte MB) but others have got it to POST, so I suspect the BIOS version might be at fault.

The board has been stripped down to CPU (Ryzen 7 1700), fan, and memory. I have several video cards available, but the errors persist irrespective of their presence.

CPU Ryzen 7 1700
MB Fata1ty x370 Gaming K4
Mem Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C16
PSU Corsair CX600M (known operational)

With no memory, the debug code is 46
With memory (1, 2 sticks, different positions) it cycles 3E 14 15 C0 Ad

System will spin up fans on the GPU and stop, then it gets stuck on Ad, then it will power down and then repeat the sequence. I have left it doing this for 10 minutes or so incase it is testing memory timing configs, but to no avail. Sequence does the same thing if the GPU is removed.

Anyone got any ideas?

If not, what memory is *Known* compatible with this board and the 1.60 BIOS? While cost is not a factor, I am not looking to OC so anything from 2133 upward will be suitable.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by WrenchMonkey WrenchMonkey wrote:

I am hoping that you guys can help with what I suspect to be a memory incompatibility. Following a defective Gigabyte motherboard refusing to show a video signal, or any kind of beep code, I decided to try an Asrock - now I have a series of error codes from Dr  Debug that seem to point to memory but I cannot be sure. The memory is not on the QVL (it was for the former Gigabyte MB) but others have got it to POST, so I suspect the BIOS version might be at fault.

The board has been stripped down to CPU (Ryzen 7 1700), fan, and memory. I have several video cards available, but the errors persist irrespective of their presence.

CPU Ryzen 7 1700
MB Fata1ty x370 Gaming K4
Mem Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C16
PSU Corsair CX600M (known operational)

With no memory, the debug code is 46
With memory (1, 2 sticks, different positions) it cycles 3E 14 15 C0 Ad

System will spin up fans on the GPU and stop, then it gets stuck on Ad, then it will power down and then repeat the sequence. I have left it doing this for 10 minutes or so incase it is testing memory timing configs, but to no avail. Sequence does the same thing if the GPU is removed.

Anyone got any ideas?

If not, what memory is *Known* compatible with this board and the 1.60 BIOS? While cost is not a factor, I am not looking to OC so anything from 2133 upward will be suitable.

The only POST code that indicates a problem is the last one shown on the Dr Debug display. The Dr Debug display simply shows the POST codes as the POST process proceeds, only when a POST procedure fails POST then stops and the code of the failed procedure remains on the display. Occasionally when POST completes the last POST code will remain on the display for a while, but that is not a problem.

Your board will not complete POST without memory installed, so that is not a valid test.

According to your post, the last code shown in Ad, correct?  Ax POST codes are related to SATA devices, and not memory. Why do you think this is a memory issue?

Are you still getting nothing on your monitor at all?

The Memory QVL list for your board has memory that should work with any UEFI/BIOS version:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X370%20Gaming%20K4/index.asp#Memory

You should be using the A2 and B2 slots for your memory. Have you tried using just one DIMM in one slot?

Have you tried clearing the UEFI/CMOS with the jumper on the board? You should be doing that every time you change hardware in the board.

This is the memory I use with my ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac board, designed to work with Ryzen according to G.SKILL:

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gfx

You could use a lower speed version if you don't want to spend the money, as DDR4 prices are terrible now.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

....DDR4 prices are terrible now.

No kidding. I'm waiting for it to drop to buy a couple three more kits.
WrenchMonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WrenchMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:13am
Thanks for your reply. I was not trying to get the board to POST with no memory, just try and see what affected the error codes :)

I have done the CMOS clear thing, no changes.

Without memory the board shows 46, but when memory is installed, with only the CPU present it settles on Ad - but there are no SATA devices present... so that might mean that the memory is valid but I have yet another broken board.

It does the same thing (Ad code) with or without a R9 270x on HDMI; I will try DVI as HDMI can be fickle, and try adding a SATA HDD known to work...

OK - been there, done that, same behaviour. No video output of any kind on two different display devices. Tried 2x HDD, 1x SSD on various SATA ports.

Must be a borked board... again. I cannot find a reference to code Ad except on a list for sandy bridge systems where it means "Ready to boot event". Asrock doesnt even list this code.

I will try getting some memory listed for Ryzen which is on the QVL as I have found one reference to the Ad code being solved with a memory change - if not then it is an Intel board (unfortunately..)

Thanks for your help.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:20am
For kicks .........

Attach a bootable HDD/SSD and reply back what happens
WrenchMonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WrenchMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:27am
Sorry, probably should have mentioned that the SSD I attached was bootable with windows 10 (known operational, samsung 850 EVO 500G). Same result.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic