ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen build won't post, possibly bad mobo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Llama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryzen build won't post, possibly bad mobo
    Posted: 27 May 2017 at 7:01am
So I was trying to get a build to post and came to the conclusion that my motherboard is defective. Before I RMA, I want to be absolutely sure that's the case. I'll try to explain in detail what happened. Keep in mind that this is my first build but I did do as much research as I could to ensure compatibility and learn the steps to actually put the system together. Part list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/_Llama_/saved/fDyP6h

First, I took out the psu, connected it to the wall, and tested it using the provided self-tester. I flipped the switch from O to I and the fan spun, which means it works, at least according to the manual. I then sorted out the cables I needed: 1 x 24pin mobo connector, 1 x cpu power connector (4+4), 2 x sata power cables, 2 x 6+2 pin vga connectors (gpu has both 6 pin and 8 pin ports). I decided to build out on the mobo box like most people recommended. I was doing a barebones test before plugging in fans and storage.

Next, I pulled out the mobo, set aside the other stuff, removed the packaging, and placed it on the flat side of the box (the box has a top with grooves since it needs them to close but it isn't level, so I decided not to risk bending pins and put it on the completely flat side). Then I took out the cpu and installed it perfectly on to the mobo using multiple videos and the manual for reference. It was snug and lined up with the triangle on the mobo. Closed the handle thing all the way, then unscrewed the brackets on the sides to make way for the cooler and installed the cooler using the manual for reference. Now I will admit, the first time I installed it I placed it on the wrong side to where the AMD logo was over the ram sockets so I had to unscrew it and flip it over (without reapplying thermal paste since the cpu didn't come with extra, just pre-applied. I'm not sure if it's absolutely necessary to reapply considering it had been placed, uninstalled and reinstalled within a window of 5 minutes and I was just trying to get it to post, not stress test. I did notice just a small amount overflowing from the cpu after reinstalling, but not enough to touch any of the pins or board, just slightly hanging off the side of the heatsink. I plugged the fan into the appropriate connectors (CPU FAN1, AMD FAN LED1 with the arrow on the rubber molex-looking connector that came with the cooler placed on the 12V pin.

Then I took out the ram, placed both sticks on the A2 and B2 slots (it was the only configuration on the manual that allowed 2 DIMMS). Insertion was much more forceful than I had anticipated, even while watching videos, and yes, I made sure I was installing them on the right keyed side. It slightly bent the mobo during installation and the pins left small dents on the cardboard mobo box, so I was a bit worried, but the mobo went back to being straight afterwards.

I connected the 24pin to the psu and mobo (it would only fit one way), 4+4 to mobo cpu power and the 8pin end of it to "CPU1" on psu.

Then, moment of truth, I turned on the psu switch, and nothing, no fan spin, just an aqua color followed by blue pulsing lights, no red dr. debug light. It took me a while to figure out that I actually had to turn on my pc for it to do anything (duh, thanks buildapc discord!). I tried to bridge the power connector with a screwdriver like all the cool kids but that didn't work so I whipped out my s340 elite and connected the power button to the headers (following the exact method described in the manual). Note that whenever I swapped or reconnected/did anything I would power off the psu.

Then, I turned on the psu, waited for the solid aqua light to flash blue and pressed the power button. Success! (I thought). It was going through a billion codes on the debug light until I got error 06 (looked like P0 from my view) and turns out I needed to plug in my gpu. For some reason the physical manual doesn't mention dr debug at all except the online manual, pointed out by a helpful user in the chat.

GPU was easy enough to install, given how heavy it was, made sure it was straight and clipped in. I plugged a dp cable from my monitor to the lowest port on the gpu (I'm assuming any port will work). Forgot to mention that during the entire process, I made sure to ground myself by touching the psu (it only had the power cable on it). I went with 6+2 to gpu and another 6 with the +2 split off (has 2 ports, 6 and 8). The 8pin port went to vga1 and then 6pin port was connected to vga2, but the 6 pin part was connected to the gpu while the 8pin part was on the psu Basically apart from then large 24pin connector, all power cables that were split in some way went to the mobo.

I turned it on again, and it did the same thing EXCEPT it now stalled on error code "A6" which initially looked like "Ab" until I realized it was a 6. This is where I was stuck on, because when I went to the dr debug faq list error codes A0-A7 had to do with sata/ide devices yet I had NO SATA OR ANYTHING connected other than the cpu, cooler, ram, and gpu, and the power button. I did google search for forums with this issue but they were for other boards and there were only 2 posts that has this problem with my specific mobo, and of course, one guy could get into the bios (I couldn't, not even a display signal) while the other remained unsolved. I did try swapping the ram (1 stick, etc.) When I ran no ram, it gave me code 46 which meant it DID detect the ram. So then what? I checked for any debris or screws but the board was clean. I even reset the cmos multiple times, going as far as to remove the battery (popped off easily thankfully) but could not figure out the issue. Someone suggested it was the mobo but I sincerely doubted it, but after trying so many times I gave up (reseating all those cables killed my fingers) and removed everything off the mobo. I did a final check to see if anything was obviously busted but nope, even the pins below looked straight, despite the small dents on the box. So now I'm most likely going to rma it unless someone can help figure out what the problem is.

Thank in advance for taking the time to look at this post.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 8:08am
I just disconnected all the drives from a different ASRock mother board, in a PC that I know was otherwise working fine. It happens to be an Intel chipset/CPU board, and I am using the Intel integrated graphics.

I started it up and the last Dr Debug or POST code shown and remaining on the display (it only matters if it remains on the display) was A6. I also had the UEFI/BIOS UI displayed on my monitor, the only difference between your result and mine.

You'll notice if you keep your ASRock board that when using or "in" the UEFI/BIOS, the last POST code will remain on the Dr Debug display. Also in both of our situations there was no boot device found, and normally that will put you automatically into the UEFI/BIOS. The SATA/IDE POST tests are done in the very last part of the POST process, so everything else passed POST fine. The A6 code display in normal in this situation, so something else is wrong.

The question now is, why no signal to your monitor? Since you are using a video card, that leads me to think it is not a mother board problem, since POST would never have gotten that far if the board had a problem with the PCIE slots, or if POST did not detect a video card.

Is your monitor configured to auto select the active input signal? Some are not by default, and some don't auto select well. Did you try manually setting your monitor's input to the DisplayPort input?

If that is not the issue, then I would focus on the video card. Was it locked into place with the locking latch on the PCIE slot? Some PC cases don't have the screw holes in the PCIE slot area aligned well with the opening in the PCIE bracket on the video card for the connection screws. That means the video card can be moved out of the PCIE slot slightly when the retaining screws are tightened.

Also try another type of connection to the monitor with another cable, or another DP output.
_Llama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Llama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 9:09am
I made sure to select the displayport as the input on my monitor. There are only 2 options: HDMI and DP. The monitor was plugged in to the bottom port, but I tried others too. Same issue, no signal. I haven't tried hdmi though. I'll try again once I get some thermal paste. The gpu looked seated (clipped on, evenly placed). But if this is normal then I guess I'll give it another shot before the return period expires.

Edit: This was all done outside on the mobo box.

Edited by _Llama - 27 May 2017 at 9:11am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 9:20am
Originally posted by _Llama _Llama wrote:

GPU was easy enough to install, given how heavy it was, made sure it was straight and clipped in. I plugged a dp cable from my monitor to the lowest port on the gpu (I'm assuming any port will work). Forgot to mention that during the entire process, I made sure to ground myself by touching the psu (it only had the power cable on it). I went with 6+2 to gpu and another 6 with the +2 split off (has 2 ports, 6 and 8). The 8pin port went to vga1 and then 6pin port was connected to vga2, but the 6 pin part was connected to the gpu while the 8pin part was on the psu

This confuses me. Confused

Do you have connected to the 1080 both a 6-pin PCIE cable and an 8-pin PCIE cable?
_Llama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Llama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 9:27am
Yes, since there were 2 ports on the gpu like on the strix versions, a 6pin port and an 8pin, I had to use 2 6+2 cables labeled vga to connect it.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 10:11am
Any indication the video card is working? Fans spinning or any LEDs on it lighting up?

Some newer Nvidia based video cards don't run their fans until a certain temperature is reached, EVGA does that. Not sure about MSI.

I assume you have no other video card to test with?

DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor?

I was also confused by the power cable connection description, but as long as you are using the 6 + 2 pin cables for the video card, they are correct. The 4/8 pin CPU power cable has the +12V and ground connections swapped compared to video card cables.
_Llama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Llama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 10:32am
The led's on the card turn on and stay on when posting, and the fans spin until just before the error A6. I'm using the dp that came with the monitor since that's the only one I own.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 10:53am
Originally posted by _Llama _Llama wrote:

The led's on the card turn on and stay on when posting, and the fans spin until just before the error A6. I'm using the dp that came with the monitor since that's the only one I own.

The A6 code is not an error, I described that situation earlier.

Do you have a SATA drive, empty is fine, to connect to the board and the PSU? Do that, start the PC and see what happens.

The video card is in the top most PCIe x16 slot, should be labeled PCIE2 on the board?

What bothers me is, you should be getting a signal to the monitor long before POST is completer and the A6 code is shown. You should see the ASRock splash screen a few seconds after the board starts. Bad video cards are rare, but if you are reaching A6 in POST, nothing has failed POST.
_Llama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Llama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 11:15am
Right my bad I just instinctively called it an error code since that's what the thing is meant to display. Anyway, I have an ssd I can plug in although I'll need to order some more thermal paste before I put everything back together. I'm starting to think maybe it was something way simple, like not inserting the dp cable in all the way. How much of a gap should there be between the dp cable and the metal gpu cover? I tried as much as it would go but not too hard (because I was afraid it might damage it) so there was about 3 to 4 millimeters between the rubber and the-- wait I can try and take out the gpu and see how far in just to be sure, and yes the card is on the pcie2 slot just below the middle of the board.

Just wanted to make sure what the code meant, that's what was bothering me because it gave me literally no clues as to what might've been wrong. But now I think the mobo has actually been fine since I'm assuming dr debug is the same for all asrock mobos, otherwise why would they have it on the official faq.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic