ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Concerns About Asrock z270 Supercarrier

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MALLEKMIROX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Concerns About Asrock z270 Supercarrier
    Posted: 19 May 2017 at 5:16pm
Hi there I  want to buy the Asrock z270 Supercarrier and put in it i7-7700k and 4 GTX 1080ti no need for SLI because it's for 3D rendering each GPU work on its own, I am worried about how can the motherboard support 4 GPU if the i7-i7700 only have 16 PIC-E  lanes ? does it bottleneck? if all the lanes are full what about SSDs? USBs ? M.2 ? 
BTW the program I use is blender 3D cycles GPU rendering.
thank you Smile
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by MALLEKMIROX MALLEKMIROX wrote:

Hi there I  want to buy the Asrock z270 Supercarrier and put in it i7-7700k and 4 GTX 1080ti no need for SLI because it's for 3D rendering each GPU work on its own, I am worried about how can the motherboard support 4 GPU if the i7-i7700 only have 16 PIC-E  lanes ? does it bottleneck? if all the lanes are full what about SSDs? USBs ? M.2 ? 
BTW the program I use is blender 3D cycles GPU rendering.
thank you Smile

All Intel Kaby Lake processors like an i7-7700K only have 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes. The Z270 SuperCarrier uses a PLX PEX 8747 chip to multiplex (switch) the 16 PCIe lanes between the four PCIe slots, and at best operates the four PCIe 3.0 x16 slots at x8. You would know better than I if that would bottleneck 3D rendering.

The SATA, M.2, and USB interfaces only use the resources from the Z270 chipset, and do not use the PCIe lanes from the CPU at all. The Z270 chipset now has DMI3 support, which is equal to PCIe 3.0.

If you need all four video cards to have unswitched PCIe lane support, you should consider an Intel X99 board and a HEDT processor that has 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes. Also, the new Intel X299 boards will be released this year, with new HEDT processors. One of these systems will cost a lot more than a Z270 board and CPU, but if you need to do 3D rendering at a high level, you should get the appropriate system.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic