ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Killer SLI Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 11:10am
Originally posted by scjconsulting scjconsulting wrote:

I only wanted RAID so I could run it on my data disks.  I know that you need identical disks to run RAID and did not want the expense or even needed it to run it on the SSD OS disk.

Originally, I ran RAID 5 over 3 disks on the HP x99 system, but found that arrangement was too slow.  I broke the RAID, installed a 1 TB SSD and put 2 data disks in a RAID 1, which is what I wanted to do here.

It looks like the motherboard won't support both types of disks.

Thanks.

What do you mean, it won't support a single, non-RAID disk and others in a RAID array?

On my X370 board, I have an NMVe SSD as the OS drive, a single SSD as a data drive, and two SSDs in a RAID 0 array. Works fine.

Intel's and AMD's RAID configuration are quite different, AMD's is more difficult to use and will classify a single drive as a "RAID drive", although it isn't.

I suggest using the RAIDXpert2 software that runs in Windows to create and administer the RAID array, rather than the BIOS and UEFI Shell method.
scjconsulting View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scjconsulting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by scjconsulting scjconsulting wrote:

I only wanted RAID so I could run it on my data disks.  I know that you need identical disks to run RAID and did not want the expense or even needed it to run it on the SSD OS disk.

Originally, I ran RAID 5 over 3 disks on the HP x99 system, but found that arrangement was too slow.  I broke the RAID, installed a 1 TB SSD and put 2 data disks in a RAID 1, which is what I wanted to do here.

It looks like the motherboard won't support both types of disks.

Thanks.

What do you mean, it won't support a single, non-RAID disk and others in a RAID array?

On my X370 board, I have an NMVe SSD as the OS drive, a single SSD as a data drive, and two SSDs in a RAID 0 array. Works fine.

Intel's and AMD's RAID configuration are quite different, AMD's is more difficult to use and will classify a single drive as a "RAID drive", although it isn't.

I suggest using the RAIDXpert2 software that runs in Windows to create and administer the RAID array, rather than the BIOS and UEFI Shell method.

The thought of software based raids bothers me.  This thought goes back long before raid was available of PCs.

I have decided to just use a data drive and the 2nd drive for backups.

Thanks you.

scjconsulting
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic